Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 104 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
For some reason, I am still addicted to Overwatch...

But I also play APEX Legends, CS:GO and BFV...

For "classic" games I play Little big adventure (1&2) and Crash Bandicoot.

APEX Worth the download, trust me. It is the only battle royale game that currently like.

Have to say I am enjoying Apex Legends a lot. Only played a handful of matches (I'm level 9 and pretty much have exclusively used Pathfinder), but managed to get 2nd place with my squad (different squads) twice. It's pretty tough to win at the end, even when you think your squad is fully set. I had legendary armor and my squad had purple armor and we all saw the last squad first and still lost... ugh.

Looks like Overwatch just showed the new hero yesterday - Baptiste. A Haitian medic that left Talon in the lore. Can't wait to see what his abilities are.. maybe a PTR release today or Thursday?

Have to say I am enjoying Apex Legends a lot. Only played a handful of matches (I'm level 9 and pretty much have exclusively used Pathfinder), but managed to get 2nd place with my squad (different squads) twice. It's pretty tough to win at the end, even when you think your squad is fully set. I had legendary armor and my squad had purple armor and we all saw the last squad first and still lost... ugh.

Looks like Overwatch just showed the new hero yesterday - Baptiste. A Haitian medic that left Talon in the lore. Can't wait to see what his abilities are.. maybe a PTR release today or Thursday?

I am almost the same level, 12 I think. I have won 2 or 3 times on APEX....

Regarding OW, the new hero is now live on PTR...

Hey guys, it's been a month already huh?

The site looks nice. I'm digging the new looks.

Since I've last posted I have played through Metro Last Light Redux. I played it in anticipation of Metro Exodus and this game had been in my backlog for years now. Feels good to finally have played it till the end. I really liked the story and the graphics still look amazing. I somehow got the 'bad' ending even though I made careful observations of the world and the dialogues people were having between each other. I guess I couldn't accumulate enough morality points which kinda sucks because I put in the effort to try and get the 'good' ending.

On the PS4 I bought the Nathan Drake Collection and I've already played through Uncharted 1 & 2. Both games were fantastic with 2 easily being one of my favorite Uncharted games. They really upped it in the sequel, no doubt. I'm currently playing the third one but I'm taking a break from the PS4 for now.

Back on the PC, I've gone back to playing Yakuza 0. Feels good to be back in the Kamurocho district. I'm currently in chapter 9 or so and the story really is something. Very much digging it and keen on playing Yakuza Kiwami after this.
Regarding the upgrades, I've added in another 8GB stick and now I'm running in dual channel. I finally bought the RTX 2060 and it's sitting in the PC happily. A huge mistake I made was buying the Asus Dual version which probably has the biggest design I've ever seen. It's a huge card and I have an mATX board which means it now blocks all my SATA ports and the second PCIe slot. I'm happy with the performance though. I gotta get another UPS too which is another headache.

mcdoogan

Commendable
Oct 26, 2018
Just got back into Monster Hunter for the PS4 again. I usually hunt in parties but I figure I would try to solo hunt everything. Really gives a different experience in how you approach things in the game. :whistle:

Xeroshock

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
I got Far Cry New Dawn a few days ago. I loved Far Cry 5 so I figured New Dawn would be no different. Played a few hours and It's fine so far. It's quite interesting to see how the map of FC5 changed and seeing returning characters.

I've also jumped back into World of Warcraft after a nearly 4 year break - so that was quite interesting.

I'm still undecided if I want to jump into the Division 2 or if I should replay Witcher 3.

I've got too many games and too little time..

D

Deleted member 217926

Gah I lost track of this thread in the transition. Notifications only work if you've posted in a thread after the switchover.

Playing and enjoying Far Cry 5 after finishing all 4 Mass Effect games again.

Also ( not sure if I mentioned it here ) I finally upgraded my 980 Ti to an EVGA RTX 2070 XC. Great 1440p card!

4Iuknz9.jpg

Mar 8, 2019
For me, that game would be Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown. I have been playing that game for a month now on Steam and I enjoy it a lot. I've been a fan of the series since 2004 when I got Ace Combat 5 on the PS:2. :giggle:

hanotaink

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
Been into Overwatch lately, though getting a bit burned out so I though I should catch up on the witcher franchise. Already played the first one so now I'll play the second one because my new pc can finally run it with good graphics

finally finishing up Witcher 3 again. played upon OG release, then a NG+ when the two expansions were released. playing through this basic New Game again was probably the best idea. it was a lot of fun actually searching and leveling everything again, not just running into the game with the best of everything at lvl 40+.

