thegreatcheez

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Hello,
when im playing any games at all on my laptop regardless of what game it is or whats running during the middle of my play time it will randomly drop from 50 fps to 20 or sometime 9 fps i have no idea what is causing this to happen. i have cleared my registry, defragged my hard drive, and also ran a full system restore, and the problem still persists if you can help me that would be awesome thx

thegreatcheez

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
lol i have all better than recommended specs for both games i currently play and it still does it i think its a driver update issue and defragmentation issue im defragging again and updating my graphics card

What are the games you are playing ? What is your PC specs ? And what settings and resolution ?

It can sometimes depend upon the driver of your GPU or how poorly a game is optimized, or how much the game maybe graphically intensive in some areas.

thegreatcheez

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
i play on an asus notebook G60Vx series
5.7 windows experience index rating
Intel core 2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz on both CPUs
4.00 GB of RAM
64 bit Windows 7
Nvidia Geforce GTX 260M 1GB video card
300GB harddrive

sscool

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I think it could be dust problem open your laptop and clean your fans on GFX and CPU..hope it will help i had same problem and it did trick for me :) :) you can check your temp. first to be sure there is a lot of prog. out there you can downloaded it ...

thegreatcheez

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
just tried to clean it i cleared some dust off of the top but am not able to clean the GFX with a lack of a can of air so will have to wait but i think thats a good suggestion seeing as how often my computer runs hot

I just want to point out that mobile video cards are not as powerful as their desktop counterparts. For example, the Radeon Mobility HD 5850 is approximately the equivalent to the desktop Radeon HD 5770.

Anywaste... possible causes of drops in frame rates could be:
1. Lots of textures being loaded.
2. Check your power settings; make sure the laptop power state is set to ALWAYS ON.
3. Could be various system processes working in the background like anti virus.

Even desktop PCs are subject to sudden dips as well.