meztezack

Prominent
Nov 18, 2018
So a friend of mine has this weird setup he did , he uses vga port connected to the monitor and at the same time hes able to use the dedicated gpu to run gpu on the monitor. Is it safe to keep running this setup? it works pretty fine and i do not know if it has any performance hit.
SPEC:
Ryzen 3 2200g
8gb 2x4 ddr4 2666mhz ram
gtx 1050ti
Asus a320 prime m-k

Solution
You can have one monitor connected to the iGPU and have windows output the 1050ti to this monitor,you could also do the opposite.
Opening the graphics settings in windows 10 allows you to pick what GPU you want to use with any app and they will output to whatever is connected.

@meztezack No there is no problem at all there is just a tiny bit of lag from rerouting the signal but it's not even noticeable.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be safe. There's no danger here.

It's a little confusing what the setup is otherwise from your explanation. Does he have one monitor or two? If they're both connected to one monitor, he takes a performance hit if he's using the VGA input instead of the other one.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Not exactly sure what you mean by "use the dedicated gpu to run gpu on the monitor"

But, if you mean that he has one monitor connected to 1050ti and 1 monitor to the built in GPU ofthe CPU, thats perfectly fine.

You can have one monitor connected to the iGPU and have windows output the 1050ti to this monitor,you could also do the opposite.
Opening the graphics settings in windows 10 allows you to pick what GPU you want to use with any app and they will output to whatever is connected.

@meztezack No there is no problem at all there is just a tiny bit of lag from rerouting the signal but it's not even noticeable.

Solution

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019

Sorry, im still not following. Are we talking about having 1 and the same monitor both connected to iGPU and the dGPU?

Sorry, im still not following. Are we talking about having 1 and the same monitor both connected to iGPU and the dGPU?
It's only connected to one of them but windows now gives you the option to select which of the two GPUs apps will use,until now apps would only run on the GPU that would be connected to the display unless the app itself had an option to select GPUs,if you had the iGPU connected to the display then everything would use the iGPU for graphics,not anymore you can choose now.

Reactions: Spaceghaze

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
It's only connected to one of them but windows now gives you the option to select which of the two GPUs apps will use,until now apps would only run on the GPU that would be connected to the display unless the app itself had an option to select GPUs,if you had the iGPU connected to the display then everything would use the iGPU for graphics,not anymore you can choose now.

Thank you for clearing that up, i was not aware of this feature.

meztezack

Prominent
Nov 18, 2018
No. If your display is connected to the motherboard output, programs you see will only use the on-board graphics. There is no way to utilize a discrete graphics card's power and display it through the motherboard's graphics.

-Wolf sends
I actually ran msi afterburner to check wat gpu was being used and I can choose between both gpus freely. If I chose the dgpu , the igpu sits at 400mhz idling and vice versa. I haven't heard of this thing before and that's why I asked here whether it was safe to do so.