Question Very slow internet on one PC, but all other devices are fine

Chokachilds

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
Context: I went to go eat dinner for about 30 minutes. My PC was doing nothing in the meantime. Just the regular Chrome browsers open. When I come back, my internet is very slow. Download speeds barely break 3Mbps, when I usually average 40-50Mbps. My ping is consistently ~150. However, all other devices in my network are performing as expected in terms of internet performance. It's only this PC that suddenly had an issue.

Here are things that I've tried:

• Reset my Modem/Router
  • ipconfig /release /flushdns /renew
  • Reset Winsock
  • Turned autotuning off using netsh command
  • Used netsh commands to reset TCP
  • Changed DNS addresses
  • Ran PC in Safe Mode with Networking, but internet speeds were still slow
  • System Restored to an earlier point in time where internet was fine
  • Checked Task Manager and Resource Monitor for any conflicting programs that may have slowed the internet down. Nothing.
  • Ran a System Scan of PC for any Malware/Viruses. Nothing.
After a few hours of troubleshooting, I'm all out of options at this point. I would really prefer not to have to reset Windows. Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
First thing I suggest you do is establish whether this is a software or a hardware issue, and the easiest way to do that would be to use a live Linux distro, such as Manjaro:
Use either Rufus or Universal USB Installer to put it on a flash drive:
Then boot from it (you'd need to restart your computer, and check the on-screen text, look for something along the lines of "Press X for boot device selection"
Anyways, after Manjaro loads, I'd suggest you use speedtest.net or fast.com for testing the connection speed. Let me know how it goes.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS