What PSU to buy?

bewmz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Hi I recently bought a new Nvidia 9600 GT PCX graphics card for my current system:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Procesor 3800+ 2.4GHz
Nvidia Geforce 6100 nForce 405
2814 MB Ram

however I need a new power supply to run it as I only have a crappy 250w and it requires a minimum of 450w

Can anyone recommend a good but not too expensive power supply for me that i can get within the UK?

Also are there any compatibility issues with psu's or can you buy any psu and plug it in to any rig?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Corsair CMPSU-400cxuk
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/400W-Corsair-Power-Series-PSU-ATX-PS-2-UK-Version-3-year-warranty
As long as you are NOT quoting specs from a Dell system, then any ATX power supply should be compatible. This psu has a 6 pin PCI-E connector for your video card in case you have the higher power version of the 9600 GT. The psu also should have enough other cables for your system as well. It has plenty of power to run what you have at a pretty good price.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Yeah, it will really work fine, and for years.
Remember, there are cheapo psu boxes out there that say 600 watts.
Look at the amps on the 12v rail. Your system will not use anywhere near that much power. If you had a different motherboard (that supported SLI), you could use a molex --> PCI-E 6 pin adapter for a second videocard and it would still have enough power. For what you have this is a high quality psu that meets you needs at a good price. If you want to spend more money, go to jonnyguru.com and look at better boxes. Brand for power supplies turns out to be an important factor.

Corsair CMPSU-400cx has 30 amps on the 12 volt rail. That will be plenty. But if you really want to spend more money, get a 450VX. Of course, it has only 3 amps more on the 12 volt rail, but it is a 450 watt PSU.

bewmz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I just wanted to be sure :D nothing worse then buying something install it to find it doesn't work but you can no longer return it