[SOLVED] What should I upgrade to?

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
Hello!

Recently, I have been looking into upgrading my i5 6600K.
I build by PC around 2 years ago and went with the i5 since I was able to get it for a good price and I was planning on upgrading it later anyway. The CPU actually worked good enough for me, longer than expected, but now I feel like I should upgrade as some games I play are bottlenecked by my CPU big time.

Here are some of my PC specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z170 pro gaming
CPU: i5 6600K
GPU: Asus Strix 1070 gaming
Memory: Corsair 16 GB DDR4-3000 (2 modules of 8)

Here are the games I mostly play:
  • GTA V (mostly modded servers only)
  • Beat Saber (VR)
  • Super Hot VR
  • Rocket League
  • The Forest (Sometimes in VR aswell)

I am planning on streaming once ina while, but not that often. Its probably something I will do, but will stop over time. If I stream, it will most likely be modded GTA, but I am not sure if its worth it to keep this in mind for a new CPU as I probably won't do it much anyway.

Now I want to be open for anything, so I also looked at AMD Ryzen CPU's, but the issue that would bring me is that I will have to buy a new motherboard aswell, which will cost me quite a bit again. This was the point where I was looking at the Intel i7-7700K. I am able to do a BIOS update with my current 6600K, sell the 6600K to a friend who can really use it and then use a 7700K. Going with newer generations will also mean that I would have to buy a new motherboard.
In my country (Netherlands), PC parts aren't the cheapest and I was hoping someone got great advice.

Please let me know what you think!

Solution
For the same price of a 7700K, I could get a 2700X and a Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING... And then I still would have 90 euro's left which i could use to buy a CPU cooler... So I think that would be better to do then right?
The 2700x would cream the I7 7700k for streaming games and smoothness of framerate in games, but in some games, the 7700k may actually have a higher overall framerate. Ryzen 3rd generation is far faster than 2nd generation in games. An R5 3600 will surpass an R7 2700x and I 7700k all around in gaming.
Also, is the combination of CPU and Motherboard I gave any good? And would this just work fine with the rest of my system? RAM for example.
Motherboard and 2700x will work well. Your ram should work...
The 7700k is still a very powerful CPU, but it seems to still be overpriced. Costs way more than a new I5 or Ryzen 5 that will perform better.

If you have the 7700k in budget, go that route. If you have the budget for a new platform, go and buy a ryzen 5 and mobo.

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
The 7700k is still a very powerful CPU, but it seems to still be overpriced. Costs way more than a new I5 or Ryzen 5 that will perform better.

If you have the 7700k in budget, go that route. If you have the budget for a new platform, go and buy a ryzen 5 and mobo.

I see. What Ryzen 5 and motehrboard could you recommend though? I am not even close to familiair with AMD, so it would be a new route for me, which I am willing to appraoch if it fits my budget ofcourse.

Also, shouldn't it be smart to just go with the 7700K for now and decide if I switch platform in like 2 yars when there is maybe even more? Since now I can still do this upgrade with my current Z170.

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
Its up to you, but this may make sense depending on price in your area.

Something like a ryzen 5 3600 and MSI b450 tomahawk would rival an 8700k
Alright!
I did some research and I found out that the Ryzen 7 2700X is litteraly half the price of a 7700K in my country.
For the same price of a 7700K, I could get a 2700X and a Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING... And then I still would have 90 euro's left which i could use to buy a CPU cooler... So I think that would be better to do then right? Seeing what games I play. Also, is the combination of CPU and Motherboard I gave any good? And would this just work fine with the rest of my system? RAM for example.

