Vizio 46" lcd screen goes half black and then back on

G

I have a 46" vizio hdlcd tv. Sometimes when I turn it on the left half of the screen is all black. after a while it goes normal. It seems to go to norm faster if I leave it on a channel with bright background such as directv sports schedule. A few times it has gone half black after watching for awhile.

G

I've also had this problem with my 46" Vizio. I have tryed to get it fixed. I also took it to a TV repair shop and they were not able to do anything with it. I have gotten in touch with Vizio and they referred me to ITI who told me to send them some pictures of my problem. I had to pay 25.00 to have this company call me back to tell me there is nothing they can do because it's in the screen panal and they can not help me. I paid over 1,000 dollars for this television only for it to sit on my living room floor. Vizio said the cyrstals in the screen are messed up. Vizio responded as if this is the first time something like this has happened to there product. So Vizio is aware of this problem and they refuse to correct.

G

We have the same problem- sometimes the black goes across the top sometimes it goes down the left side and sometimes downt the right side. The problem started just before we had it a year.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
if the panel was junk.. then the computer inside the television could be made to 're-calibrate' itself to learn the current quality of the screen.
to say that the industry is extremely mastered, even then they would run the calibration to adjust for differences in temperature to keep the screen refreshing at the frequency intended.
if it is cold and requires more electricity, then the computer needs to know to give the panel more electricity.

to determine hot and cold is to also determine age.
how often it does it, well if it is under warranty now.. dont hesitate to get into contact with the company to ensure your television doesnt break soon.

sometimes that computer will calibrate itself until the voltage needed to drive the panel simply doesnt exist, and then the television is broken because the panel doesnt match the voltage available from the circuit board.

no other reason to see the black bars on different parts of the screen.
but
i suppose i could imagine another reason..
if there was some voltage instability going on somewhere on the panel.. then the whole section would have to be shut off to 'prevent a fight' or 'prevent a riot'
and that would mean something is obviously not right, otherwise those electrical riots wouldnt start to form.

ever think about a tornado starting to spin and wish an airplane would fly through the clouds to stop the tornado from spinning before it reaches the ground and does damage?
maybe something like that is happening.
like.. you know the keyboard has wires inside for each key, and if two wires where arguing.. it might be a hot spot under the keys.
to prevent that spot from getting too hot and melting something.. the computer monitors it and shuts those keys off for a second.

choices of the designers.
have it looked at it by an electrical person.. or contact vizio since it is their product and they should know what is going on.
i'd say if you ask vizio about it and they say 'there is no reason to be alarmed' and the television breaks soon after.. then you could hold vizio liable for the television because they should have told you to bring it to an electronics repair person.

maybe vizio cant give you an answer unless the electrical person gathers some voltage information to know if the television is suffering and using high voltages to stay alive.

fabiop

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
We have the same problem- sometimes the black goes across the top sometimes it goes down the left side and sometimes downt the right side. The problem started just before we had it a year.

Same problem with mine....this sounds like a major defect with VIZIO brand HDTV.
Stop buying the VIZIO brand, make known the brand has problems and may be VIZIO will eventually wise up.

NOVISUAL

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I have had the same problem for 2 years. the screen now alternates from one side to the other. it will also turn red and or green with lines blinking through it. i have taken it apart looking for burned areas with none found. i got so mad i slapped the screen and the screen went normal ??? but as soon as i turn it off and back on the problem comes back. i have a brother with the same tv, we bought them at the same time. his was fine until he mounted it on the wall. the moment he turned it on bang it started to the samething mine does. mine has been mounted on the wall since new. we put his back on the stand but the damage had been done. go figure. i will never buy another Vizio. or as i like to call them NO VISUAL. ohh and good luck calling vizio they wont even help when they are under warrenty.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
sounds like electronic inteference that was bouncing off the wall and back onto the television.

look at the price tags on the vizio televisions most of the time.
gotta do something to save some money.

and more importantly.. what is the component on the circuit board that is affected by the electronic interference?
(or was it extra heat bouncing off the wall and back onto the television?)

a fan.. a heatsink.. or some EFI paper might do wonders to keep the television stable.

kwheat

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

We have had the same problem. Probably started about the same time. Be assured mounting the tv has nothing to do with the problem. Ours has never been mounted, and we are experiencing the same things. We have only experienced the darkness on the right side of our screen. The only solution is to whack it. We have whacked it on the back, the side, etc. It comes back on normal. Some times it takes a few times. Other than that, the only time it is turned off is at night.

Its a shame that you have to spend $1K plus to learn a lesson on what not to buy and to find out what crummy service a company can provide. I usually research items of this magnitude for months extensively. I did not this time. I have taught myself a lesson: "due diligence" is ALWAYS called for when purchasing a brand you do not have previous experience with. Wait awhile and let someone else be the guinea pig to save $$$$$$$ and your sanity. :pt1cable:

aprilw1987

Honorable
May 8, 2012
we are having the same problem with out 46 inch vizio. only now nothing helps. the left side of the screen stays dark. very disappointed and as a sales associate i will direct people away from vizio from now on. our tv started out getting dark but a slight slap would help. then it got to the point that we couldnt turn it off because the whole screen went funny and had all kinds of colored lines running down it unless you left it on for an hour, so we had to stop shutting ours off. last night is when the left side of the screen crapped out for good and nothing helps it, it just stays dark! Screw vizio!

ActionFaction

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
46" Vizio left side stays dark for about 45 minutes . Slapping the back of the TV corrects problem at first. Fade to black eventually moved to right side and even after several hours would not correct itself. Vizio unwilling to assist as TV exceeded warranty period. Problem unfortunately solved by purchasing a brand new LG 60" LED. I will never purchase another VIZIO product again. Extremely disappointed in VIZIO quality and customer service.

atherae

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Had the same issue with my Vizio, left side top to bottom, bought it at Costco. My TV was still under warranty, the directed me to Vizio, which like some other reply's, asked me to send 3 pic's then call them,, Well turns out, they are sending me a new TV. They must have realized that too many people were complaining. They are also sending me pre-paid label to send it back in the box the new one will come in.. So, for $44.00, I purchased an extended warranty, it is for 4 years, after the 2 years it comes with... So, I would contact Vizio direct at 877-878-4946 Monday-Friday 8:00AM to 10:00PM CST and Saturday/Sunday 10:00AM to 6:00PM CST... They said I will have my NEW TV in 5 to 7 days..... .. My advice to all of you, is just to call, send the requested 3 pic's (they will send you a link), after you receive the conformation they received your pic's, which is right after up-load, call them asap... The whole process took 35 minuets,,,, Good luck :bounce: Happy Customer !!

barthchris

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Im doing a necro, sorry! I had the same problem, same TV. Weird fluctuating black stripes that started in the upper left. Sometimes giving it a "technical tap" would fix the issue temporarily. Im pretty good with repairing anything electrical so I took it apart and looked for bad caps or other signs of bad components but everything looked fine. Since "tapping the TV resolved the issue for a while I cleaned and reseated the ribbon cables going to the LCD thinking that would be the cause, but it did nothing. The issues just kept getting worse. One day I smacked it too hard and cracked the display! :ouch:Oh well! It forced me to buy a new TV.

Ended up buying a new 55" Samsung smart TV, what a difference the extra connectivity makes! I love it! Don't know how I went without.