Dec 15, 2019
I have a gtx 950 2gb right now and I want to upgrade. Can i use rx 480 or if not please tell me a good graphics card that I can use.

PC specs:

Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 ghz
8gb DDR3 ram
nvidia gtx 950 2gb
gigabyte ssd 120 gb
WD hdd 500 gb
Thermaltake Litepower 450w psu

Solution
You can use the GPU with that motherboard, but there's not a chance in a billion I'd want to use that PSU with that GPU. If you want your components to have a long, healthy life, I would not install that GPU without upgrading to a PSU of at least minimum quality (Corsair CX 550 or better, no Corsair CXs with green letters).

DSzymborski

Titan
You can use the GPU with that motherboard, but there's not a chance in a billion I'd want to use that PSU with that GPU. If you want your components to have a long, healthy life, I would not install that GPU without upgrading to a PSU of at least minimum quality (Corsair CX 550 or better, no Corsair CXs with green letters).

Reactions: qwertyuiopasdfghjkl
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
what will happen if I use that graphics card?

Best case scenario, the PSU successfully runs the card initially, but is always at risk for complete failure for as long as you run the GPU on it, placing additional stress on your components from the voltage regulation/electronic ripple by a lousy PSU being pushed to the limit.

In a less fortunate scenario -- though one could argue it's probably better than the first one -- the PC simply refuses to start with the GPU attached.

The worst case scenario -- a very possible one -- is that it starts and when your GPU gets to or near to load, the PSU dies a horrible death, taking your new GPU and/or some combination of your CPU/motherboard/anything that's attached.

Some of the old Lightpower 450s (there are multiple versions) have as little as 300W on the +12V rail.

Dec 15, 2019
Best case scenario, the PSU successfully runs the card initially, but is always at risk for complete failure for as long as you run the GPU on it, placing additional stress on your components from the voltage regulation/electronic ripple by a lousy PSU being pushed to the limit.

In a less fortunate scenario -- though one could argue it's probably better than the first one -- the PC simply refuses to start with the GPU attached.

The worst case scenario -- a very possible one -- is that it starts and when your GPU gets to or near to load, the PSU dies a horrible death, taking your new GPU and/or some combination of your CPU/motherboard/anything that's attached.

Some of the old Lightpower 450s (there are multiple versions) have as little as 300W on the +12V rail.

ok