epicnoble

Reputable
Jul 3, 2018
I have recently built a new PC and I had an idea to use virtual machines for gaming. I know it can be done as I have seen videos on how to create them.

But I was wondering what are the pros and cons of carrying this out?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the MAJOR con is that you do not get the full use of your GPU. so any major gaming is not gonna happen on a VM. you can easily handle casual games like you'd find on you mobile, but other than that, you won't be happy with trying to play a AAA game on a VM.

epicnoble

Reputable
Jul 3, 2018
I have seen that in Linux you are possible to import your GPU into a virtual machine. Providing you have 2 GPU's (which I do have) you can use Linux as your boot operating system. Then Windows 10 as a virtual machine with your GPU imported. So I know if carried out I'd be able to play the latest releases as my current GPU is an RTX 3080.

I was wondering what are the cons in terms of is that a limitation to what can be played. E.g. online games, due to it being a virtual machine do anti-cheat softwares know its a virtual machine or am I fine to play online games. The other major concern is input lag when using a keyboard or a controller. If you have the answers to the following questions much appreciated.