hvjornjet

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Hi all.
So to the point, I've recently bought an SSD and it ran for 4 days no problems.
SSD was bought about 4 days ago or so, yesterday it disconnected (drive D that used to appear in devices and drivers disappeared, then I had to go and unplug everything and plug back to ensure cables were attached fine, then it works again), and then when booting up the system everything started to be slower than usual, system took about 4 to 5 times more time to boot up than before, and I'm not even booting my system through this SSD, I have another SSD that has OS on it. Right now I'm booting fast as usual. Main problem is the speeds. I've made a benchmarks of the speed with last version of CrystalDiskMark 6.

How I noticed it is I launched a game yesterday and it just broke and I had to delete it (which was weird to me as it never happened), then I tried launching other games from that same SSD, they did ran, ran fine, but the speeds of loading are a lot slower. It seems like I'm running them not from an SSD but from some poor old slow HDD.

So here's the first image which I took the first day I bought the SSD, I always do test benchmarks of storage drives of any kind, speeds were good. As I said before I used CrystalDiskMark 6 latest version.
QNqnv5.jpg

Second screenshot I made today and the speeds are significantly lower. Copying files takes long, games do run fine but loading speeds are of an HDD.
VTwNar.jpg

Screenshot from the CrystalDiskInfo
7fCjAp.jpg

Screenshot from SSDlife Pro
sRFAhw.jpg

Counting on your help guys. I really don't want to go through all that mess of sending it back and refunding, maybe there's something I did and this can easily be solved.

Forgot to say, yesterday I've noticed these slow speeds then I reinstalled the drive (switched cables, switched the wire entries, basically swapped sides) and ran the bench again and speeds were good, but not for long. And from this day this SSD doesn't run faster than those 20mb/s.
<Mod edit - contact details removed for privacy>

Have a good day.
Respectfully
- Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Update the firmware of the SSD by the manufacturer´s tool of this SSD

Can you check the SSD in another PC?

If not:
Which motherboard are you using?

Did you try different SATA ports of your motherboard? Use native SATAIII ports from the chipset of the motherboard if possible.

Update/flash the motherboard´s BIOS (within BIOS, not windows)

If not:

Did you try different SATA ports of your motherboard? Use native SATAIII ports from the chipset of the motherboard if possible.

Solution

hvjornjet

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019

If not:

My motherboard is ASRock 970M Pro3
Yes I did try to plug this SSD to other ports, no effect
There's an app for this SSD but it doesn't allow updating drivers or anything, it only has trim function, erasing and stuff that I doubt will help me.
What are "native" ports of the motherboard? I only have SATA3 ports in my 970M Pro3

Some motherboards have 3rd party sata3 chips with different ports than the chipset itself can control. But your 970 chipset board "only" has native ports, which is usually the better, more compatible type of port.

Is the motherboard in SATA ->AHCI or ->IDE mode? easiest way to check would be using the tool AS SSD
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6014-as-ssd-benchmark.html

Can you check the health/status/diagnostics of the SSD with the ADATA Tool box?

Are the latest AMD chipset and SATA drivers installed from AMD.com?

Last edited:

hvjornjet

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Some motherboards have 3rd party sata3 chips with different ports than the chipset itself can control. But your 970 chipset board "only" has native ports, which is usually the better, more compatible type of port.

Is the motherboard in SATA ->AHCI or ->IDE mode? easiest way to check would be using the tool AS SSD
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6014-as-ssd-benchmark.html

Can you check the health/status of the SSD with the SSD app?

Are the latest AMD chipset and SATA drivers installed from AMD.com?
Drivers are installed as this same SSD worked a day ago at full speed, nothing could change.
Speeds are as ridiculously slow, I didn't even bother wait for the full test as it's obvious SSD isn't working properly
N80TcS.jpg

Drive health from the app provided by the manufacturer of this SSD
n2zwfH.jpg

hvjornjet

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
And the firmware button in the menu Utilities can´t be clicked in the tool box of ADATA?
And the firmware button in the menu Utilities can´t be clicked in the tool box of ADATA?
I will do that.. Somehow pressing firmware update tells me everything will be erased so I'll move all the files with ridiculously low speed to another drive and get back to you.
And just as an example here's the speed of my other SSD that's installed in the same PC right now
tAyfLF.jpg