Question very odd powerline issue..

Oct 27, 2022
hi guys trying to scramble my head at the minute...i have community fibre gigabit and i am using a powerline capable of 1gb with adjacent cat 6 cables either side....one of them is on an extension lead as my power outlet is too low to plug any ethernet into....i only get about 60-120 mbps....i then tried my older powerline which can fully fit into the two wall outlets and yet again im getting the same speeds......i am about a meter/two meters away from the router itself...could anyone help me out here? pulling my hair out lol!

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about the environment you are describing.

This connectivity? (My line diagram representation as I understand your post.)

? < ----- > Cat 6 Ethernet cable < ----> Community Fibre Gigabit < --- > Cat 6 Ethernet cable < ------> ?

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram.

Show the wall outlets and router along with any other devices or connections along the problem path.

The network speed will only be as fast as the slowest cable, connection, or device in the network.

Likely a bad cable but more needs to be known.

Are all cables UTP, pure copper (no copper clad aluminum) round AWG 22-24? Should be printed on the cable(s) but there are many fake/counterfeit cables being sold.

Where did you get your cables?

Your main problem is you actually believe the marketing lies. I am sure they do not actually say anyplace you can get full gigabit speeds. They play stupid games like say it has gigabit ethernet or they talk about something like av2-1000. And even that is a lie the actual standards are av2-600 and av2-1200 they just renamed then 1000 and 2000 when a different type of powerline encoding enter the market and use 1000 and 2000 numbers.

You can tell the manufacture are telling outright lies when they talk about a product like the older av500 units but they only put 100mbps ethernet ports on them. This means they know very well that they will get nowhere close to even 100mbps rates.

The numbers you are seeing are more or less what you would expect from powerline units. You might get higher number if you did something silly like plug them both into the same power strip.

Note using a extension cord is not optimum but it more because they can pick up interference more easily than the in wall wires. If they are fairly short they generally don't make much difference but it is still not a recommended option if you can directly plug them into a outlet.

Oct 27, 2022
Your main problem is you actually believe the marketing lies. I am sure they do not actually say anyplace you can get full gigabit speeds. They play stupid games like say it has gigabit ethernet or they talk about something like av2-1000. And even that is a lie the actual standards are av2-600 and av2-1200 they just renamed then 1000 and 2000 when a different type of powerline encoding enter the market and use 1000 and 2000 numbers.

You can tell the manufacture are telling outright lies when they talk about a product like the older av500 units but they only put 100mbps ethernet ports on them. This means they know very well that they will get nowhere close to even 100mbps rates.

The numbers you are seeing are more or less what you would expect from powerline units. You might get higher number if you did something silly like plug them both into the same power strip.

Note using a extension cord is not optimum but it more because they can pick up interference more easily than the in wall wires. If they are fairly short they generally don't make much difference but it is still not a recommended option if you can directly plug them into a outlet.
i disagree as my uncle had 600 mbps virgin and i ended up getting about 300/400 on it before i moved to my nans so its not all marketing lies =P

Oct 27, 2022

? < ----- > Cat 6 Ethernet cable < ----> Community Fibre Gigabit < --- > Cat 6 Ethernet cable < ------> ?

Show the wall outlets and router along with any other devices or connections along the problem path.

The network speed will only be as fast as the slowest cable, connection, or device in the network.

Are all cables UTP, pure copper (no copper clad aluminum) round AWG 22-24? Should be printed on the cable(s) but there are many fake/counterfeit cables being sold.

so its essentially EXTENSION LEAD >CAT 6 CABLE > powerline adapter> (through the walls) then POWERLINE ADAPTER>cat 6 cable> router...

Oct 27, 2022
i have chosen to order an AX wifi adapter for my computer and im certain it will work only as my phone which is AC is picking up about 400/600 download upload so AX will only be better....i think its the circuits within the building are old or something i cant change within the house so ive ordered a high speed wifi adapter!

Oct 27, 2022

also to answer your questions....the cables arent crap they are about within 22-24 awg size...i think both are 22 AWG? as ive checked the outside of the cable....and ive got them from amazon....to be honest though even if they were "crap" as per say you would still think they would perform better regardless as it is a 1gigabit connect (yes i know i wont get the whole shabang) but at least a little more...200/250 maybe?

