Question Wanting an upgrade that's worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
I currently am rocking an i9-9900k 3.60GHz, I have a GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, 16GB of RAM, and for a motherboard I have the MSI Z390 Gaming Plus. I am wanting an upgrade that is worth the money that I would end up spending. I do not have the best rig but I would consider that I have a pretty decent one, I am even debating if I should even upgrade. But I am really wanting to switch to AMD processors and especially upgrade my motherboard significantly. I would also like to upgrade to 34GB of RAM. Does anyone have any recommendations for the components that are the next step up, or what I should really be focusing on for better performance?

Also if anyone wants to take the time I would like to sell the old parts I replace, just not sure what price they would go at, being used and all. Thanks!

AidenLee

Reputable
Nov 18, 2019
Since you haven't told us the what the budget would be, this is incredibly hard to answer.

Right, well right now I am predominantly looking for an upgraded processor and motherboard. I would be willing to spend a good amount on a new AMD processor, something like 5 to 600 maybe? For motherboard I would go around 3 to 375. GPU will come later.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What do you think your system is lacking in? Because cpu is more than capable of driving a faster graphics card which id propose upgrade to first before overhauling as gpu prices are falling.

So you could wait and do gpu first knowing you could always transfer it later. Waiting, your 9900k is good enough to do that, for a good few years, and see what Amd will be offering soon and also Intel when ddr5 become more mainstream and much higher speeds.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What do you mean by that?

Some value upgrade paths, some see as by the time you get there to upgrade, you're in the used market. Depends how late you are in the upgrade path's future. Pretty much everything now is at the end so it really doesn't matter, anything you get, or even holding on to your current system has many years left before it's obvious an overhaul is necessary.

logainofhades

Titan
Seeing as 13th gen Intel will require a different motherboard I don’t see any difference between AMD or Intel on that front.

It will not require a new board. Z690 will support raptor lake.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-may-have-already-revealed-13th-gen-raptor-lake-chipset-specs

Intel confirmed 600 series and 700 series desktop platforms would be cross-compatible. In other words, the LGA1700 motherboard you might already own and use for your Alder Lake CPU should be fully compatible with Raptor Lake chips.

Does the VRM on your current MSI motherboard allow you get to the stock boost speeds of 5.0GHz on a 1-2 cores, 4.8GHz on up to 4 cores, and 4.7GHz on all 8 cores? Is your CPU thermal throttling at all?

IMHO, an i9-9900k, even without an overclock, as long as you don't have any VRM issues or thermal throttling, is still a kick butt processor.

Reactions: KyaraM
Status
Not open for further replies.