[SOLVED] What thermal paste and thermal pads to use for laptop gf63 thin

pancake95

Commendable
Feb 6, 2020
Hello I am going to open my laptop for cleaning and changing thermal paste and thermal pads. My laptop is MSI GF63 9SC with INTEL CORE i5-9300h and NVIDIA 1650 MAX-Q.
I stopped myself on the thermal paste Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease 1 gr. I want to ask is this enough for only one application or two? Also I want to change the thermal pad on the GPU, but I read in a thread that there are different thicknesses for the different models. I searched for my model of laptop and I do not find what thickness the thermal pad is supposed to be for the GPU. Another question is should I change the thermal pads on the SSD and if I should what should be the thickness of those pads too.
The temperatures I have now are around 86 C on the CPU and the GPU when playing a game like GTA IV, which is something that is not that heavy for my understanding, because the game is 10+ years old, also I get these temps or slightly higher when playing Fortnite or Rainbow Six Siege for one match. I take in consideration that it is summer, but in the room it is not super hot, around 28-32 C. The laptop is not opened for 1.5-2 years and when playing a game I get it heating from the top of the keyboard where is the battery pack I think first.
So I am asking what is the thickness for a thermal pad on this laptop and should I change the thermal pads on the SSD basically?
A question for this laptop was asked, but only for the thermal paste.
P.S. Also should I use any special liquid for removing the stock thermal paste or not?
Thank you in advance!

Solution
You could remove the thermal paste using 70%++ alcohol or isopropyl alcohol(the better the % the easier it removes the paste). For what i've seen from many forums, Kyronaut, KPX, NT H1 pastes arn't great for mobile use, while they have great thermal conductivity they seems to degrade faster on mobile use, i usually use between Arctic MX4 and MX5 or Gelid GC Extreme for better longetivity.

For thermal pad you should try to measure the thickness, and some pad that is good is Arctic Thermal pad or Thermal Grizzly minus pad 8. You should try to clean the heatfins and the fans out of dust, before applying the thermal paste.
You could remove the thermal paste using 70%++ alcohol or isopropyl alcohol(the better the % the easier it removes the paste). For what i've seen from many forums, Kyronaut, KPX, NT H1 pastes arn't great for mobile use, while they have great thermal conductivity they seems to degrade faster on mobile use, i usually use between Arctic MX4 and MX5 or Gelid GC Extreme for better longetivity.

For thermal pad you should try to measure the thickness, and some pad that is good is Arctic Thermal pad or Thermal Grizzly minus pad 8. You should try to clean the heatfins and the fans out of dust, before applying the thermal paste.

Solution

pancake95

Commendable
Feb 6, 2020

How to measure the thickness of the thermal pad, arent they pretty slim and in the range of milimeters?

TRENDING THREADS