xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Hi!

Recently ive updated my home system with new cpu, motherboard and RAM
Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte x570 gaming X
Crucial ballistix 3200 16gb ddr4 ram

I didnt make a clean windows 10 install because i didnt want to and i thought it will be fine anyways.
Now, im having this weird 100 % disk usage on startup that makes my PC completely useless for 5 -6 minutes.
The weird thing is that is on a secondary drive, a WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD mainly used for backup and stuff, no programs no games , no system files are on it.
My main SSD with the OS installed is a Samsung Evo 500gb and runs fine.

Whats happening?

Ive tried switching SATA cable, port, and the issues is always with the same disk no matter the cable or port . Maybe a clean install of windows will do the trick...dunno

cheers!

EDIT1: Unplugging the SSD makes windows put 100% usage on the EVO instead of the WD, how weird...
EDIT 2: The 100% disk usage goes away about 10 minutes later from any of the drives , and PC becomes more usable...

Last edited:
Solution
It seems that high disk usage was fixed with new windows 10 install. The high CPU frequencies and temps are because windows its updating on the background. My room temperature is about 26-28° right now and CPU reaches 4.54Ghz and 80 ° but wont go beyond that and while being used like at 50% .
I still think temps are off , specially for a 65w TDP CPU and with the Hyper 212 EVO, maybe ive put to much thermal paste... I will test and see.
My CPU idle temps are 40° being 10-15 more than room ambient temp

KURUJEASY

Reputable
Aug 27, 2016
BTW: also on AMD (r5 3600, B550 aorus elite, 32gb g skill 3600c18, Win10 is 2 months old freshly installed)

I'm following this because I have the exact same 2nd 1TB drive, and issue (so 100% disk usage and unusable on non-windows drive).
Unplugging doesn't put any stress on main drive for me(ADATA XPG8200PRO).

--I did some registry fix putting a MSI file value from 1 to 0. On startup I can now open the drive in 'This PC' faster (it ll recognize the used/open space right away - it didnt before). But its still stuck at 100% and unsable for 5-10 minutes.--

Tomorrow I will try another PSU cable for that drive. I ll update on saturady.

Edit and question for OP: On my 2nd disk, 1-2 weeks ago 3 folders got installed which Im unauthorized for to delete: WindowsApps, WpSystem and WUDownload Cache. Only WpSystem has stuff in it (1st folder name: S-1-5-21-14405781-109146455-1396003330-1001). Do you also have these folders?

Question for OP: do you leave your PC on for longer periods of time (days/weeks)? I do, so I never really noticed this issue until I had to restart a few days before.

Last edited:
Are you entirely certain there are no Windows updates being downloaded and/or AV scans being done perhaps contributing to the disk activity? (Does task manager /processes give any clues , beyond merely listing 'system' as to the cause of the activity? When I do a scan, I can see a burst of 100% activity, which is reflected in task mngr/processes with several MB/sec being attributed to 'System' and, Kasperky)

You can also disable the AV to see if any behavior changes, of course...

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
PC build is brand new, I've only tested it for short periods of time. I can confirmed that the high disk usage goes away after some time.. I would say 7-10min. Pc felt sluggish but usable at least chrome and basic windows browsing. The 100% disk was impossible to use when it was the secondary, on the Samsung evo I could access any of the files and global disk usage on task manager won't show 100%. It's the dedicated vertical graphs that shows and the led on the case is stuck at full use.

Now after an BSOD while updating Windows and prompted with a non paged fault area I've decided to reinstall windows fresh on the Evo. So far I haven't got the 100 % disk usage bug on a fresh windows install but also I haven't plugged the secondary SSD to the board.

Now I'm encountering and other issue with the CPU. At around 11% usage the CPU would spike to 4.54ghz and stays there, reaching 80 degrees (was a hot summer day) on a hyper 212 Evo. I haven't touched anything on gigabyte BIOS except for the xmp profile for the 3200 MHz ram. Before windows reinstall it down clocked correctly to 3.7ghz stock and was idling 42°. It's so weird. My BIOS is updated to latest f31 and I've installed both AMD x570 chipset and ryzen master.
I can tell it was hot cause fans where ramping and stalling at full speed.

I will continue to test this weird bugs and report when I plugged the second SSD drive.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Are you entirely certain there are no Windows updates being downloaded and/or AV scans being done perhaps contributing to the disk activity? (Does task manager /processes give any clues , beyond merely listing 'system' as to the cause of the activity? When I do a scan, I can see a burst of 100% activity, which is reflected in task mngr/processes with several MB/sec being attributed to 'System' and, Kasperky)

You can also disable the AV to see if any behavior changes, of course...

I don't any av install and the secondary SSD it's a backup disk
There is no file o exe that windows would use. I suspect a bug or issue with page file as windows became crazy and tried to use it. I'm afraid for that disk health.. it's practically new and i have important data on it. I still don't know if stills there cause windows won't let me browse it on the latest tests.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
BTW: also on AMD (r5 3600, B550 aorus elite, 32gb g skill 3600c18, Win10 is 2 months old freshly installed)

I'm following this because I have the exact same 2nd 1TB drive, and issue (so 100% disk usage and unusable on non-windows drive).
Unplugging doesn't put any stress on main drive for me(ADATA XPG8200PRO).

--I did some registry fix putting a MSI file value from 1 to 0. On startup I can now open the drive in 'This PC' faster (it ll recognize the used/open space right away - it didnt before). But its still stuck at 100% and unsable for 5-10 minutes.--

Tomorrow I will try another PSU cable for that drive. I ll update on saturady.

Edit and question for OP: On my 2nd disk, 1-2 weeks ago 3 folders got installed which Im unauthorized for to delete: WindowsApps, WpSystem and WUDownload Cache. Only WpSystem has stuff in it (1st folder name: S-1-5-21-14405781-109146455-1396003330-1001). Do you also have these folders?

Question for OP: do you leave your PC on for longer periods of time (days/weeks)? I do, so I never really noticed this issue until I had to restart a few days before.

Yes I have encountered an issue while trying to access a file and got permission rejected by that long number name. But Im not sure it was a file on that disk (we blue)

I will test all again as soon as I'm done updating Windows if the CPU temps let me.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
It seems that high disk usage was fixed with new windows 10 install. The high CPU frequencies and temps are because windows its updating on the background. My room temperature is about 26-28° right now and CPU reaches 4.54Ghz and 80 ° but wont go beyond that and while being used like at 50% .
I still think temps are off , specially for a 65w TDP CPU and with the Hyper 212 EVO, maybe ive put to much thermal paste... I will test and see.
My CPU idle temps are 40° being 10-15 more than room ambient temp

Solution

KURUJEASY

Reputable
Aug 27, 2016
50% is all cores used in your case (just no hyperthreading). 80c is alright, but thats with a bigger load than just updating. Most likely not too much thermal paste but moubting pressure is off.
Wasnt able (edit: YET) to test another power cable to the 1tb ssd.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
50% is all cores used in your case (just no hyperthreading). 80c is alright, but thats with a bigger load than just updating. Most likely not too much thermal paste but moubting pressure is off.
Wasnt able (edit: YET) to test another power cable to the 1tb ssd.

I think it was because yesterday was a really really hot day. Today im idling 40 °C and 60 at the same load i was testing yesterday (windows update service). Pressure on heatsink is ok, could be better? Definitely, but as i dont see any rare spike on temps , i wont touch it...