What HP Needs for Slate to Take on iPad, and Win

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Dkz[/nom]I don't get why someone would voluntary throw away that much cash on one of those big iphones, I'm talking about HP's as well.[/citation]

The iPad is a big iPod touch, HP's is a 'real' computer, not a fisher price toy for the stupidly deranged fools who buy products because they have formed a sick dependence on a company and think it will somehow make them appear cool.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I am not going to take the review of a single unaccountable person, who's entire review of his claimed usage of the Slate as "It is shit".
How about less opinion and more facts.
Until this device is actually released none of you knows what the hell you are talking about in terms of how the device works.

Until then the arguement about which platform has more compatability, software and access to films, music or ebooks is not an arguement. Windows has more. Full stop. No discussion. Period. No amount of Steve "PT Barnum" Jobs screaming at me until he is blue in the face will convince me or any else that there is more content for Apple exclusive than for a Windows product.

cobra_comm@nder

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
The iPad is a big iPod touch

You're absolutely right. However, the fact that it's bigger makes many of the things the Touch can do way more usable.

HP's is a 'real' computer, not a fisher price toy for the stupidly deranged fools who buy products because they have formed a sick dependence on a company and think it will somehow make them appear cool.

Did you even read the article or did you just jump directly into Apple Flame Mode? It is a very cool product. If it's not for you and your "IT a-hole" mentality then don't buy it. It's not aimed at you anyway. Why are you so angry?

I am not going to take the review of a single unaccountable person, who's entire review of his claimed usage of the Slate as "It is shit".

No one did that. I gave my opinion of HP's TouchSmart computer in response to the comments mentioning Win7 was built for touch. It may have touch capabilities built in but trying to use an OS built for mouse and keyboard is not fun nor easy. Also, you don't have to actually touch the screen...it would begin to "sense" your fingers at about 1/4 inch away which led to many unintended movements. I hope they can do better with the Slate.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
The issue with The Slate is that HP while trying to cut costs to compete with the iPad, all they did is create a touch-screen netbook with atom CPU and no Keyboard. Nothing innovative here... plus if you note that battery life is only 5 hours, it doesn't make it that impressive.

Also checkout the boot time of the Slate...you probably waste 10% battery life just waiting for the tablet to boot.... I think they'll have the same destiny as the previous tablet PCs, and they'll never go as mainstream as iPad has gone...

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
 First of all, let me say that I read this article at wok, but was unable to comment because I was on my iPhone, please add commenting ability to the iPhone app!!
 Secondly, I'm a little flabbergasted that the so called "intelligent" readers of Tom's fail to see that the masses aren't "intelligent" when it comes to computers. If they have to look outside a central "app store" for software or functionality, they simply will go without, they will just assume that the device lacks the function that they are looking for. A central hub for apps and programs is a must for a mobile device, anything lacking this will fail, as has been proven in the past. HP needs to work with devs to recreate the software that was designed for windows, to run on a touch centric device, ie: Slate. Everything from Office to messenger services to email to Twitter will have to be redesigned for the tablet in order for this device to flourish in an iPad dominant market. 
 I honestly think that a hub to purchase "apps" or software would be a fantastic idea, not just for tablets but for Windows desktops and notebooks as well. Linux has already done this, and it allows their userbase access to so much more software than would have been otherwise available. The masses do not know where to look for the bundles of software, free or otherwise, that exist for Windows. An app store for Windows would drive software sales immensely. 
 In summary, great article Tuan, you nailed what needs to he done square on the head. A partnership with Amazon Kindle would be a necessary start for HP, a partnership with Zunepass being the next logical step, and the creation of a Windows tablet/touch app store would the the final piece of the puzzle. Go HP.     

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Unfortunately, slap an "Apple" label on anything and regardless of how much better yours is, they will sell one million more without even a review of the thing. People clamored for the Ipad like tablets haven't existed at all in the past decade...sheep.

ruffhouseutah

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
When it comes to consumers, it's all about the interface and user experience. That's why there's MP3 players, and then there's the iPod in a class by itself. And it's not just the click-wheel, it's the whole iTunes integration and experience.

Just providing Windows in a tablet form will do nothing to compete with the iPad, regardless of how many apps Win7 can access. The author of this article is dead-on correct. Until HP can figure out how to deliver and run thousands of different apps as easily and intuitively as the iPad can, the buyers will always prefer the iPad.

It's not about power under the hood, boys, it's about simpleton consumers and their ease of use and the sociality of the whole experience for them. Apple understands this, and until HP or other competitors do, the iPod, iPad, iTouch, iPhone will always dominate.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
HP doesn't need to do anything to compete with the iPad because they are targeting completely different segments of the market.

