Question What is this program running while my computer idles?

addixkmac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
I’m having trouble identifying this app that keeps running when my screen sleeps. I thought it might have something to do with halo infinity since I seem to notice if after installing halo and icon looks like a spartan helmet with a key.
When I wake up my screen, it is running for half a second, then disappears. I just re-imaged my pc with a fresh copy of windows just in case it was some type of idle miner but when I got everything back up and running, I re-installed Halo, and I noticed it again.
Here’s what the icon looks like, it’s hard to get a photo of it before it closes.

Is there a way to find programs/processes that were running recently so I can figure out what it was?

GqcOPwEh.jpg

I’m having trouble identifying this app that keeps running when my screen sleeps. I thought it might have something to do with halo infinity since I seem to notice if after installing halo and icon looks like a spartan helmet with a key.
When I wake up my screen, it is running for half a second, then disappears. I just re-imaged my pc with a fresh copy of windows just in case it was some type of idle miner but when I got everything back up and running, I re-installed Halo, and I noticed it again.
Here’s what the icon looks like, it’s hard to get a photo of it before it closes.

Is there a way to find programs/processes that were running recently so I can figure out what it was?

GqcOPwEh.jpg

Task Manager will show processes.

Ralston18

Titan
You can also use:

Resource Monitor

Process Explorer (Microsoft - free).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Two other places to look:

Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some related error code, warning, or simply just some relevant informational event,

Start with Reliability History - much more user friendly and the timeline format may help you discover some link to or correspondence with Halo.

addixkmac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
You can also use:

Resource Monitor

Process Explorer (Microsoft - free).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Two other places to look:

Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some related error code, warning, or simply just some relevant informational event,

Start with Reliability History - much more user friendly and the timeline format may help you discover some link to or correspondence with Halo.
thanks, I was able to locate a high res image of what the icon looks like but on the form I found it, they were not 100% sure what it was.

Its the icon with the spartan helmet with C++ in it

Source: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/what-is-this-icon/70380

View: https://imgur.com/a/tGih9gj

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

What does installing a fresh copy of windows actually mean? Did you format the OS drive and install it clean

If it keeps coming back look in start up menu to see what gets launched at boot up.
If you think it is something to do with the halo game go to add/remove and on the sort tab choose date and then look for other things that might have got installed on the same day you got halo.

addixkmac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
If it keeps coming back look in start up menu to see what gets launched at boot up.
If you think it is something to do with the halo game go to add/remove and on the sort tab choose date and then look for other things that might have got installed on the same day you got halo.
There is nothing in startup menu that points to what the program is. It does not show-up at startup. I see it when waking up my screen after 30 mins or more. I checked in task scheduler as well but don't see anything that points to what the program might be.

D

Deleted member 14196

do you have any C++ development software installed? the guys on that forum said they verified it as Delphi Codegear C++, or maybe something built using that. are you running phone apps?

where did you source your windows installer from?

use the windows media creation tool to make a fresh usb on a CLEAN computer first, then format and install a new win10 if you want to eliminate the chance of windows installer malware infection.

addixkmac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
do you have any C++ development software installed? the guys on that forum said they verified it as Delphi Codegear C++, or maybe something built using that. are you running phone apps?

where did you source your windows installer from?

use the windows media creation tool to make a fresh usb on a CLEAN computer first, then format and install a new win10 if you want to eliminate the chance of windows installer malware infection.

I am not running any phone apps, the two programs I am thinking that has something to do with it is Halo or private internet access VPN.

I did create the windows 10 media from the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.