[SOLVED] What is GPU Temp and Power target, could keeping it low damage the GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2020
Hello guys, I'm currently using ROG RTX 2060 GPU. And I am using GPU TWEAK II for ROG GPU's. I've seen that there was an setting of GPU Temp target and Power Target which are synchronized (you could unsync ofc). So here's the question, I wanna keep my GPU temprature as low as possible because my case doesn't have that great cooling system. So when I set the Temp Target to the lowest point (which sets the power target to the lowest, too) my GPU is around 50 Celsius which is really great. But it also keeps the power target at the lowest which is -44%. Is it bad for your GPU? What -44% Power Target Exactly mean? Could it cause damage to my GPU or shorten its lifespan?

Solution
Hello guys, I'm currently using ROG RTX 2060 GPU. And I am using GPU TWEAK II for ROG GPU's. I've seen that there was an setting of GPU Temp target and Power Target which are synchronized (you could unsync ofc). So here's the question, I wanna keep my GPU temprature as low as possible because my case doesn't have that great cooling system. So when I set the Temp Target to the lowest point (which sets the power target to the lowest, too) my GPU is around 50 Celsius which is really great. But it also keeps the power target at the lowest which is -44%. Is it bad for your GPU? What -44% Power Target Exactly mean? Could it cause damage to my GPU or shorten its lifespan?...
Hello guys, I'm currently using ROG RTX 2060 GPU. And I am using GPU TWEAK II for ROG GPU's. I've seen that there was an setting of GPU Temp target and Power Target which are synchronized (you could unsync ofc). So here's the question, I wanna keep my GPU temprature as low as possible because my case doesn't have that great cooling system. So when I set the Temp Target to the lowest point (which sets the power target to the lowest, too) my GPU is around 50 Celsius which is really great. But it also keeps the power target at the lowest which is -44%. Is it bad for your GPU? What -44% Power Target Exactly mean? Could it cause damage to my GPU or shorten its lifespan?

Hi,

reducing the power target won't damage the gpu - what this is doing is reducing the amount of power the gpu is permitted to use. This (along with the lower temp target) will result in the gpu running at lower clock speed to hit the targets so performance will be a bit less than maximum, however it will run cooler as a result. This if anything should increase life span.

The main disadvantage to doing this (other than reduced performance) is if the power target is too low, the card may not have enough power to maintain run stable and could crash during games. If that happens just increase the power target a little and that should fix the issue.

Reactions: Equale24
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.