Nov 29, 2021
So I recently managed to find a good deal on the i7 11700 and I've since upgraded from my R5 1600 to it.
I've had my system for 2 years now with 0 problems. I know all of the hardware works for sure except for the new motherboard, I've heard that there can be semi-frequent duds.

So far I've been able to get it to post and go into BIOS only for it to not recognize my SSD as a boot drive despite windows being installed on it. Another issue is that when I try to install my RX 580 into any of the PCIe slots (swapped it around like 7 times, triple-checked that everything was plugged in right) the VGA light comes on and prevents the PC from posting. Taking the GPU out allows the system to boot only to get stuck in the BIOS screen because my m.2 ssd isn't recognized as a boot drive (note: it does show up under "Storage information"). I would very much prefer to not delete all of my data with a fresh windows install, if anyone knows how to do a fresh install without deleting personal data that'd be amazing.

CPU: R5 1600 -> i7 11700
Motherboard: ASUS B450 A-CSM -> ASUS Prime B560M-A
Cooler: AMD Wraith -> Vetroo V5
RAM: 4x8gb Kingston 2400mhz
GPU: MSI RX 580
SSD: Crucial P1 512 GB
HDD: old western digital pulled from old laptop (500gb) for games and whatnot
PSU: Thermaltake 650W 80 Plus Bronze

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021
Might have to upgrade the ram to at least 3200mhz, I believe that is the minimum for the 11700...
I have previously researched this and I found that "The highest officially supported memory speed is 3200 MHz ". Whether or not that holds true, I'm pretty sure that it supports the memory considering that it was able to boot into bios with it with no issues.

My bad, would you be willing to boot up a linux usb like ubuntu in live mode?

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1-getting-started

This should get your system up and running to test at least, and should be able to browse the files on the drive if all is well - for windows 10 install to preserve data the repair install should be the option you want... (edit - once you get to boot windows 10, which might be difficult with such a drastic HW change - using the linux usb to recover your files might be an option along with a fresh install might be the last resort)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021
My bad, would you be willing to boot up a linux usb like ubuntu in live mode?

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1-getting-started

This should get your system up and running to test at least, and should be able to browse the files on the drive if all is well - for windows 10 install to preserve data the repair install should be the option you want... (edit - once you get to boot windows 10, which might be difficult with such a drastic HW change - using the linux usb to recover your files might be an option along with a fresh install might be the last resort)
I'll give it a shot when my USB is delivered in a couple of days. Any ideas on the GPU issue?

DSzymborski

Titan
So I recently managed to find a good deal on the i7 11700 and I've since upgraded from my R5 1600 to it.
I've had my system for 2 years now with 0 problems. I know all of the hardware works for sure except for the new motherboard, I've heard that there can be semi-frequent duds.

So far I've been able to get it to post and go into BIOS only for it to not recognize my SSD as a boot drive despite windows being installed on it. Another issue is that when I try to install my RX 580 into any of the PCIe slots (swapped it around like 7 times, triple-checked that everything was plugged in right) the VGA light comes on and prevents the PC from posting. Taking the GPU out allows the system to boot only to get stuck in the BIOS screen because my m.2 ssd isn't recognized as a boot drive (note: it does show up under "Storage information"). I would very much prefer to not delete all of my data with a fresh windows install, if anyone knows how to do a fresh install without deleting personal data that'd be amazing.

CPU: R5 1600 -> i7 11700
Motherboard: ASUS B450 A-CSM -> ASUS Prime B560M-A
Cooler: AMD Wraith -> Vetroo V5
RAM: 4x8gb Kingston 2400mhz
GPU: MSI RX 580
SSD: Crucial P1 512 GB
HDD: old western digital pulled from old laptop (500gb) for games and whatnot
PSU: Thermaltake 650W 80 Plus Bronze

The obvious question would be if the GPU still works if you put it back on the old board (you can breadbox if you don't want to do the whole thing of removing the new one from the case). We want to remove variables here, after all.

As for the fresh install, isn't this personal data backed up? Data should always be backed up properly and if this data wasn't backed up before a major upgrade like this, that is doubly concerning; it certainly should never be assumed that slapping an old install on a new platform will just work. Windows is not designed to be a modular OS unless you're using a very specific Windows-to-Go package.

The solution here would be to fire up the old components and back up your data. Kind of a pain, but things frequently become a pain when you cut corners.

Nov 29, 2021
The obvious question would be if the GPU still works if you put it back on the old board (you can breadbox if you don't want to do the whole thing of removing the new one from the case). We want to remove variables here, after all.

As for the fresh install, isn't this personal data backed up? Data should always be backed up properly and if this data wasn't backed up before a major upgrade like this, that is doubly concerning; it certainly should never be assumed that slapping an old install on a new platform will just work. Windows is not designed to be a modular OS unless you're using a very specific Windows-to-Go package.

The solution here would be to fire up the old components and back up your data. Kind of a pain, but things frequently become a pain when you cut corners.
I just swapped out the new hardware for the old, all works just as it did before I took it out the first time.

Nov 29, 2021
bummer, maybe swap spare PSU if you have one handy - could try removing the cpu heatsink, clean an re-paste but if temps are not too high may not help any... outside of that need a spare system to swap out and test cpu/board a bit of a pain at this point!
PSU works perfectly fine, CPU has an idle temp of 26 C in bios, the thermal paste was applied yesterday. The only bad actor here seems to be the new motherboard sadly