[SOLVED] What's causing WiFi Time Outs ?

Feb 10, 2021
Hey there,
I'm new to the whole computer thing but I've recently built my first gaming PC. The motherboard I chose does not have a built in WiFi Adapter so I bought a TP-Link AC600 Archer T2U Nano. Downloading games seemed fast and fine, but after playing CS:GO for literally 5 minutes I was noticing constant internet disconnections. I ran a ping test through the Command Prompt and found I had a stable 30-40 ping, but would get "Response Timed Out" every minute or so. I have tested other devices on the same network and they all work fine. I have also tried moving my PC close to my router and also tried plugging it in via ethernet. Having it closer did nothing to the ping or upload/download speeds. Having it plugged in via ethernet fixed the problem but I ideally want to have my PC else where in the house and cannot make the cable connections. All drivers, windows and BIOS are up to date. Both my router and adapter should reach speeds of upto 400mbps but PC runs at 70mbps.
Any kind of help would be appreciated :)
Thanks in advance.

What I Have:
-MasterBox MB600L
-Gigabyte B460 HD3 ATX Form Factor
-Intel Comet Lake Core i5 10400 6 Core/12 Threads 2.9Ghz, 12MB LGA 1200 (Not Using Included CPU Cooler)
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler
-EVGA Geforce GTX 1660 Super
-HyperX Fury 16GB RAM (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz, CL16 1.35V
-Samsung 860 EVO MZ-N6E500BW 500GB, M.2 2280
-Cooler Master MasterFan 3 In 1 Kit, 3x MasterFan Pro 120mm Addressable RGB Fan + 1x Mini RGB Controller
-EVGA 600 BR 600W Power Supply 80+ Bronze, Single + 12V Rail. 120mm Fan, MEPS Ready

-TP-Link AC600 Archer T2U Nano Wireless USB Adapter

-Windows 10 Version 20HL

Router: SPARK VRV9517 (On UltraFibreMAX)

Last edited:
Solution
This is the huge problem with wifi and games. Most other application you do not even see latency spikes and packet loss. Games use almost no bandwidth but they require extremely consistent packet delays.

Those tiny nano units generally have low transmit power and small antenna to be used on portable devices where portability and battery life are important.

This tends to be the highest rated usb adapter. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-AC68/

You will notice the large antenna size and the remote mounting from the desktop.

Changing channels is pretty much old information that no longer works. Every channel is likely in use. The problem is newer routers are using blocks of 4 of those channels and there are only 9...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you sure that only one network adapter is enabled? Either wired or wireless as required/desired?

Not both. Only one network adapter should be enabled on your computer.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Reactions: iApnea
Feb 10, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you sure that only one network adapter is enabled? Either wired or wireless as required/desired?

Not both. Only one network adapter should be enabled on your computer.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

I Only Have 1 Adapter, And Wireless Is Pretty Much Required.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-GD8TM76
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-C0-4D-93-4A-07
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D2-37-45-97-70-53

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D0-37-45-97-70-53

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-Link Wireless Nano USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D0-37-45-97-70-53
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6117:7859:73dc:63e1%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.76(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 11 February 2021 1:24:10 pm
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, 12 February 2021 1:27:10 pm
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 114308933
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-B3-70-D3-18-C0-4D-93-4A-07
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

Is that USB adapter directly plugged into one of the host computer's USB ports?

Try using a USB extension cable to raise the Archer USB adapter up and away from the host computer.

Experiment a bit with where you position the USB wireless network adapter at the end of USB extension cable.

Feb 10, 2021

Is that USB adapter directly plugged into one of the host computer's USB ports?

Try using a USB extension cable to raise the Archer USB adapter up and away from the host computer.

Experiment a bit with where you position the USB wireless network adapter at the end of USB extension cable.
Tried this, same results :/

Feb 10, 2021
Are there other wireless networks in your vicinity?

If so, take a look at what frequencies and channels are being used.

Try switching to a lesser used used frequency and/or channel.
There are 3 other networks around me (Neighbors)
I've tried many different channels with no luck. I thought changing it to Channel 40 had fixed it as it didnt time out, until I was in a game. (Still had spikes of 3000+ms)

I will continue to try more channels but I've tried 20+ and none have fixed it.

Also thank you for the replies and help :)

Add on: How do you check what channels are in use from neighbors?

This is the huge problem with wifi and games. Most other application you do not even see latency spikes and packet loss. Games use almost no bandwidth but they require extremely consistent packet delays.

Those tiny nano units generally have low transmit power and small antenna to be used on portable devices where portability and battery life are important.

This tends to be the highest rated usb adapter. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USB-AC68/

You will notice the large antenna size and the remote mounting from the desktop.

Changing channels is pretty much old information that no longer works. Every channel is likely in use. The problem is newer routers are using blocks of 4 of those channels and there are only 9 total. Many tri-band routers use all of them. The new wifi 6 uses blocks of 8 channels. It is pretty much impossible to find unused channels. Maybe when wifi6e comes out with all the new bandwidth in the 6g range it might be possible

Reactions: iApnea and Krotow
Solution

Exactly. Largest problem with portable devices, USB WiFi dongles and laptops is very small antenna size. In laptops and smartphones - also obstruction by aluminum lid, metallic frame and user body and hands in WiFi AP direction.

Changing channels is pretty much old information that no longer works. Every channel is likely in use. The problem is newer routers are using blocks of 4 of those channels and there are only 9 total. Many tri-band routers use all of them. The new wifi 6 uses blocks of 8 channels. It is pretty much impossible to find unused channels. Maybe when wifi6e comes out with all the new bandwidth in the 6g range it might be possible

That is why auto channel selection in decent routers and WiFi devices became a norm for a decade already. And in Europe radio frequency using rules for WiFi frequency range demand listening before transmitting to know which channel is free at the moment. Though for 2.4 GHz WiFi range in apartment homes and complexes and small office buildings situation is sad. 2.4 GHz range is soo clogged that one may expect more or less adequate latency for gaming only in 5 GHz range. Or in worse situation - should use Ethernet cable. Or move to live out of city.