For folk who want a truly multi-functional, ultra-portable computing device that is full featured and can easily interface with their home/work network of desktops and laptops (printers, cameras, whatever), the choice becomes very clear.

And for the folk that like expensive, slick-looking toys, the choice is also pretty clear.

The two will rarely overlap. I wish tech sites would stop trying to compare Apple products to real computer technology. They are meant to be an easy to use appliance for the average joe/jane with more money then they know what to do with. Computers are that, serious machines that do serious work. The two will never reconcile and neither side will ever accept the others POV. Might as well try to reconcile the differences between pro-lifers and pro-choice crowd. Will never happen. So why bother?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
HP doesn't need to do anything to compete with the iPad because they are targeting completely different segments of the market.

For folk who want a truly multi-functional, ultra-portable computing device that is full featured and can easily interface with their home/work network of desktops and laptops (printers, cameras, whatever), the choice becomes very clear.

And for the folk that like expensive, slick-looking toys, the choice is also pretty clear.

The two will rarely overlap. I wish tech sites would stop trying to compare Apple products to real computer technology. They are meant to be an easy to use appliance for the average joe/jane with more money then they know what to do with. Computers are that, serious machines that do serious work. The two will never reconcile and neither side will ever accept the others POV. Might as well try to reconcile the differences between pro-lifers and pro-choice crowd. Will never happen. So why bother?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Until HP can figure out how to deliver and run thousands of different apps as easily and intuitively as the iPad can, the buyers will always prefer the iPad.

Of course. Why would anyone prefer flexibility and speed when they can do it the mediocre way. Why would anyone want to listen to music, write a document and surf the web with multiple tabs open at the same time? Yes I can totally see it. It totally makes sense.

So I agree, iPad has no competition. It's in a class of its own.

pfroo40

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I think that most people posting in response to this article that don't seem to "get" it are having difficulty because they are failing to grasp the underlying reason these devices exist. People are throwing around the idea that these devices need to be easy to use specifically for the "masses" that are computer illiterate, and that is simply not the case. As others have mentioned, tablet and portable touchscreen devices have been around for years, but have never caught on. Why? Because regardless of the fact that they are full fledged PC's with the ability to use a huge library of PC software (iTunes, Amazon, whatever), the user experience is so terrible that it makes all but the few diehards turn back to devices with conventional input methods (k/m). The "masses" is obviously not the only demographic that is turned off by this method of user interface.

The author of this article is trying to articulate the possible solutions to this problem, which all revolve around refining the touch based user interface every step of the way, including the end user software that would be used on it. I know that I have absolutely no interest in something with a custom UI that just loads standard windows applications. Sure it might be easier navigating to the program, but the application itself would still be clunky, awkward and inefficient. Touchscreen devices themselves, even the better designed of them like Android and iPhone OS, are still often cumbersome, so the fewest steps to achieve the goal the better whether it be downloading a song, a book, loading an app or playing a game.

Personally, the techie in me yearns for a tablet based on a modern OS with the option of full control and accessibility for media including the ability to install any software I want, connect any external third party device I want, access any media format I want, but with a user experience that is truly different from anything else I currently have access to. And right now that device doesn't exist and ultimately, for me, for this class of device, the user experience is what it is all about. I can do anything I want on my huge, fast, crossfire, overclocked desktop PC or my ultraportable, HD video playing laptop, and have my iPhone for pocket sized mobile computing. If I'm going to drop my $$ on another device category it has to do something different, to make something I already do more enjoyable. As it now the iPad comes closest to doing this, but HP has an opportunity to take all those things I want as a techie and combine it with the user experience I want.

G

Lame.This iPUD is simply a ca$h-generating machine for pouring your money into the iTunes store. The last hope of Big Media to keep you paying for their over-rated content. Steverino should just hand them out, like candy, only free. How much user-generated content, IF ANY, is this iPUD capable of? Check out an Archos 9.

Feld.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
HP should NOT be trying at all. They will kill the PC tablet platform before it gets off the ground to fight Apple. Apple again will be known as the benchmark just like with their iPhone in the smartphone world.

Outside of the Server/Workstation world, HP has a very poor reputation. HP has terribly buggy print software, drivers and services. I'm most most consumer market techs (and end users) have experienced this for years.

HP consumer laptops have some of the WORST fit and finish are the biggest consumer bloatware company in history. Setting up a brand new consumer HP machine is the worst possible user experience and this has been the case for many years. All they seem to worry about is making sure buggy adware and trials permeate their products so you buy their cartridges and they can sell PCs cheaper.

To really fight Apple Microsoft NEEDS to have had their XBOX team come up with a tablet design and have ASUS build it. Then have the Xbox team design the OS/GUI and Live marketplace. We NEED an "XSlate". Sell it below cost and make the money back on apps just like gaming consoles.

