BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016
Hey so just a disclaimer: I can build computers but i'm not too quick with the software, especially the inner workings of it, so if there are ANY tips, no matter how obvious they may seem, just plug them in for good measure so I can cover all the ground I can

So I upgraded to my now GTX 1080 TI around 6 months ago and everything has been perfect. I especially love how it handles ray tracing, which brought me to a mod for minecraft called SEUS PTGI shaders, along with UMSEOA textures(the names aren't that important I just like to be specific). Now the textures in UMSOEA were REALLY detailed, like each side of a block being a 1024x1024 pixels. A lot to handle, but my 1080 TI put it to rest and ran it smooth as butter for hours on end with its 11GB of VRAM. I stopped playing it a few months ago, and about a week ago, tried it again. Same drivers, same software, same versions. Instantly crashed.

The error codes would differ on specifications but it always revolved around my video memory. So i updated EVERYTHING. Java, Nvidia drivers, both of the mod versions to the max, and it still crashes. What I did next was exclude the textures, and focus on the shaders, which would work accross the board without issue. Then, I did the same with the textures, only they would crash no matter what they were paired with. Vanilla minecraft with JUST textures is an instant crash. I tried other textures, instantly crashed. After reverting the software, going through hours of troubleshooting and research on the mods and java, i decided to just call it quits because java is a mess and who needs textures anyway? Well I just booted up World War 3 (early access battlefield inspired shooter) that has always played nice with my PC and it instantly crashed upon load.

The error message had the audacity to tell me to make sure my system met the video memory specifications for the game because it ran out. I've decided that something is clearly wrong with my GPU. The gpu is a EVGA SSC2 GTX 1080 TI that i've run on stock everything. I'll admit that the airflow in my case isn't as good as it should be but it's never gone past 78 degrees C, and i don't want to jump to the unlikely case that it's heat damage. So i tried to google how to sort through video memory, but everyone there had very specific issues, kind of like me, and they all had very unique solutions or unhelpful resolutions. I've posted a lot here, and have had a few of the most rare issues known to windows, but I can tell this is gonna take a while. I need anything I can get.

BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016
Turn off ray tracing and try it? Disable the mods?

GTX can run it but I'm surprised it's playable. You do have a TI though.
It ran at around 40-60fps at 1440p when i had them running. They were actually pretty well optimized and i was really impressed. I can still run them, but they run at a lower framerate now, around 25-45, most likely because of the updates and their issues that are known throughout the community that caused a down-surge in average framerates.

Edit: The first portion of your message got cut out for some reason. I put it in the post too but i did isolate the shaders and they were fine. It's the textures and my v-ram that have handicapped my gpu.