What's that square 4-slot power plug for on motherboard

pjstock

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I am trying to trouble shoot a possibly bad power supply.

What is the smaller 4-slot power plug on the motherboard for? (the reason for my asking is below)
slot A in this photo.
ATI%2520motherboard.jpg

My PC was not powering up this morning.
the power supply has a flashing green light on the back.
when I removed the power supply and disconnected everything from the MB and repowered the PS, the light goes steady green.

figuring, what the heck, I plugged the longer power male back into the MB (I think it is called an ATX power supply) And a light went on and I was able to power up (sort of) at least the fan fire up and it made all the right poweringup sounds.

if I then disconnected though the power supply box from the mains power and reconnected, I could NOT get the unit to power up. (at this point I still had not connected the smaller square 4female slot plug).

So, the only sequence that allows me to sort of power up is:
- Disconnect ATX plug.
- leave the small 4slot plug DISconnected
- power up the Power Supply box
- plug in the ATX plug to the MB.

hit the ON button and it seems to power up. (though with the HDD attached it does not boot to Windows XP)

When however I then plug in the small 4-slot male plug it all just dies.

What does the square 4-slot plug power?

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Well, Slot A seems like a regular PCIE power port. I guess that's how it gets power.

Have you made sure you put caps on the right motherboard pins? Those things to the far-left of the board, near the bottom. Very easy to not put a cap on right or to forget it.

I had a similar problem once I installed a new CPU. Had to turn off my compy and turn it back on around 12 times to get it to boot (And once it booted, 'Twas fine). The remedy was to overclock my ram (Stock 667 MHz) by 8 MHz (675 MHz).

pjstock

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
On my power supply box I have a steady green light when it is just externally powered. But as soon as I plug into the motherboard, it goes to flashing green.
does that signify something (he asks naively)?

pjstock

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Thank you.
but the photo was not of my actual motherboard. (the photo I snapped of mine was too dark.) Rather it was a photo I found online that showed the same key bits that I was inquiring about.
Peter