Reactions: Boom3rang123
Reactions: NightHawkRMX
For the same price of a 7700K, I could get a 2700X and a Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING... And then I still would have 90 euro's left which i could use to buy a CPU cooler... So I think that would be better to do then right?
The 2700x would cream the I7 7700k for streaming games and smoothness of framerate in games, but in some games, the 7700k may actually have a higher overall framerate. Ryzen 3rd generation is far faster than 2nd generation in games. An R5 3600 will surpass an R7 2700x and I 7700k all around in gaming.
Also, is the combination of CPU and Motherboard I gave any good? And would this just work fine with the rest of my system? RAM for example.
Motherboard and 2700x will work well. Your ram should work with any ryzen motherboard and CPU combo. If you go with an R5 3600, you will want a different motherboard that can have the bios updated without a CPU in order to boot the 3600. An MSI B450 tomahawk/gaming plus has this feature.
And then I still would have 90 euro's left which i could use to buy a CPU cooler...

BTW, all ryzen 2xxx and 3xxx CPUs come with a cooler. While you may want to buy an aftermarket one to keep the system quiet or keep the CPU cooler under overclocking, it is not necessary for stock operation.

The Ryzen 7 2700x comes with the AMD Wraith Prism RGB cooler. The Ryzen 5 3600 comes with the inferior Wraith Stealth cooler.

Solution

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017

Motherboard and 2700x will work well. Your ram should work with any ryzen motherboard and CPU combo. If you go with an R5 3600, you will want a different motherboard that can have the bios updated without a CPU in order to boot the 3600. An MSI B450 tomahawk/gaming plus has this feature.

BTW, all ryzen 2xxx and 3xxx CPUs come with a cooler. While you may want to buy an aftermarket one to keep the system quiet or keep the CPU cooler under overclocking, it is not necessary for stock operation.

The Ryzen 7 2700x comes with the AMD Wraith Prism RGB cooler. The Ryzen 5 3600 comes with the inferior Wraith Stealth cooler.
Interesting! So what exactly would make the 3600 better over the 2700? As the prices are identical in my country.
Again, sorry... I have no experience with AMD at all

AMD's 3rd generation was highly anticipated and for good reason.

3rd generation is based on a new architecture compared to 2nd generation and 1st generation Ryzen.

Here are some of the benefits of 3nd generation vs 2nd generation
  • Higher IPC. 3rd generation CPUs have stronger single-threaded performance VS 2nd generation, even when clock speeds are the same.
  • Higher clock speeds. Ryzen 3000 models generally have higher clock speeds than 2nd generation. (the 2700x has higher boost than 3600 which is an exception) Clockspeed+IPC improvements help gaming a lot.
  • Cache. Ryzen 3000 has double the Cache compared to 2nd generation. (Ryzen 5 3600 has 32mb L3 while the I7 7700k has only 8mb)
  • Ryzen 3000 has other benefits as well.
The 3600 is a much better CPU for gaming, but is a bit behind the 2700x for streaming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uB17Io2is

Heres a 3600x vs I7 8700k (both 6 cores)
The 3600 will be slightly slower than the 3600x, but barely noticeable all in all.

Reactions: RodroX

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
AMD's 3rd generation was highly anticipated and for good reason.

3rd generation is based on a new architecture compared to 2nd generation and 1st generation Ryzen.

Here are some of the benefits of 3nd generation vs 2nd generation
  • Higher IPC. 3rd generation CPUs have stronger single-threaded performance VS 2nd generation, even when clock speeds are the same.
  • Higher clock speeds. Ryzen 3000 models generally have higher clock speeds than 2nd generation. (the 2700x has higher boost than 3600 which is an exception) Clockspeed+IPC improvements help gaming a lot.
  • Cache. Ryzen 3000 has double the Cache compared to 2nd generation. (Ryzen 5 3600 has 32mb L3 while the I7 7700k has only 8mb)
  • Ryzen 3000 has other benefits as well.
The 3600 is a much better CPU for gaming, but is a bit behind the 2700x for streaming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uB17Io2is

Heres a 3600x vs I7 8700k (both 6 cores)
The 3600 will be slightly slower than the 3600x, but barely noticeable all in all.
Alright.

