Question Using R9 390 with r9 390x(cross fire) for 3D rendering and in UNREAL ENGINE?

Sunny Kapoor

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014
OK Guys

I bought an R9 390 6 years back.

I use it for rendering in 3D and Unreal engine, where it helps to handle texture pool and large scenes. Basically, it is not about speed, more VRAM means better handling of Unreal rendering.

Now I am getting an R9 390X for a lot less, not finding r9 390 anywhere. GPU is old and outdated but my whole system is very old too.

This is my specs - CPU and motherboard 11 years old.
Intel quad-core 750 bloom field.
24 GB corsair RAM.
Sapphire r9 390 8GB.
Gigabyte server motherboard - x58-ud7
Cooler Master 700W PSU

Now if I add and buy another r9 390x and connect in crossfire (I will need a new PSU maybe) will it increase the VRAM to 16GB?

I am not interested in playing games, but making them and especially cinematics in Unreal. I will earn and invest in a new system next year but for this year I need the current system to work for rendering movies to make the money.

Should I go for crossfire? Will it double the VRAM?

or just adding two GPUs will combine and increase the rendering speed. I think without crossfire, they might not add the VRAM.

Please suggest???

Also, I am planning to shift to Linux as windows have gone very unstable for me(16 reboots in 4 hrs with no reboots in Linux, even after reinstalling windows 10 recently), so I am planning to use one GPU for Linux and one GPU to (use PCI-express device pass-through – eg, you allocate a full GPU to the virtual machine) run windows on VMware to run all 3D software. For this, I might not use crossfire. Is this even possible?

This will still cost me, with a good PSU about 35K INR.

Do you think this is worth it or I should better invest in a new system next year - I am planning on 64 cores AMD, 2 x 3090 with NVI link, and 2 TB RAM with another gigabyte server motherboard?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

Sunny Kapoor

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014
Well If VRAM will not double, then I do not need to buy another GPU.

Now only thing is will I be able to setup one GPU completely to the VMWARE in linux?

Will Navi LInk double the VRAM IN 3090?

I know a recent quad core will be faster, but I am using real time rendering, so GPU will matter, rendering can be done very fast and cpu will not be required. CPU cores are required for compiling shaders.

I better invest in the 64 core in future instead of 4 core now.