Then keep HP, Dell, Acer and Lenovo out of it completely and let Sony and Nintendo create competitors and goodbye Apple.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
HP's slate is a superior device to the iPad on every count, and so are many devices already in production or already out. No I dont want HP to provide for me stuff I can get much better through other providers. iTune is an example of inferior software intended for the technologically challenged, or for those too dumb to want more control what they purchase; sadly, the iPad a very good example of mediocre hardware, along with much that Apples produces. The masses may very well opt to choose the iPad over the Slate, as what seems to matter is not what is produced, but rather how it is marketed to the masses. Of course, no one should under estimate the US media friendliness towards anything that Apple dishes out.

One good thing about the iPad is that it will cause even more superior devices to be released in short order.

jmchien

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]HP's slate is a superior device to the iPad on every count, and so are many devices already in production or already out. No I dont want HP to provide for me stuff I can get much better through other providers. iTune is an example of inferior software intended for the technologically challenged, or for those too dumb to want more control what they purchase; sadly, the iPad a very good example of mediocre hardware, along with much that Apples produces. The masses may very well opt to choose the iPad over the Slate, as what seems to matter is not what is produced, but rather how it is marketed to the masses. Of course, no one should under estimate the US media friendliness towards anything that Apple dishes out. One good thing about the iPad is that it will cause even more superior devices to be released in short order.[/citation]
If iTunes is an example of an inferior software, give us an example of what is not (just wondering).

jmchien

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Are you serious?[/citation]

It wasn't a rhetorical question... I used to use Napster a lot back in the day and haven't kept up with music service software since.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]HP's slate is a superior device to the iPad on every count, and so are many devices already in production or already out. No I dont want HP to provide for me stuff I can get much better through other providers. iTune is an example of inferior software intended for the technologically challenged, or for those too dumb to want more control what they purchase; sadly, the iPad a very good example of mediocre hardware, along with much that Apples produces. The masses may very well opt to choose the iPad over the Slate, as what seems to matter is not what is produced, but rather how it is marketed to the masses. Of course, no one should under estimate the US media friendliness towards anything that Apple dishes out. One good thing about the iPad is that it will cause even more superior devices to be released in short order.[/citation]

In what way is iTune dumb downed? Or Mac OSX for that matter? The reason I ask is because, am I to assume you are willing to spend $500 dollars because the device it is difficult to use? Do you run windows via DOS prompt exclusively? My guess is that your just spouting some talking points that you have heard. Simply put, You are no more tech savvy than the average Mac or windows user. All this posturing about your implied Tech skills compared to Mac users is simple and and unsubstantiated.
Also , by what standard are you basing Mac supposed inferior hardware? The main complaint on Toms is that Apple uses the same hardware as PC's. Are you saying that your highly sophisticated PC is built using inferior hardware?
You see this what happens when you shoot from the hip....No cogent thought or argument. Only baseless conjecture!

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
HP does not have a well built, well populated and well integrated applications repository and store.
HP does not have a multi-studio backed music and movies store.
HP does not have a widely populated books and magazines store.

I stopped here because that's the biggest load of BS I have ever read on Tom's. The Slate has THE SAME iTUNES installer EVERY PC has. Which means ALL of those things listed are supported. It also has support for BILLIONS of apps because it's not some proprietary locked down OS making EVERY store that sells or releases Windows PC applications.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]The iPad is a big iPod touch, HP's is a 'real' computer, not a fisher price toy for the stupidly deranged fools who buy products because they have formed a sick dependence on a company and think it will somehow make them appear cool.[/citation]

Define real computer please. And I voted you down for generalizing that anyone who buys an iPad is a stupidly deranged fool.

jmchien

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]I stopped here because that's the biggest load of BS I have ever read on Tom's. The Slate has THE SAME iTUNES installer EVERY PC has. Which means ALL of those things listed are supported. It also has support for BILLIONS of apps because it's not some proprietary locked down OS making EVERY store that sells or releases Windows PC applications.[/citation]
I think the point was more that apple still wins with iTunes, for example, if the iPad fails, apple will still makes money on iTunes...however, if the Slate fails HP loses money

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Why does Tuan Nguyen WANT the HP slate to win? HP offers specifications, but that's about it. HP's ventures into the consumer world (cameras, digital entertainment centers, TVs, etc) have all been pitifully poor. I suppose if you want someone in India... or Africa... or wherever the supportcenterofthemonth is located... to tell you "NO, HP will not fix the manufacturer's defect that you have discovered in your product", go for it. Or when HP orphans your product and say, "No, we will not release source code so that your device will continue to have some useful life after we cut you off next week", then go for it.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
the only reason the ipad is cheaper, is because the memory is only 16 gb's.
if you take the 32 gig ipad, the price is higher than the slate, so I'm not sure if that should be in the list....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS