[SOLVED] Weird issue with secondary drives (does not happen with boot drive?). Randomly disconnect for about 10 seconds and then show 100% usage.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Hello! So i have a very weird problem. I have a samsung ssd as a boot drive, a WD 4 tb hdd and a 250gb adata ssd. I did a fresh windows 10 reinstall around 2 months ago and installed every update. What happens is that the drives will disappear from task manager and then after 10 or so seconds come back and show 100% usage for those 10 seconds they were not in task manager. My boot drive does not have this problem for some reason. I noticed this when I installed a game to one of the drives and started playing it. The game would randomly freeze for 10 secs and then I checked out task manager and saw this. This does not always happen. It would go for days without problems and then it would occur 5 times in one hour. It's completely random.

Specs:
i5 9400f - 1 year old (running around 60 to 70 degrees under heavy load)
MB: Gigabyte H310M DS2 2.0 - 1 year old
Ram: Kingston 2x16gb 2666mhz ddr4 - 1 year old
GPU: GTX 970 - Almost 7 years old (0 problems except coil whine, i do not experience stutter on my other hard drives)
Drives:Samsung 860 evo 500 gb - 3 years old, boot drive - slot 0 in mb
Western Digital 4 TB hdd - very old and slow, only used for files. - slot 2 in mb
ADATA SU630 240 gb - 1 month old - slot 1 in mb
PSU: Some armaggedon voltron bronze, not sure about the actual brand, it's 750 or 900w, not exactly sure. Also 1 year old. The PSU before it was also an offbrand 600w psu that was way worse than this one. I do not think it is the problem.

All 3 drives use a 6gb/s sata cable.

Thanks!

Solution
your SATA control drivers are definitely needed.
if the latest will not install correctly after a couple tries at re-downloading and installing, see if there is an earlier version available. if not, contact Gigabyte support.

and you should always stick with the latest BIOS.
they are constantly correcting known bugs and improving performance.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
have you reinstalled all motherboard drivers\updates?
have you updated to latest BIOS?

and you never know with a low quality PSU what types of issues can arise. that is why a highly rated trustworthy model is always recommended.

I installed every driver yes. I did read somewhere that the intel SATA/RAID drivers are the ones I need but the one from my MB manufacturer does not want to install. I updated bios about 2 or 3 months ago. Should I do it now? Will definitely go for a modular trustworthy brand next, as this one was huge and the cables were really short. Quite an annoying PSU.

your SATA control drivers are definitely needed.
if the latest will not install correctly after a couple tries at re-downloading and installing, see if there is an earlier version available. if not, contact Gigabyte support.

and you should always stick with the latest BIOS.
they are constantly correcting known bugs and improving performance.

Solution

Newguy69

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
I've been experiencing the same issue with my b550 msi board. I've updated my drivers and bios and i'm still having issues. Is it just a motherboard hardware issue then?