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

"EXTENSION LEAD >CAT 6 CABLE > powerline adapter> (through the walls) then POWERLINE ADAPTER>cat 6 cable> router... "

Expand the line diagram to show all components, phone, adapter, etc..

And I would not put much faith in any cables being sold anywhere - especially online purchases. Cables can easily be falsely labeled, made of substandard materials, poorly assembled, and never tested. But into the shipping box they go....

Also:

"i think its the circuits within the building are old or something i cant change within the house". May well be the case. Network performance will be only as fast as the slowest link no matter where that link is in the greater scheme of things.

Be very wary of claims such as "high speed wifi adapter". Most advertised specs were determined under ideal circumstances that are not achievable in the real world.

Generally most devices receive better than they transmit. There are rules and regulations limiting output power.

You still seem to blindly believe marketing information without spending the time to understand what all the numbers mean. This is really no different than when they put "new and improved" on the box but most people have learned about that lie.

Getting 300-400mbps on powerline can be done in very optimum conditions like using them in the same room or even on different rooms that are close and on the same electrical circuit. This is a best case and still nowhere near 1gbit or 2gbit.
The marketing guys would call a ethernet cable 2gbit if it wasn't so commonly called 1gbit. Ethernet can send 1gbit and receive 1gbit at the same time. Unlike other technologies ethernet can actually hit these rates.

If you are already getting 400-600 on a 802.11ac devices it is not likely you are going to get any better and I strongly suspect you are testing very close to the router to get numbers like that most people get in the 300mbps range at a more normal distances.

Again you need to learn the details there are multiple variations of wifi6..ie 802.11ax. The more common one and much cheaper versions only support 80mhz radio channels which is exactly the same as 802.11ac. It is the ability to run 160mhz radio channels that makes wifi6 faster. The reason they do this is because there are all kinds of rules related to avoiding stuff like weather radar that you have when you attempt to use 160mhz radio bands. Many devices just decided to avoid the issue and only support 80mhz radio. In addition the second feature that makes 802.11ax faster is the use of qam1024 encoding. Since this is a very dense radio encoding it is much more suseptible to damage from interfering signals...like your neighbors wifi. Because of this you generally can only get qam1024 to work in the same room as the router.

In the end wifi6 is mostly a waste of money. Most people see almost no difference in the performance between 802.11ac and 802.11ax.

Your best option if you are going to buy stuff is to get wifi6e. This runs on the 6ghz radio band where there is a lot more allowed radio bandwidth so there will be much less interference and you don't have the radar avoidance issues. Don't expect though to get gigabit speeds most people in your average house are reporting about 600-700.

You have to also be careful about chasing big numbers. Most people barely even need 100mbps for a family. The only thing that needs more speed is file downloads and I guess it depends on how much you do it. When you look at the costs to say buy a 1gbit internet compared to say 300mbps per month how much extra are you spending each month to cut a couple minutes of download. Your case is similar are you sure your powerline connections are not good enough.

It also depends on what you are doing wifi maybe much worse even though it is faster. Many people on this forum are playing online games. Games need almost no bandwidth, other than when you first download them. They use maybe 1mbps up and down and having more does not make them run any better.
Wifi is very subject to random interference which causes the data to get random latency. This can cause lag spikes in games. For games you are better off using a slower powerline connection than a faster wifi.

Oct 27, 2022
You still seem to blindly believe marketing information without spending the time to understand what all the numbers mean. This is really no different than when they put "new and improved" on the box but most people have learned about that lie.

Getting 300-400mbps on powerline can be done in very optimum conditions like using them in the same room or even on different rooms that are close and on the same electrical circuit. This is a best case and still nowhere near 1gbit or 2gbit.
The marketing guys would call a ethernet cable 2gbit if it wasn't so commonly called 1gbit. Ethernet can send 1gbit and receive 1gbit at the same time. Unlike other technologies ethernet can actually hit these rates.

If you are already getting 400-600 on a 802.11ac devices it is not likely you are going to get any better and I strongly suspect you are testing very close to the router to get numbers like that most people get in the 300mbps range at a more normal distances.

