[SOLVED] Various websites loading extremely slow

MrEpix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
I was hoping to find an answer on why certain websites namely the most annoying of them being YouTube run so extremely slow on my PC. I have done all the troubleshooting I can on my end and have found no certain answer. My original theory was that my ISP was throttling me on certain sites, however I have come to believe that it may be something on my end as the only device that seems to be affected is my PC. When I say loading slow, I mean that even 144p will cause nonstop buffering on any and all videos.

Tests I have done
  1. Used multiple browsers with no extensions loaded
  2. Ran virus scans on the entire drive
  3. Blocked the recommended IP ranges for certain CDN's in relation to possible throttling
  4. Ran internet speeds tests whilst YouTube is playing. Consistently I get 1gb/s regardless of what activities I am doing through multiple services that provide said speeds tests
  5. Checked performance on my gf's PC which is directly next to mine with hers having no buffering issues. We are both plugged directly into the router through ethernet
  6. Contacted my ISP through the BBB having them adamantly deny any throttling or 'slow lane' traffic routing on anything I do
  7. Tried using different ethernet ports on both PC and router
  8. Checked router settings in regards to my PC to see if bandwidth was limited on that end
  9. Checked stats for nerds on webplayer which states I average about 50kbps
  10. Changed DNS settings to run off of Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1
It is important to note that I can make this issue go away through use of a VPN and I understand that logically does limit what the issue should be. However, as stated above being that my computer is the only device in the entire household that has this issue leads me to question what may actually be happening. This is not the most significant issue as I do have a "fix" being my VPN however it is an annoyance and a question that has left me very confused. Even with ISP throttling, I don't believe my speeds should be that slow given I pay for 1gb/s internet. I am also using Windows 11 if that makes any difference and this issue occurs on downloading/watching certain content on various sites, YouTube being the biggest offender. This issue does not occur for all internet activities as gaming bandwidth is unaffected.

Solution
I was hoping to find an answer on why certain websites namely the most annoying of them being YouTube run so extremely slow on my PC. I have done all the troubleshooting I can on my end and have found no certain answer. My original theory was that my ISP was throttling me on certain sites, however I have come to believe that it may be something on my end as the only device that seems to be affected is my PC. When I say loading slow, I mean that even 144p will cause nonstop buffering on any and all videos.

Tests I have done
  3. Blocked the recommended IP ranges for certain CDN's in relation to possible throttling
  4. Ran internet...

kanewolf

Titan

Tests I have done
  4. Ran internet speeds tests whilst YouTube is playing. Consistently I get 1gb/s regardless of what activities I am doing through multiple services that provide said speeds tests
  5. Checked performance on my gf's PC which is directly next to mine with hers having no buffering issues. We are both plugged directly into the router through ethernet
  6. Contacted my ISP through the BBB having them adamantly deny any throttling or 'slow lane' traffic routing on anything I do
  7. Tried using different ethernet ports on both PC and router
  8. Checked router settings in regards to my PC to see if bandwidth was limited on that end
  9. Checked stats for nerds on webplayer which states I average about 50kbps
  10. Changed DNS settings to run off of Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1
It is important to note that I can make this issue go away through use of a VPN and I understand that logically does limit what the issue should be. However, as stated above being that my computer is the only device in the entire household that has this issue leads me to question what may actually be happening. This is not the most significant issue as I do have a "fix" being my VPN however it is an annoyance and a question that has left me very confused. Even with ISP throttling, I don't believe my speeds should be that slow given I pay for 1gb/s internet. I am also using Windows 11 if that makes any difference and this issue occurs on downloading/watching certain content on various sites, YouTube being the biggest offender. This issue does not occur for all internet activities as gaming bandwidth is unaffected.
Start by disabling IPv6 on your PC. IPv6 shouldn't be a problem, but it many times is.

Reactions: MrEpix
Solution