Terpinator

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am looking for information on what AV software everyone is using and how they like it. I am in the market for AV software and am willing to pay for it. I have looked around and it seems like a lot are going either Kaspersky, BitDefender, or Norton for paid AV.

Just curious as to what people are currently using and how they like it.

Thanks!

4745454b

Titan
I personally feel it's more important to have a script blocker than a paid AV. These days I won't go to unknown sites without a script blocker. I was browser a sketchy site a few years back and after being on it for maybe a min I had a pop up come up saying I was now infected with Ransomware and I needed to send blah blah blah to get the unlock code. At first I freaked out and backed out, but because my windows was up to date and I never ran any scripts on that page, my AV never even went off. I personally still use AVG, I think mostly because it's tied to my home PC and my personal phone. (I believe it's supposed to help my find my phone if I need to.) But I would think any of them should work about the same. Whichever GUI you prefer.

Mar 9, 2020
I personally feel it's more important to have a script blocker than a paid AV. These days I won't go to unknown sites without a script blocker. I was browser a sketchy site a few years back and after being on it for maybe a min I had a pop up come up saying I was now infected with Ransomware and I needed to send blah blah blah to get the unlock code. At first I freaked out and backed out, but because my windows was up to date and I never ran any scripts on that page, my AV never even went off. I personally still use AVG, I think mostly because it's tied to my home PC and my personal phone. (I believe it's supposed to help my find my phone if I need to.) But I would think any of them should work about the same. Whichever GUI you prefer.
I have never heard of a script blocker before. Can you explain a little on what it is and what it does? I would gladly appreciate it if you recommend one that you use.

Mar 9, 2020
I personally use Bitdefender total security 2020 and Malwarebytes, however, before this I used only Avast and that one wasn't that bad but, Bitdefender is better in my opinion. If I am in a bad situation where Bitdefender and Malwarebytes both don't catch a problem and I see there is something wrong which it so far hasn't happened to me I would use something else such as HitmanPro.

4745454b

Titan
Noscript is the one I use. What it does is prevents any javascript code from running. This prevents any drive by loads from happening. You will have to manually allow scripts to run, and you'll want to as sites are basically broken if you don't. With all the javascript on sites these days I consider it a part of security.

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I used both Malware Bytes Free and Bitdefender Free. Both did the job nicely, without eating ressources too much. Plus, I believe they are alright on the privacy question, too.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Windows Defender, combined with Malwarebytes Free for ocassional scans and uBlock Origin as browser extension, with Firefox's tracking protection set on "Strict". And the most important thing, common sense.

I consider all third-party AVs a scam, and I am never going to bother with them. Never had a problem with my current setup.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I am using ESET NOD32 for years now and it didn't stop the "Windows Activation" scam from locking up my computer. I don't know how I figured my way out of that one. It's happened several times in the last week. or so. I'm thinking of changing to Malwarebytes either free or paid. Any or much difference between free or paid? Paid worth it? Opinions please.