Again you need to learn the details there are multiple variations of wifi6..ie 802.11ax. The more common one and much cheaper versions only support 80mhz radio channels which is exactly the same as 802.11ac. It is the ability to run 160mhz radio channels that makes wifi6 faster. The reason they do this is because there are all kinds of rules related to avoiding stuff like weather radar that you have when you attempt to use 160mhz radio bands. Many devices just decided to avoid the issue and only support 80mhz radio. In addition the second feature that makes 802.11ax faster is the use of qam1024 encoding. Since this is a very dense radio encoding it is much more suseptible to damage from interfering signals...like your neighbors wifi. Because of this you generally can only get qam1024 to work in the same room as the router.

In the end wifi6 is mostly a waste of money. Most people see almost no difference in the performance between 802.11ac and 802.11ax.

Your best option if you are going to buy stuff is to get wifi6e. This runs on the 6ghz radio band where there is a lot more allowed radio bandwidth so there will be much less interference and you don't have the radar avoidance issues. Don't expect though to get gigabit speeds most people in your average house are reporting about 600-700.

You have to also be careful about chasing big numbers. Most people barely even need 100mbps for a family. The only thing that needs more speed is file downloads and I guess it depends on how much you do it. When you look at the costs to say buy a 1gbit internet compared to say 300mbps per month how much extra are you spending each month to cut a couple minutes of download. Your case is similar are you sure your powerline connections are not good enough.

It also depends on what you are doing wifi maybe much worse even though it is faster. Many people on this forum are playing online games. Games need almost no bandwidth, other than when you first download them. They use maybe 1mbps up and down and having more does not make them run any better.
Wifi is very subject to random interference which causes the data to get random latency. This can cause lag spikes in games. For games you are better off using a slower powerline connection than a faster wifi.
oh of course i know i wont be getting bang on a gigabit ive known that since the start of getting into tech lol i would be happy with half the speed (500?) ive ordered an AX adapter wifi card for my PC which (if my maths is correct) should HOPEFULLY give me a tad better then my phone wifi i tried which was about 591 download? heck id even be good with 3/400 lol my phone wifi is AC max on it (not 6E as its a xiaomi 10T lite 5g) and achieved great speeds for the wifi from my room which is about 2/3 meters away? literally next door so im optimistic i can get good speeds

Oct 27, 2022
Reference:

"EXTENSION LEAD >CAT 6 CABLE > powerline adapter> (through the walls) then POWERLINE ADAPTER>cat 6 cable> router... "

Expand the line diagram to show all components, phone, adapter, etc..

And I would not put much faith in any cables being sold anywhere - especially online purchases. Cables can easily be falsely labeled, made of substandard materials, poorly assembled, and never tested. But into the shipping box they go....

Also:

"i think its the circuits within the building are old or something i cant change within the house". May well be the case. Network performance will be only as fast as the slowest link no matter where that link is in the greater scheme of things.

Be very wary of claims such as "high speed wifi adapter". Most advertised specs were determined under ideal circumstances that are not achievable in the real world.

Generally most devices receive better than they transmit. There are rules and regulations limiting output power.
oh i know ive tried different cat 6 cables and nothing has changed i do generally think it is the wiring within the house being poor for transmitting signal around so as i said ive got an AX adapter on the way lets see how she goes!

Nov 10, 2022
hi guys trying to scramble my head at the minute...i have community fibre gigabit and i am using a powerline capable of 1gb with adjacent cat 6 cables either side....one of them is on an extension lead as my power outlet is too low to plug any ethernet into....i only get about 60-120 mbps....i then tried my older powerline which can fully fit into the two wall outlets and yet again im getting the same speeds......i am about a meter/two meters away from the router itself...could anyone help me out here? pulling my hair out lol!
Don't really Know if this would help you. But i purchase 6 Use TP Links Powerlines .. and one thing that i notice is that i had to go tho there website and down load there software for the Powerlines..
it help me Reset each one to Factory settings..
and that help me alot... through the software it help me get more control of each Power line...
Hope this Help you in some way..