I also looked at the difference of the 3600 and 3600x, bit I don't see anything that's worth the extra €60,-. It's also a different cooler from what I can see, but I will get an other one anyway.
I would be able to get my hands on the 3600 for around €195,-, the 2700 for 175,- and the 2700x for 186,-. Would you still recommend the 3600 non x over the others?

Thank you so much btw, you opened a new world for me.

Alright.

I also looked at the difference of the 3600 and 3600x, bit I don't see anything that's worth the extra €60,-. It's also a different cooler from what I can see, but I will get an other one anyway.
I would be able to get my hands on the 3600 for around €195,-, the 2700 for 175,- and the 2700x for 186,-. Would you still recommend the 3600 non x over the others?

Thank you so much btw, you opened a new world for me.
If you are mainly gaming and just streaming very occasionally, go with the 3600.

Now here's a little more complicated bit. Unless you want to buy a crazy pricy X570 motherboard (B550 isn't out yet), your best choice is a B450 or X470 motherboard.

Just like running a 7700k on Z170, a 3600 will only work on B450/x470 if the motherboard has an updated bios revision. Luckily, as long as you pick one of these motherboards you can update the BIOS even with an incompatible CPU.

With a board not on that list like the Gigabyte x470 you listed, you may get a no boot with the 3600.

The process is simple and detailed below for MSI boards.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
If you are mainly gaming and just streaming very occasionally, go with the 3600.

Now here's a little more complicated bit. Unless you want to buy a crazy pricy X570 motherboard (B550 isn't out yet), your best choice is a B450 or X470 motherboard.

Just like running a 7700k on Z170, a 3600 will only work on B450/x470 if the motherboard has an updated bios revision. Luckily, as long as you pick one of these motherboards you can update the BIOS even with an incompatible CPU.

With a board not on that list like the Gigabyte x470 you listed, you may get a no boot with the 3600.

The process is simple and detailed below for MSI boards.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE
Awesome! I probably will go for the 3600 yes. That video you showed me earlier gave me a lot of information. I am just curious how the hell the price difference is so big! Its more than half the price to get something that performs the same game wise and performs better workstation wise....
Anyway, I found out that the company who offers these CPU's and motherboards I want to buy also offers CPU + CPU fan (+ RAM) installations + testing for around 20-25€. I will try and email them, asking if they would use an other CPU to do an installation on the motherboard and then install the 3600 so I can use it without having to buy one of those boards.

Thanks again! Will update once I got a response!

Awesome! I probably will go for the 3600 yes. That video you showed me earlier gave me a lot of information. I am just curious how the hell the price difference is so big! Its more than half the price to get something that performs the same game wise and performs better workstation wise....
Anyway, I found out that the company who offers these CPU's and motherboards I want to buy also offers CPU + CPU fan (+ RAM) installations + testing for around 20-25€. I will try and email them, asking if they would use an other CPU to do an installation on the motherboard and then install the 3600 so I can use it without having to buy one of those boards.

Thanks again! Will update once I got a response!
To be fair, the 8700k is a little older. The newer I7 9700k will perform better and only costs a bit more, but its nothing major.

There was a reason Ryzen 3000 was highly anticipated.

The route with the combo seems like a good option to see that the BIOS is updated.

yourilevoye

Reputable
Jan 6, 2017
To be fair, the 8700k is a little older. The newer I7 9700k will perform better and only costs a bit more, but its nothing major.

There was a reason Ryzen 3000 was highly anticipated.

The route with the combo seems like a good option to see that the BIOS is updated.
Great news!
I already found out myself that the webshop even offers a service where they update your Motherboard to the latest version and even install your CPU for only €9,00. They will use a CPU that is compatible with the board to update it and then install your chosen CPU. Only difference with the 25,00 service is that they wont install the cooler too, but that is fine with me!
I was looking at the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, mainly because of the more neutral looking design (No red overload etc) and it got Bluetooth, which is a very nice extra for me, but I chose this motherboard mainly because it has the option to update without CPU.

Do you have any other recommendations for motherboards? Since I dont have to worry about BIOS updates now.