[SOLVED] Weird electricity noise coming from PC

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Hi all

I made a pc like 9 months ago. Its working great I have no issues with the performance I am just worried from a electric noise coming out of the PC. I dont know how to discribe it its like listening to a bit of voltage ? Like a bzzz not that loud though. It only appears ( so far at least ) when I have my GPU running at unlimited FPS like 120 + when I limit the fps back to 60 the noise goes away. But I think the sound either comes from the PSU or GPU ( I mostly think its from the GPU ). The watts the GPU takes while this happens is 180W but when I have it on limit 60 its like 60W. But the thing is even when its unlimited FPS 180W ++ I have no issues with games or anything it runs fine. Should I be worried? I dont know how long that's been going on since I wear a headset most of the time , I just happend to notice it today. I have no overclocks on the GPU or any other component.

Ryzen 5 2600
Vega 56 ( I have it at stock I didnt do anything , maybe undervolting will solve it? )
Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W ( I wanted to get a good PSU since I read that vega 56 sucks a lot of power but the dude at the store told me its not needed the card takes MAX 200W which this psu can easily handle)
B450M DS3H rev 1.0

EDIT : I only had 1 issue recently ( 2 weeks ago didnt happen ever since though) - while gaming no signal on screen and had to restart but gpu was taking only 50-70W.

Solution
look for videos of "coil whine" and see if they match the sound you are hearing, a coil will start to audibly whine under certain conditions.

the vega 56 can go to 376W peak consumption and can sustain over 300W when overclocked.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-21.html

the PSU issue is not just about wattage, the smart RGB has 648W available, its of lower quality. the PSU feeds and protects everything connected to it, do not skimp on it.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
look for videos of "coil whine" and see if they match the sound you are hearing, a coil will start to audibly whine under certain conditions.

the vega 56 can go to 376W peak consumption and can sustain over 300W when overclocked.

the PSU issue is not just about wattage, the smart RGB has 648W available, its of lower quality. the PSU feeds and protects everything connected to it, do not skimp on it.

Solution

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018

Yes thats the noise I am hearing , I never overclocked my GPU the max it ever run was 180W ( And that never happens because I always limit to 60fps and its most of the time below that ) I havent increased any power draw and its default max is 180.