[SOLVED] What should I upgrade first?

TheCPH

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Howdy,

I looked around for a bit and couldn't find a thread quite like this one, so I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere.

My current setup is an AMD FX-8350 (120mm cooler) with a GTX 970 Windforce, and admittedly I haven't kept up with components over the last couple of years. My question is, at this point, what would likely be bottlenecking me more? I'm a college student and could only afford to upgrade one or the other at this time, considering a new CPU means having to pick up a new motherboard and upgrading to DDR4 ram. I play games like the new Modern Warfare, Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord, and everything in between, and if I had to guess, the single core performance of the FX-8350 isn't doing me any real favors (especially with Mount and Blade, castle sieges of 500 troops are insufferable). At the same time, I think the 970 struggles pretty badly with particles, as whenever a throwable is tossed my way in Modern Warfare, it gets a bit chunky for a couple of seconds until it settles is. Loading chunks regardless of game gives me so obvious clunks too, which is pretty annoying when it occurs during a shootout in Warzone and costs me valuable hitmarkers. I'm far from max settings and performance still suffers.

All answers are appreciated, and better still if you have specific suggestions on what a "worthy" upgrade would be for either component. I'm looking to spend between $300 and $400 dollars with either route. :) Thanks!

Solution
A better card won't help you because it's being held back by the the old FX processor. My suggestion would be to upgrade to a Ryzen 3600, Msi Tomahawk Max motherboard, and 16 gigs of memory, and then reuse the card until you can afford something like a 1660 GTX Ti.

kwikgta

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
A better card won't help you because it's being held back by the the old FX processor. My suggestion would be to upgrade to a Ryzen 3600, Msi Tomahawk Max motherboard, and 16 gigs of memory, and then reuse the card until you can afford something like a 1660 GTX Ti.

Solution
Here

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yJ4v8Y

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.15 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $366.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-22 16:13 EDT-0400

If you are more on a budget or want to look at upgrading your GPU as well even this would be a better upgrade

CPU (not on pcpartspicker for some reason) $85: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07XTQZJ28

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KJkZzY

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $207.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-22 16:15 EDT-0400

TheCPH

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Alrighty, the order is placed. Much appreciation to all of you, and I'm looking forward to delivery day! I went with kwikgta's build but used richiestang_78's resources for the order, many thanks for taking the time. And SamirD, I sure hope so! I guess I didn't realize how outdated the 8350 truly was, but as an AMD guy, I probably gave it more credit than was due. Have a good one friends.

Reactions: kwikgta