Question Want to make sure I've done PBO2 correctly

DanWarner

Honorable
Nov 26, 2016
Just looking for clarification on PBO2 settings. I have very limited overclocking experience, so this is probably a dumb question. In the attached pictures, you can see that my BIOS has PBO settings in both the motherboard settings tab as well as the OC tab. In the motherboard settings tab, it gives me options to make changes to the PBO2 curve optimizer settings. The OC tab also has PBO settings, but it's just set to enabled and is grayed out. I know different mobos have different BIOS, but is this normal and have I done it correctly? The mobo is a MSI B550 a pro and the CPU is a Ryzen 5800x. Thanks.

View: https://imgur.com/a/GGDbKyY

Just looking for clarification on PBO2 settings. I have very limited overclocking experience, so this is probably a dumb question. In the attached pictures, you can see that my BIOS has PBO settings in both the motherboard settings tab as well as the OC tab. In the motherboard settings tab, it gives me options to make changes to the PBO2 curve optimizer settings. The OC tab also has PBO settings, but it's just set to enabled and is grayed out. I know different mobos have different BIOS, but is this normal and have I done it correctly? The mobo is a MSI B550 a pro and the CPU is a Ryzen 5800x. Thanks.

View: https://imgur.com/a/GGDbKyY
Yours isn't the only board like that, it seems many board BIOS' make it confusing by putting PBO overclocking controls in multiple areas. I find the controls in the AMD Overclocking area work best for my Asus motherboard. Whichever you use just remember to stay consistent and use the settings in one area only to make changes.

DanWarner

Honorable
Nov 26, 2016
Yours isn't the only board like that, it seems many board BIOS' make it confusing by putting PBO overclocking controls in multiple areas. I find the controls in the AMD Overclocking area work best for my Asus motherboard. Whichever you use just remember to stay consistent and use the settings in one area only to make changes.
The XMP tab also has PBO settings. XMP is only for memory though, right?

The XMP tab also has PBO settings. XMP is only for memory though, right?
Not sure what the XMP tab is for if it has PBO settings on it. You could experiment I suppose to see what it's effects are.

When experimenting like that it pays to become familiar with two features: one is the overclocking profiles, where you can save several profiles of all the current settings and then recall them at will. Another is the Load Optimized Defaults, which acts very much like resetting CMOS only easier. The benefits of each should be apparent.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I run 3 profiles in bios. 1st is factory optimized defaults, 2nd is a stable messed with bios, 3rd is one for CTR2. If I want to make any changes, I just load whichever I want to play with as a base, make the changes and see how the pc reacts. All the while having clean, stable presets to fall back on.