Question Virgin Media IP change and Router advice.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Good afternoon,

Can someone give me a bit of their time and expertise to ask a few possible dumb questions, so I can try to understand about my new router and IP.

Currently I am on UK virgin media Hub 3 and soon I will be going in as a new customer but under the same address, but a totally different new account ( new customer deal ) which is upgraded from 500mb to 1GB. To do this they will be supplying me with a new hub called Hub 5.

1. Will I get a totally brand new IP address. I have been banned in a good game I love and it would be nice to know I can start to play it again after all these years since I have matured now and I am no longer that little annoying snot that once was :D

2. Is the router and modem the same thing and will their IP/address change also or will anything traceable stay the same.

Look forward to any help provided.

Kind regards,

Ape.

kanewolf

Titan
Good afternoon,

Can someone give me a bit of their time and expertise to ask a few possible dumb questions, so I can try to understand about my new router and IP.

Currently I am on UK virgin media Hub 3 and soon I will be going in as a new customer but under the same address, but a totally different new account ( new customer deal ) which is upgraded from 500mb to 1GB. To do this they will be supplying me with a new hub called Hub 5.

1. Will I get a totally brand new IP address. I have been banned in a good game I love and it would be nice to know I can start to play it again after all these years since I have matured now and I am no longer that little annoying snot that once was :D

2. Is the router and modem the same thing and will their IP/address change also or will anything traceable stay the same.

Look forward to any help provided.

Kind regards,

Ape.
Only Virgin media can tell your for sure, but most likely you will get a different IP address.

Reactions: RagedAPE

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Cheers, I will give them a ring tomorrow. Could I ask do you know if there is a difference between ID's or IPs or wap or macs etc, for example would the IP if it does change have no trace back to me at all? I do have all new pc and mouse etc so no hwid traces in regards to that.

Technically they can do stuff like get the serial number of your video card or your CPU chip. Kinda like how microsoft know you have a license for windows even if you format the drive and reinstall windows.
Any company that takes it that far are idiots. Banning a IP is also silly because someone else is going to get your old IP. This is where a number of years back someone got huge lists of IP addresses banned from comcast on a game. You could just leave the modem turned off over night and you most times got a different IP.

Reactions: RagedAPE

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Thank you for the info.
I have all new hardware, new router coming so hopefully a new IP, I mean the server is a modded server and I do download files from steam workshop and another app to get the mods so technically I guess the server owner could some how use something in those files to dig deep into my network settings and mac addresses linked to that if that's even possible, see my IP might be new but the mobile phone and tablets that where linked to my old router, will re- link to my new router over wifi and maybe just maybe that creates a footprint that they could of saved before when I was banned years ago and use the same ID's against me. I don't know I could have my tin foil hat on also haha,

The game I'm banned off is just a small server, nothing for anyone to worry about.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
1- when they ban you i think they ban a certain range of IP's so that you can't access the game even when your IP changes , you need a new ISP my friend .
2- modem / router change definitely make a splash , but your internal IP won't affect your public IP afaik