[SOLVED] What happens if I update the BIOS with TPM enabled?

Endre

Reputable
Hello!

Windows 11 requires secure boot and TPM 2.0 being enabled.
Generally, before updating the BIOS, I load the default settings of the motherboard.

Question:
What happens if I update the BIOS while the secure boot and TPM 2.0 are enabled?
Will that lead to errors?

Solution
I had a weird thing happening after installing Win11 build 22000.51 (which I downloaded as an ISO from UUP DUMP). All of my partitions turned to RAW (4 partitions on 4 different drives).
I could no longer access them, they asked to be formated.

I was talking about things like that when I asked about errors.

Sorry to hear about your partition problems but they sound more like a problem with your ISO rather than your hardware. Generally any time I want to check partitions or disk problems I boot up Linux Mint from a USB, run Gparted and examine/change the partitions using that.

Also, its never a good idea to have more than 1 disk connected anytime you're installing any version of Windows from an ISO. Windows just doesn't like...
I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if that would lead to "errors". What kind of errors?

All I can say is last week I updated the bios on my ASUS Strix Z590-e and everything in W11 still works the same as it did before. I don't have any keys stored in the TPM section or third party security software so you would have to find someone who uses that option to verify what happens to keys. Worse case scenario you would have to manually re-enter the keys, the same as resetting all the other bios options.

Endre

Reputable
I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if that would lead to "errors". What kind of errors?

All I can say is last week I updated the bios on my ASUS Strix Z590-e and everything in W11 still works the same as it did before. I don't have any keys stored in the TPM section or third party security software so you would have to find someone who uses that option to verify what happens to keys. Worse case scenario you would have to manually re-enter the keys, the same as resetting all the other bios options.

I had a weird thing happening after installing Win11 build 22000.51 (which I downloaded as an ISO from UUP DUMP). All of my partitions turned to RAW (4 partitions on 4 different drives).

Sorry to hear about your partition problems but they sound more like a problem with your ISO rather than your hardware. Generally any time I want to check partitions or disk problems I boot up Linux Mint from a USB, run Gparted and examine/change the partitions using that.

Also, its never a good idea to have more than 1 disk connected anytime you're installing any version of Windows from an ISO. Windows just doesn't like dealing with more than 1 disk until after installation is complete.

And depending on how much stuff you have on your boot drive, its always a good idea to image the drive to external or alternate drive storage before messing with buggy beta software like W11. I've been using Acronis on a regular basis to image my drives since this whole W11 thing started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Endre
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
He had backups so didn't lose anything. I think the loss of file system happened after installation, not during. From memory he discovered files were missing after he already had 11 installed

Win 10 likes to share so that is main reason I wouldn't have more than 1 drive attached during install. If given chance it will put other partitions on any free space it finds.

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
He had backups so didn't lose anything. I think the loss of file system happened after installation, not during. From memory he discovered files were missing after he already had 11 installed

Win 10 likes to share so that is main reason I wouldn't have more than 1 drive attached during install. If given chance it will put other partitions on any free space it finds.

Yeah.
Practically the files were probably still there, but I just could no longer access the partition because it turned to RAW.

TRENDING THREADS