Question Very slow internet on one PC, but all other devices are fine

Chokachilds

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
Context: I went to go eat dinner for about 30 minutes. My PC was doing nothing in the meantime. Just the regular Chrome browsers open. When I come back, my internet is very slow. Download speeds barely break 3Mbps, when I usually average 40-50Mbps. My ping is consistently ~150. However, all other devices in my network are performing as expected in terms of internet performance. It's only this PC that suddenly had an issue.

Here are things that I've tried:

• Reset my Modem/Router
  • ipconfig /release /flushdns /renew
  • Reset Winsock
  • Turned autotuning off using netsh command
  • Used netsh commands to reset TCP
  • Changed DNS addresses
  • Ran PC in Safe Mode with Networking, but internet speeds were still slow
  • System Restored to an earlier point in time where internet was fine
  • Checked Task Manager and Resource Monitor for any conflicting programs that may have slowed the internet down. Nothing.
  • Ran a System Scan of PC for any Malware/Viruses. Nothing.

After a few hours of troubleshooting, I'm all out of options at this point. I would really prefer not to have to reset Windows. Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
First thing I suggest you do is establish whether this is a software or a hardware issue, and the easiest way to do that would be to use a live Linux distro, such as Manjaro:
Use either Rufus or Universal USB Installer to put it on a flash drive:
Then boot from it (you'd need to restart your computer, and check the on-screen text, look for something along the lines of "Press X for boot device selection"
Anyways, after Manjaro loads, I'd suggest you use speedtest.net or fast.com for testing the connection speed. Let me know how it goes.