[SOLVED] whats the difference between the MSI RTX Gaming x TRIO and the MSI RTX SUPER Gaming X TRIO

magnus2307

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
So according to my local shop the Gaming x trio is no longer available and has been replaced by the super, which after my understanding is just a "overclocked" gaming x trio? from what ive read it just has a few more shader units and a higher core clock and memory clock?

electrcity where i live is mad expensive and im pretty much asking if the super is going to increase that electricity bill and what it does "better" than the gaming x trio (both cards are available at another supplier)

Solution
I think that you are confusing the super variant of the RTX cards with a model from MSI.

RTX 2060/2070/2080 are now superseded by the RTX 2060/2070/2080 SUPER variants. These are upgraded/overclocked versions of their predecessors. In general they are better versions.
I think that you are confusing the super variant of the RTX cards with a model from MSI.

RTX 2060/2070/2080 are now superseded by the RTX 2060/2070/2080 SUPER variants. These are upgraded/overclocked versions of their predecessors. In general they are better versions.

Solution

magnus2307

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018

so they are better, but will also draw a lot more power? or is it minimal

Same power draw, it’s essentially a refined process so they’ve slapped more cores in too. Think of them as mini Ti cards like 2060 Super is a 2060Ti and the 2070 is a 2070Ti. Doesn’t work with the 2080 because there’s already a Ti card that’s actually the same grade as a Titan from last gen.
Not true. In the Nvidia site all the super variants draw more power and need more wattage in PSU. For example 2060 needs 165w with 500w PSU and the super needs 175w with 550w PSU.
It makes sense since it's either overclocked or with more cores.

I am not saying it's significant bigger power draw. It IS more though. If someone is concerned about the electricity cost (like op does), he needs to know it. Also that is applied only to the cards that are made by Nvidia. Aftermarket manufacturers, may require significantly more power draw.

magnus2307

Prominent
Nov 28, 2018
That's a bit oxymoron. You can't run everything on max without a big amount of power draw. You need to find a balance between the settings of the games so your CPU and GPU will not be fully utilised in order to keep the power draw from reaching the max.

well i just play shit like apex, rainbow six siege and such, which i assumed didnt need all that to run max? as my old 6600k 1060 6gb ran it...well ok on high settings, the new build is a 9700k with 2080, hoping it wouldnt stress running such games high/max

It depends on the resolution and the refresh rate you are playing. If these are the same with your previous setup, then yeah you are fine. If you have changed the monitor or turn off the vsync to have limitless fps, then they will be running in max speeds

That is EXTRA cost, I remind you.
If your PC with the non super draws 450w at peak, that means 0.3195 currency per hour or 7.668 currency per day. With the super variant that goes 0.3445 per hour or 8.264 currency per day.

Of course that is IF you always use it at peak, which you don't normally.