Jun 21, 2019
My desktop PC has no wifi card but I can't connect an ethernet cable directly from its LAN port to the router as it is too far away. So I bought a wifi extender and my ethernet cable is plugged into that. The router is only in the room directly underneath my bedroom so its not like the router is far away at all, I only have the extender so that I'm able to have a wired connection due to my lack of wifi card.
I use my PC for online gaming, mostly Overwatch.
Is it generally faster to have a wired connection into a wifi extender, or to just have a wifi card in my PC?
Is the wired connection even worth it?

Jun 21, 2019
A direct wired connection will always be a better option than a wireless extender. Be very careful where to place the extender, it requires a decent signal strength to start with.
Thanks for the response :)
A direct wired connection isn't possible for me since the router is too far away so would you recommend me just buying a wifi card and skipping the cable/extender setup altogether?

If you plan to put the "extender" in your room then there really is not a lot of difference. Using a extender like that is more or less the same as having a wifi nic card you use a ethernet cable rather than say a USB cable to connect to. It will likely work more or less the same as actual nic card. Gets too complex to say for sure since internal nic cards have antenna neat the case unless you get the expensive ones that have the antenna extension cable to allow you place the antenna on top of the case.

You may want to consider powelrine networks. Get ones based on AV2 technology. Avoid the older av200 and av500.

These in general work better for games because the avoid the wifi interference issues. They maybe slightly slower the wifi but this is extremely hard to predict since it depends on how much wifi signal you get compared to how good your electrical wires are.