- i really have loved the basic game again. the stories and characters are great, some heartbreaking and some hilarious. some of the quests still hit home remembering certain things from the first two games. i probably even should have played through 1 & 2 again also before getting into this. i would have to say The Witcher 3 is one of the best games i've played in the 35 or so years of playing.
- Hearts of Stone was a big disappointment. i didn't remember it being this awful the first time through. it was a terribly written love story with hours of gothic soap-opera cut-scenes. the antagonist is one of the cheesiest "devil" characters i've ever come across. got one decent armor-piercing fire sword out of the whole thing and it is much better than the end prize blade.
- Blood & Wine is turning out to be much better. the characters seem to have much more depth and the area is much nicer visually. has some cool side quests popping up and quiet a bit of area to explore. also leads to some better gear and upgrade options so that's a huge + this late in the game, ~lvl 30.

now when i finish this in the next week or so; on to what game(s)?
i have such a collection building up it is hard to choose between replaying something i know i love, and miss, or starting one of the new titles and not having wasted that money. a couple hundred bucks i have yet to enjoy:
  • Metro Exodus
  • Mutant Year Zero
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • AC: Origins
  • Pillars of Eternity 2
  • Dark Souls Remastered (completed Prepare to Die Edition NG+)
  • Edge of Eternity
and still have too many started last year that i need\want to finish also:
  • Ashen
  • Everspace
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda (2nd playthrough)
  • Fallout 4 (4th playthrough)
  • CoD: WWII
  • Skyrim: Special Edition (played original GoTY, maybe 2x)
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2nd playthrough)

Last edited:
finally finishing up Witcher 3 again. played upon OG release, then a NG+ when the two expansions were released. playing through this basic New Game again was probably the best idea. it was a lot of fun actually searching and leveling everything again, not just running into the game with the best of everything at lvl 40+.

- i really have loved the basic game again. the stories and characters are great, some heartbreaking and some hilarious. some of the quests still hit home remembering certain things from the first two games. i probably even should have played through 1 & 2 again also before getting into this. i would have to say The Witcher 3 is one of the best games i've played in the 35 or so years of playing.
- Hearts of Stone was a big disappointment. i didn't remember it being this awful the first time through. it was a terribly written love story with hours of gothic soap-opera cut-scenes. the antagonist is one of the cheesiest "devil" characters i've ever come across. got one decent armor-piercing fire sword out of the whole thing and it is much better than the end prize blade.
- Blood & Wine is turning out to be much better. the characters seem to have much more depth and the area is much nicer visually. has some cool side quests popping up and quiet a bit of area to explore. also leads to some better gear and upgrade options so that's a huge + this late in the game, ~lvl 30.

now when i finish this in the next week or so; on to what game(s)?
i have such a collection building up it is hard to choose between replaying something i know i love, and miss, or starting one of the new titles and not having wasted that money. a couple hundred bucks i have yet to enjoy:
  • Metro Exodus
  • Mutant Year Zero
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • AC: Origins
  • Pillars of Eternity 2
  • Dark Souls Remastered (completed Prepare to Die Edition NG+)
  • Edge of Eternity
and still have too many started last year that i need\want to finish also:
  • Ashen
  • Everspace
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda (2nd playthrough)
  • Fallout 4 (4th playthrough)
  • CoD: WWII
  • Skyrim: Special Edition (played original GoTY, maybe 2x)
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2nd playthrough)
Curious as to what you think of Metro Exodus? It was mostly a let down for me. 2033 and Last Light had more immersion and better battles IMO, plus Exodus is pretty buggy.

D

Deleted member 217926

I was looking forward to Exodus and would likely have preordered on Steam. Not even remotely interested in the Epic games software / launcher nor in having an account there.

Zero security:

I guess everything's spyware to some extent these days but this is extra shady.

So hopefully there will be a GOTY edition of Exodus next year when it hits Steam.

I was looking forward to Exodus and would likely have preordered on Steam. Not even remotely interested in the Epic games software / launcher nor in having an account there.

Zero security:

I guess everything's spyware to some extent these days but this is extra shady.

So hopefully there will be a GOTY edition of Exodus next year when it hits Steam.
I agree completely, and I blame it on Deep Silver. I really hope 4A Games seeks a better publisher soon, as I worry Deep Silver will ruin them otherwise. I too have seen the many reports of privacy issues with Epic Games Launcher. They're only response to it accessing your Steam account has been only if you link Steam games to your account. It seems pretty much every game browser that's tried to compete with Steam has it's dirty laundry.

I finished Yakuza 0 since I last posted. I really loved the story and the characters were all very memorable and charming. The main story is emotion filled and serious while the side quests are all funny as hell and very fun. I already started Yakuza Kiwami and I'm halfway through. This one is a complete remake of the original Yakuza (2005) with a few added in scenes here and there, to put in the connections with 0. I'm liking the story here too although the side quests aren't as fun as 0's.

I also got Resident Evil 2 and I had just finished a Leon A run. Now I gotta do a Claire B to get the actual ending but I'm taking a break from it for now. I've never played the original so everything is quite new to me here. There are some tense moments in the game but it was a lot of fun. The ammo up until the very end wasn't plentiful like in RE4 so it really felt like a survival horror game. I really enjoyed the closed and puzzle filled spaces of the police station. It was fun to backtrack through the levels, trying to find every box of ammo and herbs you can get. I'm not sure what to feel about the bullet sponge zombies but I guess they're sort of a trademark in the RE games.

I was very excited to hear that Bloodlines 2 is coming out next year. I can't wait for it! I hope they don't add in quest markers just because it's 2020 though...

Last edited:
I played through Far Cry New Dawn and was pleased it didn't have the forced captures, drug zombies, and animals appearing of FC5. They also added expeditions and outpost scavenging. Both allow you to replay them with tougher enemies for more resources. Didn't care for the main villains or the mostly rap sound track, but overall the gameplay is pretty good.

A couple areas they could have done much better though was the fight arena and the demolition derby track could have been better and doubled as a race track. I MUCH preferred Far Cry 4's fight arena, especially the mode where you had to progress through various weapon types. The demo derby track could have at least been a figure 8 configured with bridge for races, and without for derbys.

Where they SHOULD have put a small melee fight arena was in the bullet farm prison. That also should have been part of the necessary progression through the mission you do there. They could have required you to do at least 3 fights to take on the champion before you're able to get to an area where you take out the target. Just sneaking there was way too easy.

Currently I'm playing Monster Energy Supercross 2 and it's quite good and very challenging on Keyboard. I can often finally manage to win on Medium AI once I get the harder tracks down, but if you get too close to the AI or they get close to you, they often make you crash. Once in a while they will crash, but mostly they have more resilience to contact.

The tracks are definitely every bit as much your opponents as the AI, sometimes more so. The graphics are quite good for a mere 10GB game, especially the rain and mud effects. The sound however could be a bit better, but it's really only noticeable when you hold the gas down while in the air, which is a lot for many whom play it.

Here's an example of what can happen even if you have a comfortable lead most of the way with mere Medium AI. A few little mistakes and Musquin caught and passed me in the 2nd half of the last lap. Fortunately I was able to catch up and block pass him just before the finish. It is key to hold good speed in the berm before whoops to keep momentum up.

Last edited:
anybody keen on soccer? fifa or PES?

I used to play a lot of FIFA 06 when I was younger because I didn't have many games to play back then. Me, my brother and a friend would come over most evenings and play through a season of EPL. Makes me quite nostalgic. These days I still do play a bit only when my friend comes over and we just do an against match with me on the controller and him on the K&M.

I played through Far Cry New Dawn and was pleased it didn't have the forced captures, drug zombies, and animals appearing of FC5. They also added expeditions and outpost scavenging. Both allow you to replay them with tougher enemies for more resources. Didn't care for the main villains or the mostly rap sound track, but overall the gameplay is pretty good.

I just don't feel like playing a Far Cry game anymore. I don't think I'll ever come around to playing 5. So I've decided to just skip it from now on unless I change my mind or the far cry games have something that really makes me want to play it.

Currently I'm playing Monster Energy Supercross 2 and it's quite good and very challenging on Keyboard. I can often finally manage to win on Medium AI once I get the harder tracks down, but if you get too close to the AI or they get close to you, they often make you crash. Once in a while they will crash, but mostly they have more resilience to contact.

You could buy a controller and try playing racing games with those. Analog inputs for steering your car/bike really add to the fun.

You could buy a controller and try playing racing games with those. Analog inputs for steering your car/bike really add to the fun.
Matter of opinion and what device you spend most time on really. I've tried gamepads for race games before and I really don't like them. It's not them being analog that bothers me, it's that the toggles always have speed limiters built into them, which effects shooters AND racing games. So yes, you can easily arc turns with them, but often times they react too slowly causing you to snake back and forth desperately trying to correct the delay. Furthermore, the more well polished race games often have algorithms in them to smoothly arc turns even with Keyboard keys. The only problem with that is it involves holding down the key to do so, which takes precise timing. What I like most are race games which have steering values you can edit. This makes it possible to fine tune steering sensitivity even on Keyboard. This was the case for GRID 2, and it can drastically change the feel of the handling. I made a tutorial video on it.

The 1st race is stock steering, 2nd one with edited values. Race time improved 3.6 sec.

It's not just that gamepads with their slow analog toggles are antiquated (especially for aiming in shooters), it's that devs are also getting quite lazy when it comes to KB support for race games. So it's every bit as much about poor software support as the devices themselves. Worse yet, we've been hearing for years about pressure sensitive Keyboards opening up lots of possibilities from making fonts larger or steering radius' tighter the harder you press, but where are they?

Anyway, ME Supercross 2 I'm getting better at. There's a LOT of things to know about proper cornering. Everything from using advanced mode braking where front and rear brake are separately activated (rear only helps slide the rear end around), to using left/right arrows to lean, to picking a bike with different geometry for more steering responsiveness. I picked the KTM because it has best acceleration, but it also has sluggish steering. I may switch to the Kawasaki soon, as it has very good acceleration and responsive steering.

I haven't even started using separate brake controls yet, and already my times are improving quite a bit even on Daytona, which has a LOT of tight 180 turns. Leaning while cornering is not as easy as I thought it would be though. It's weird because I have no problem leaning forward or back to make my jump landings flat, but for some reason leaning left or right while cornering is feeling awkward.

I'm currently uploading a couple more vids I made last night. When I get the Daytona one uploaded I'll edit the post with it. I went off track on a jump at the 2:56 mark, which forced a restart at the point of infraction. Otherwise the time would have been better.

My goal is to get to the point were I can win most races on Med AI by 5 to 10 sec so I can move up to Hard AI. I already achieved a 5 sec win on Med AI at the Mercedes Benz track in Atlanta in Quick Race mode using the Kawasaki. I don't plan on ever being able to race on Realistic AI mode with a keyboard though.

Part of the problem is if you try to rail the 180 berms high and coast through them after braking, the follow camera is very slow to swing around. It's very frustrating and I don't know if this only happens in follow view, or using Keyboard, or on PC, whatever. I need to use follow view though because any of the views where the cam is close to the rider's POV limits your peripheral too much.

Last edited:

daveios92

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I never liked MOBA genre. But I love Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft franchise, so when they announced Heroes of the storm, it grew on me and I started to play and learn. I love city management strategy games, I started on Pharaoh, and continued to newest games like Cities Skylines, and now I am expecting Hard ancient life to rock my world.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
I started playing Diablo III on PC - beat the campaign on Xbox 360 a LONG time ago when the game first came out. Got the PC version two or more years ago and never got around to it, and just now getting through the campaign again - I am at Leoric's Manor chasing down the Coven. Have to beat the campaign before I can do the adventure mode/seasons stuff. Still playing Overwatch almost daily, and got back into Resident Evil 2 Remake getting through Claire B's run. I just got to the Umbrella Labs.

This is basically what I play right now:

Diablo III
Overwatch
Rocket League
Rainbow Six Siege
Resident Evil 2 (2019)
Far Cry 5
Battlefield 1 (game and all DLC set me back $13)
Battlefield V (got for $19 from eBay)

More recently I bought FFXV and NieR Automata and need to get back into FF, and start NiER. I buy too many games..

Last edited:
Curious as to what you think of Metro Exodus? It was mostly a let down for me. 2033 and Last Light had more immersion and better battles IMO, plus Exodus is pretty buggy.
i played about 45mins and didn't really get into it at all. though it definitely looks cool, i really didn't get the same immersion feeling either. a couple weeks before i had played a bit of 2077 and Last Light just to get a bit back into it again and i still enjoy those quite a bit more.

recently got an upgrade of my Borderlands 1&2 package on Steam to the updated and enhanced versions. have played through most of the original's GOTY Enhanced and these years later it is still a fun and hilarious game. i may just go right on to part 2 and replay it also.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS