[SOLVED] Whats the maximum safe underclock I can do for my 2 2080 Ti's in NVLINK SLI?

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Hello all,

I am trying to underclock my 2 Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OCs in NVLINK SLI because I want my PC to draw less wattage from the wall to lower my electric bill every month. Currently at default settings, I am drawing about 750-850 watts playing Battlefield V at 4k 144hz max settings in the 64-player servers. My PC at stock settings can do 170FPS-200FPS at this set up.

I use the program Aorus Engine to try to underclock; here is a picture of my profiles for both GPUs after some underclock tweaking:

https://ibb.co/tx1w3N8

Even underclocked to the settings in the images, my PC can still hit the 144FPS at 4k max settings. However, I dont want to push my luck and have my PC break on me because I am sending too little power to the GPUs. The Aorus Engine program wont let me change the "GPU VOLTAGE(%)" to a lower number, only a higher number. But I can only change the "POWER TARGET(%)" number to a lower/higher number and I set it to 80% instead of 100%

So my questions is this:

1. Does anyone know the safest minimum underclock numbers for the RTX 2080 Ti 11GB?
  2. Does changing the "POWER TARGET(%)" number to a lower number decrease the wattage drawn from the wall?
  3. Why won't the Aorus Engine program let me change the "GPU VOLTAGE(%)" number to a lower number?

My ultimate goal is to have the bare minimum numbers to hit 4k 144hz/FPS while drawing the minimum wattage/power consumption from the wall.

Solution
Is it worth it?

If you managed to drop your consumption by 100W (which is a very very big drop), AND you were playing for 24 hrs a day 31 days a month, then you'd save around $9.60 assuming that power was priced at $0.13 per unit.

In reality you are playing for how long? 4 hrs a day 31 days a month? in which case it's around $1.5/month. Playing for 3.5 hours a day and not 4 hours would have a greater impact.

The simplest way would be to lock your FPS to 144, then the GPU and CPU would not work harder than they have to.
Is it worth it?

If you managed to drop your consumption by 100W (which is a very very big drop), AND you were playing for 24 hrs a day 31 days a month, then you'd save around $9.60 assuming that power was priced at $0.13 per unit.

In reality you are playing for how long? 4 hrs a day 31 days a month? in which case it's around $1.5/month. Playing for 3.5 hours a day and not 4 hours would have a greater impact.

The simplest way would be to lock your FPS to 144, then the GPU and CPU would not work harder than they have to.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution