What's the deal with MS05-002 (KB891711.EXE) and Windows 98?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

Me too. Not a single problem. I'm on dial-up with a 9year old Gateway.

"SFB - KB3MM" <Mickey@MouseHouse.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > : > : > > without too much trouble if I wanted to but my heart is with
> > keeping
> > : > the
> > : > : > > U.S.A and its Allies and businesses and finally consumers to
try
> > and
> > : > get
> > : > : one
> > : > : > > small leg up on the PEOPLE who hack machines for a hobby, the
> > : > : terriorists and
> > : > : > > finally the script kiddies. Let me know how I and others can
> help
> > : you
> > : > : with
> > : > : > > your computer problems. Have a nice day!
> > : > : > >
> > : > : > > "98 Guy" <98@Guy.com> wrote in message
> > : > news:42330B5D.1F0A641A@Guy.com...
> > : > : > > :
> > : > : > > : If you don't know what I'm talking about, look here:
> > : > : > > :
> > : > : > > :
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-002.mspx
> > : > : > > :
> > : > : > > : If you're running Win 98, and have recently (within the past
> > week)
> > : > : > > : gone to Windows Updates and updated your computer, you
almost
> > : > : > > : certainly now have the file "KB891711.EXE" running in the
> > : background.
> > : > : > > : It is set to run automatically at startup. First time any
> such
> > : > update
> > : > : > > : or security patch has been configured to operate (instead of
> > : simply
> > : > : > > : replacing an existing file).
> > : > : > > :
> > : > : > > : Even though Micro$loth sez that MS05-002 (KB891711.EXE) is
> > : critical
> > : > : > > : for Win-98, I've read where some (many) people are simply
> > : > deactivating
> > : > : > > : it (via msconfig).
> > : > : > > :
> > : > : > > : Does anyone really know the truth regarding Win-98 and
> > : KB891711.EXE?
> > : > : > > :
> > : > : > > : Is there anything special about it (like running it in safe
> mode
> > : > : > > : properly install it) ?
> > : > : > > :
> > : > : > > : Is it really needed? (for win-98) ?
> > : > : > > :
> > : > : > > : Is Win-98 really vulnerable to MS05-002 ???
> > : > : > >
> > : > : > >
> > : > :
> > : >
> > : >
> > :

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

Indeed it is.

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> You think that's a simple one, eh?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> The solution is simple: don't take in all the (supposed) "updates".
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> Just read the Win98.Gen_Discussion group, or the WindowsME.General
>>> group, and you'll see several examples of KB891711 causing BSODs.
>>> Believe me, there *is* a problem, and MS *is* working on a solution. The
>>> biggest problem we have, now, is most people who are having trouble with
>>> KB891711 don't seem to be willing to perform some rather simple tests
>>> and return the results.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "SFB - KB3MM" <Mickey@MouseHouse.com> wrote in message

>>> For

>>> want to
>>> these
>>> on
>>> patch
>>> Keep in
> Terhune
>>> pointed
> can't be
>> 100%
>>> secure
>>> not

>>> decided I
>>> nothing

>>> but what

>>> that
>>> this
> patch
>>> and have
>>> will be
>>> running
>>> fix but
>>> while
>>> need
>>> with the
>>> Ethernet
>>> you do
>>> asking for
>>> although
>>> could
>>> with
>>> to try
>>> can

>>> any

KB891711.EXE?

>>> safe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

OK, maybe you can share your philosophy on how one decides *which*
updates to install and which not to install.

--

> Indeed it is.
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > You think that's a simple one, eh?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> The solution is simple: don't take in all the (supposed)
"updates".

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

Simple. None. (And I'm still here to prove it).

Next?

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> OK, maybe you can share your philosophy on how one decides *which*
> updates to install and which not to install.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Indeed it is.
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> You think that's a simple one, eh?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

Unfortunately, the machines I saw the problems on were at work, the update was
removed right away, and I can't put it back on to test, as it is a work computer and
I cannot "test" on those.

I have not been able to repro the problem on another machine yet....maybe this
weekend I can try on some old machines here at home.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> [...]
> > > : KB891711.EXE?
> > > : > : > > :
> > > : > : > > : Is there anything special about it (like running it in
> safe
> > mode
> > > : > : > > : properly install it) ?
> > > : > : > > :
> > > : > : > > : Is it really needed? (for win-98) ?
> > > : > : > > :
> > > : > : > > : Is Win-98 really vulnerable to MS05-002 ???
> > > : > : > >
> > > : > : > >
> > > : > :
> > > : >
> > > : >
> > > :

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

I didn't mean that to sound as harsh as it looks. I fully understand why
people can't or don't want to repro the issue and/or waste more time on
the problem, particularly those who aren't familiar with the joys of
deliberately hacking their own systems, <eg>. Only, it would certainly
help if those who have experienced the problem could give more feedback
to the people who are now in charge of fixing it. Particularly those
folks who are especially computer savvy.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
> > although
> > could
> > with
> > to try
> > the
> > can
> > > help
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-002.mspx
> > past
> > almost
> > the
> > any
> > > such
> > (instead of
> > is
> > simply
> > safe
> > > mode

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

But you are shorter than once you were, Colorado! By 3/4's!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| Simple. None. (And I'm still here to prove it).
|
| Next?
|
| Gary S. Terhune wrote:
| > OK, maybe you can share your philosophy on how one decides *which*
| > updates to install and which not to install.
| >
| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS MVP Shell/User
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| >
| > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

"updates".

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

I can tell you this much, everything is working over here, including the
troubleshooters!

Well, except for that stupid file copy/delete problem in copying a large
number of files in Windows Explorer (with IE 6 and Win98SE) - but that's
been fixed by swapping those two DLL files.

So - hunky dory!

Plus I'm on a dial up, another added security benefit!

PCR wrote:
> But you are shorter than once you were, Colorado! By 3/4's!
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Simple. None. (And I'm still here to prove it).
>>
>> Next?
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> OK, maybe you can share your philosophy on how one decides *which*
>>> updates to install and which not to install.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

No BSOD here, but what is/are the simple test(s)?

> [...]
> >> not
> > asking for
> > although
> > could
> > with
> > to try
> > can
> >> help

> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-002.mspx

> background.
> > any
> >> such
> simply

> critical
> deactivating

> KB891711.EXE?

> > safe
> >> mode

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

Basic t-shooting to see what, if anything, else on the affected system
might be at least a pre-condition to the problem. I went through the
details in my post to Win98.Gen_Discussion of 3/14 07:27 PST, titled:
"Review of KB891711.exe issue"

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> No BSOD here, but what is/are the simple test(s)?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

More power to you. Off the record, I've never had a virus, nor has a
usually up-to-date McAfee ever informed me one had attempted. STILL, it
only takes one. Also, I'm sure, some of the security "flaws" MS are
always fixing don't need a virus to cause harm, but just a malicious WEB
site.

--
| I can tell you this much, everything is working over here, including
the
| troubleshooters!
|
| Well, except for that stupid file copy/delete problem in copying a
large
| number of files in Windows Explorer (with IE 6 and Win98SE) - but
that's
| been fixed by swapping those two DLL files.
|
| So - hunky dory!
|
| Plus I'm on a dial up, another added security benefit!
|
| PCR wrote:
| > But you are shorter than once you were, Colorado! By 3/4's!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| >> Simple. None. (And I'm still here to prove it).
| >>
| >> Next?

"updates".

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

I've gotten a virus/trojan horse/malware or two in the past, but I took care
of it. (I think I was off on some wild goose chase in my web searches, as
I recall). And I don't remember if I had my virus program up to date (I
don't think so).

One of them was a a bit of a pain to get rid of, but restoring the registry
saved the day (and actually was necessary, unless you wanted to spend some
pruning time in there). I think that was the MALWARE one (the infamous
"180solutions" one).

PCR wrote:
> More power to you. Off the record, I've never had a virus, nor has a
> usually up-to-date McAfee ever informed me one had attempted. STILL, it
> only takes one. Also, I'm sure, some of the security "flaws" MS are
> always fixing don't need a virus to cause harm, but just a malicious WEB
> site.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I can tell you this much, everything is working over here, including the
>> troubleshooters!
>>
>> Well, except for that stupid file copy/delete problem in copying a large
>> number of files in Windows Explorer (with IE 6 and Win98SE) - but that's
>> been fixed by swapping those two DLL files.
>>
>> So - hunky dory!
>>
>> Plus I'm on a dial up, another added security benefit!
>>
>> PCR wrote:
>>> But you are shorter than once you were, Colorado! By 3/4's!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>>> should things get worse after this,
>>> PCR
>>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

"updates".

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

I would go for my full system backup in that circumstance. Although I've
created a ton of partitions now, still I'm not that complex to restore.
Good for you, though, to beat them in hand to hand combat, Colorado.

--
| I've gotten a virus/trojan horse/malware or two in the past, but I
took care
| of it. (I think I was off on some wild goose chase in my web
searches, as
| I recall). And I don't remember if I had my virus program up to
date (I
| don't think so).
|
| One of them was a a bit of a pain to get rid of, but restoring the
registry
| saved the day (and actually was necessary, unless you wanted to spend
some
| pruning time in there). I think that was the MALWARE one (the
infamous
| "180solutions" one).
|
| PCR wrote:
| > More power to you. Off the record, I've never had a virus, nor has a
| > usually up-to-date McAfee ever informed me one had attempted. STILL,
it
| > only takes one. Also, I'm sure, some of the security "flaws" MS are
| > always fixing don't need a virus to cause harm, but just a malicious
WEB
| > site.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| >> I can tell you this much, everything is working over here,
including the
| >> troubleshooters!
| >>
| >> Well, except for that stupid file copy/delete problem in copying a
large
| >> number of files in Windows Explorer (with IE 6 and Win98SE) - but
that's
| >> been fixed by swapping those two DLL files.
| >>
| >> So - hunky dory!
| >>
| >> Plus I'm on a dial up, another added security benefit!

| "updates".

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

I'm computer savvy enough to know I'm done with those updates. (YMMV).
I've learned my lessons the hard way. That's my story, and I'm stickin to
it - well, at least for the most part, anyway!

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> [...]
>>> with
> consumers
>>> to try
> hobby,
>>> the
> others
>>> can

> the
>>> past
> in
>>> the
> time
>>> any

> (KB891711.EXE)
>>> is

KB891711.EXE?

> in
>>> safe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

So, your purpose in participating in this thread is......?

--

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 06:27:45 -0600, Me & wrote:

> Find yourself a copy of Eudora 3.0.5 (very old). It's text only
> email. If there are pictures included you can choose to view them,
> but no html email. That's all I run. I hate html in my email.
> You can still download it from Eudora, but I am not sure if it can be
> purchased any longer. I bought it many years ago, I upgraded to a
> newer version, and found the newer ones were html ONLY. I went back
> to the old version.

That's not true. I use Eudora 6.2 (paid version) and I have the option to
turn off HTML, not allow HTML executables and there are other options. You
are just not looking in the right place to find them. Go to Tools ->
Options -> Display to change some settings and also Tools -> Options ->
Viewing Mail for other settings. You can send and view in plain text only.

I use 40tude Dialog (free) for NG reading. You have the option between
text/plain or raw message to view the messages.

Patty

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

To warn people of the possible pitfalls of just blinding subscribing to the
"I need to get an update!" mantra.

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> So, your purpose in participating in this thread is......?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I'm computer savvy enough to know I'm done with those updates. (YMMV).
>> I've learned my lessons the hard way. That's my story, and I'm stickin
>> it - well, at least for the most part, anyway!
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> I didn't mean that to sound as harsh as it looks. I fully understand why
>>> people can't or don't want to repro the issue and/or waste more time on
>>> the problem, particularly those who aren't familiar with the joys of
>>> deliberately hacking their own systems, <eg>. Only, it would certainly
>>> help if those who have experienced the problem could give more feedback
>>> to the people who are now in charge of fixing it. Particularly those
>>> folks who are especially computer savvy.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

The

<snipped for some brevity>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,alt.windows98 (More info?)

I've received a request from the team that's working on the
KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
been reported thus far.

(According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before journeying
out onto the internet.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"98 Guy" <98@Guy.com> wrote in message news:42330B5D.1F0A641A@Guy.com...

> If you don't know what I'm talking about, look here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-002.mspx
>
> If you're running Win 98, and have recently (within the past week)
> gone to Windows Updates and updated your computer, you almost
> certainly now have the file "KB891711.EXE" running in the background.
> It is set to run automatically at startup. First time any such update
> or security patch has been configured to operate (instead of simply
> replacing an existing file).
>
> Even though Micro$loth sez that MS05-002 (KB891711.EXE) is critical
> for Win-98, I've read where some (many) people are simply deactivating
> it (via msconfig).
>
> Does anyone really know the truth regarding Win-98 and KB891711.EXE?
>
> Is there anything special about it (like running it in safe mode to
> properly install it) ?
>
> Is it really needed? (for win-98) ?
>
> Is Win-98 really vulnerable to MS05-002 ???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,alt.windows98 (More info?)

Again, according to at least one person who's tried this latest number,
the right hand still doesn't know what the left hand is doing at MS. An
honest to God SNAFU. Unless you are stout of heart, I now recommend
holding off on those calls until I get *real* assurances.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> I've received a request from the team that's working on the
> KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had
problems
> with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
> them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
> problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not
yet
> received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than
has
> been reported thus far.
>
> (According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
> were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
> uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
> affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
> patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before
journeying
> out onto the internet.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "98 Guy" <98@Guy.com> wrote in message
> >
> > If you don't know what I'm talking about, look here:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-002.mspx
> >
> > If you're running Win 98, and have recently (within the past week)
> > gone to Windows Updates and updated your computer, you almost
> > certainly now have the file "KB891711.EXE" running in the
background.
> > It is set to run automatically at startup. First time any such
update
> > or security patch has been configured to operate (instead of simply
> > replacing an existing file).
> >
> > Even though Micro$loth sez that MS05-002 (KB891711.EXE) is critical
> > for Win-98, I've read where some (many) people are simply
deactivating
> > it (via msconfig).
> >
> > Does anyone really know the truth regarding Win-98 and KB891711.EXE?
> >
> > Is there anything special about it (like running it in safe mode to
> > properly install it) ?
> >
> > Is it really needed? (for win-98) ?
> >
> > Is Win-98 really vulnerable to MS05-002 ???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

Much as I hate to come to his defense, I suspect, if Terhune were
blindly doing anything, he'd 'a' fallen into an earthquake by now!

--
| To warn people of the possible pitfalls of just blinding subscribing
to the
| "I need to get an update!" mantra.
|
| Gary S. Terhune wrote:
| > So, your purpose in participating in this thread is......?
| >
| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS MVP Shell/User
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| >
| > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| >> I'm computer savvy enough to know I'm done with those updates.
(YMMV).
| >> I've learned my lessons the hard way. That's my story, and I'm
stickin
| >> it - well, at least for the most part, anyway!

| update
| work

| yet....maybe

WindowsME.General
BSODs.
| The
| with

| <snipped for some brevity>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

I didn't say it with disrespect, but just as a cautionary measure. And I
think we are all entitled to have our own opinions.

I don't think there is one "right" answer for everyone in all situations -
that's all.

PCR wrote:
> Much as I hate to come to his defense, I suspect, if Terhune were
> blindly doing anything, he'd 'a' fallen into an earthquake by now!
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> To warn people of the possible pitfalls of just blinding subscribing to
the
>> "I need to get an update!" mantra.
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> So, your purpose in participating in this thread is......?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

The

>> <snipped for some brevity>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

Naturally, I, too, have only ever insulted Terhune entirely by accident.
And the day his Poodles fail to catch him by the toes toppling into an
earthquake, I will be the FIRST to write his obituary!

OK, then. Just, keep your most important stuff isolated from the NET,
then, if you don't want any updates. Don't get lazy like I did &
ultimately keep a copy of your taxes on the hard drive! OK, bye.

--
| I didn't say it with disrespect, but just as a cautionary measure.
And I
| think we are all entitled to have our own opinions.
|
| I don't think there is one "right" answer for everyone in all
situations -
| that's all.
|
| PCR wrote:
| > Much as I hate to come to his defense, I suspect, if Terhune were
| > blindly doing anything, he'd 'a' fallen into an earthquake by now!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| >> To warn people of the possible pitfalls of just blinding
subscribing to
| the

(YMMV).
| stickin

| why
| on
| feedback

| it

| yet....maybe

WindowsME.General
BSODs.
| The
| with
| tests

| >> <snipped for some brevity>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,alt.windows98 (More info?)

OK! OK! OOOKKK!!!

--
| Again, according to at least one person who's tried this latest
number,
| the right hand still doesn't know what the left hand is doing at MS.
An
| honest to God SNAFU. Unless you are stout of heart, I now recommend
| holding off on those calls until I get *real* assurances.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
|
| "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
....snip

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update,alt.windows98 (More info?)

The latest from MS:

"Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
98,
Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.

"Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
PCSAFETY."

I'm now assured, and fairly confident, that anyone who answers that
number will be up to speed on the issue.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
> update
> > > or security patch has been configured to operate (instead of
simply
> > > replacing an existing file).
> > >
> > > Even though Micro$loth sez that MS05-002 (KB891711.EXE) is
critical
> > > for Win-98, I've read where some (many) people are simply
> deactivating
> > > it (via msconfig).
> > >
> > > Does anyone really know the truth regarding Win-98 and
KB891711.EXE?

> > > Is there anything special about it (like running it in safe mode
> > > properly install it) ?
> > >
> > > Is it really needed? (for win-98) ?
> > >
> > > Is Win-98 really vulnerable to MS05-002 ???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:50:26 -0700, "Bill in Co."

>I can tell you this much, everything is working over here, including the
>troubleshooters!

>Well, except for that stupid file copy/delete problem in copying a large
>number of files in Windows Explorer (with IE 6 and Win98SE) - but that's
>been fixed by swapping those two DLL files.

More on that, please? Which two .DLL files?

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com