Question Veracrypt - Encrypt spare C boot drives for same computer but using a USB caddie instead

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
I have 2 spare boot drives for same computer. i want to fully encrypt them using a usb caddie but as it is a "system encryption", it requires that test stage with "boot" and you put in password and it goes through then does the full encryption. WILL it allow me to do it this way through the caddie , or does every boot drive need to be the ONLY C drive that the computer is actually running right then, so i would need to plug each of them in as C drive with only one c drive with no caddie? I want to keep working with current up to date fast C drive while i encrypt the other 2 spare Boot drives through the Caddie.

The other option would be to clone to the caddie from current encrypted C drive to spare drives but would the "bit by bit copy" include the special Verycrypt boot leader ect from the c drive to those drives? Anyone who knows Veracrypt and knows the actual solution would appreciate your reply.

Why encrypt ALL your drives? No brainer. Break ins, they steal your computer and all your data, passwords, bank details ect . Veracrypt deincrypts all your data you request through RAM and no unencrypted data is put back on your HD. So its totally safe and just needs a Password at each boot using its own special boot loader.

thanks

Last edited:

Tim042

Reputable
Sep 10, 2020
Yes i understand you cant "boot" from anything but the USB sockets on the motherboard basically. My question was unlike a "storage" drive which i have encrypted many times using the caddy, i was asking if i can do same for a spare C drive except the extra step is for "test" part where computer restarts and you put in password and it ok's all that and then encrypts. i guessing this step either can be done or not in the caddy as someone must have asked it? I have swap out c drives with diff windows on them and clones as well as drives can just fail.
1. You can't take a regular "C drive", put it in a USB enclosure, and expect it to just boot up.

2. Why the encryption?

As for what the system sees as the C drive....whatever drive it does boot from IS the "C".

USAFRet

Titan
Yes i understand you cant "boot" from anything but the USB sockets on the motherboard basically. My question was unlike a "storage" drive which i have encrypted many times using the caddy, i was asking if i can do same for a spare C drive except the extra step is for "test" part where computer restarts and you put in password and it ok's all that and then encrypts. i guessing this step either can be done or not in the caddy as someone must have asked it? I have swap out c drives with diff windows on them and clones as well as drives can just fail.
No, you don't boot from "USB" anything.
Either a motherboard USB port or external.

Are these drives to be just a backup of the regular OS drive, to be used when/if the original fails??
If so, there are better ways to do this.

Again, why the encryption?