Question What is causing this "flickering" on my ROG Scar II laptop?

vinchinator

Honorable
Feb 20, 2014
I recently purchased an ROG Scar II laptop with a GTX 2070 (not max-q version) and am having issues with an intermittent flicker that appears every once in a while for 1 single frame. The flicker isn't just a black screen, it looks like a thick gray bar going across the middle of the screen. I noticed that it only happens when I am gaming on the built-in laptop screen. When I connect to an external monitor the flash does not appear. This in my mind rules out an issue with the 2070 since connecting with HDMI to a TV is a direct connection to the 2070, whereas using the built-in screen passes through the integrated GPU. Could it be an issue with the iGPU bypass using the Optimus power-saving feature?

When I first used the monitor the flash appeared frequently, multiple times a minute. After updating drivers and updating windows the flicker seems to have decreased to once every 3 minutes or so.

Here is a video showing what the flicker looks like:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpslR1UfldQ

It only seems to occur when playing games now. I have tried testing if moving the monitor / moving the laptop triggers the flicker and it does not.

Any ideas what this is? Should I RMA this device?

Thank you in advance!