Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 107 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Spec Ops is awesome, terribly awesome. When a game can make you feel like a horrible person it's doing something right, that white phosphorus part my god.

I recently picked up Frostpunk on a whim and am totally addicted, same developer who made this war of mine which is also great. If you like city building games I would recommend it, the aesthetic is beautiful and gameplay is much better than I was expecting.

D

Deleted member 14196

God of War games are most always great, the last one was very good. Agreed.

D

Deleted member 217926

I'm still being boring from the last page. Finished Max Payne 3 and started Battletech ( yes again, stupid game is a time sink! :p ) with the Season Pass now.

I reinstalled Dying Light. Think I'll kill some zombies again soon in anticipation of Dying Light 2. It's a great game.

Spec Ops is awesome, terribly awesome. When a game can make you feel like a horrible person it's doing something right, that white phosphorus part my god.
Yeah Spec Ops The Line is truly a visceral, gut wrenching game, and the challenge level on max difficulty really puts you to the test. That and Kane & Lynch 2 are both games that put you through raw emotion and palpitating combat on hardest modes. I would love to see another sequel in each of those series, but it probably won't happen.

about 85 hours into Star Wars - KoTOR II: Sith Lords and cannot defeat the semi-main antagonist woman. have given up for the time being.

finally started up Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire and the intro asks for a lot of info from your original PoE playthrough or a save game to upload. this had lead me to go back and actually finish the original's side-quests and DLC. soon realizing that i've forgotten the entire story and all the details has lead me to now start over the first game. so this should be a good 150 hours at least of PoE ahead of me now.
I reinstalled Dying Light. Think I'll kill some zombies again soon in anticipation of Dying Light 2. It's a great game.
me too. got a nice deal quite a while ago for an upgrade package from the original release to The Following Enhanced Edition and never even started it up. just reinstalled and started a new game last week. is still fun as hell. can't wait for part 2.

D

Deleted member 217926

Oh man The Following DLC is great. You get a buggy! lol I didn't particularly love the ending but gameplay is 10/10 for fun.

D

Deleted member 217926

Just bought Tomb Raider (2013) for $3 on sale at steam.
You can get every tomb raider game ever released for PC for $38.

I still haven't played Shadow. The 2013 reboot and Rise are great games though. I'll probably grab Shadow in the next Steam sale.

My only complaint with the reboot is it's too short. Rise took all the good parts and made them better and made the game about 3 times longer as well.

D

Deleted member 217926

I think it's around 15 hours.

Edit: Rise is more like 45 with the DLC. I wouldn't bother with the 2013 DLC unless it's nearly free. I think it's one tomb and some outfits.

I actually did play Shadow of the Tomb Raider after GoW, before starting AC Odyssey. I wanted to see how good the RTX was in the game. Sure enough, it was pretty remarkable. The shadows in the game looked really good with ray tracing on and the performance hit wasn't that bad to be honest.
I felt SOTR lacked combat so much. I didn't really feel like playing the side quests too much so maybe I must've missed something but the main quests really lacked enemy encounters. Story was okay and gameplay felt sort of similar to the past games, so not much to say there. I guess the emphasis was more on exploration in this game. But I kinda liked ROTR better.

Dying light was super fun. I can't wait for the sequel either!

I want to try KOTOR. I've always heard that it's really good RPG game.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
KOTOR 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, I have an old 1280x1024 monitor just for that game. Really wish they would modernize it a bit like they did with KOTOR 2, KOTOR 1 is kind of a mess on win 10 and no proper 16:9 support.

And yeah that boss battle at the end of KOTOR 2 is quite difficult. I spammed shields with a lot of energy hit points and eventually got through it, the 3 floating lightsabers part is a nightmare.

I think it's around 15 hours.

Edit: Rise is more like 45 with the DLC. I wouldn't bother with the 2013 DLC unless it's nearly free. I think it's one tomb and some outfits.
With TR 2013, or any games that have lots of side stuff and collectibles to scavenge via exploring, it really depends how much time you're willing to spend.

HowLongToBeat.com has it at 11.5 hrs main story, 15.5 hrs main + extra, and 20.5 hrs completionist.

Rise and Shadow it has as almost equal to one another at roughly 13 hrs, 22.5 hrs, and 33.5 hrs. To me, Shadow feels longer on a lot of collectibles because some are a pain to find. I never fully completed that one, but fully completed Rise at least twice. I would also say Shadow is a bit harder to play with everything turned to Hard, because it can be very hard to see navigational paths in places.

My least favorite of this trilogy is Shadow. Besides the convoluted exploration, which can often take you out of what little story immersion there is, it's exacerbated by often having to wear specific outfits in specific places. There was also often times when searching for collectibles, I found I had gone in from the wrong direction, and wound up having to fast travel to a completely different camp and start over. There are also places where I'd previously solved a puzzle., and some of it remained solved, but a certain missing element to unblock the path (since the object the puzzle's purpose was to destroy had respawned), was no longer there. They literally force you to find some things by going in only one way, and it got so annoying I gave up on collectibles because of it. Lastly, Shadow by far is the least optimized of the 3. There are places where you'll get a huge hitch at checkpoints on a 1080, but people on 1080 Tis didn't have the problem. A 1080 also yields plenty adequate FPS. I feel maybe they tried to cram too much into Shadow for the age of the engine used.

Last edited:
While still progressing with AC Odyssey, I thought I'd get into Devil May Cry on the side, starting with the first DmC from the HD collection. When I heard this game was a hack and slash, I thought it'd be an easy game. Boy was I wrong.

This game is pretty difficult with it's move sets, combos, unforgiving checkpoint system etc. I was expecting a fairly easy game that'd put me on a smooth highway all the way to DmC 5 but no. I was also expecting it to be a bit more story heavy but I was wrong there too.

It's one 'mission' to the next (short levels) but if you die, you only have limited continues in the form of yellow orbs (which is finite). If you run out of them, you'll have to restarted from the beginning of the level. I just had to do that in mission 4 even though I got so close to beating the boss. Pretty brutal.

isamuelson

Distinguished
I just picked up the original Diablo from GoG. Man I forgot how fun this game was. Never got to finish it and my CD is scratched to where it won't read and install. So glad that GoG finally got Diablo on their site. No CD required. No DRM. GoG is awesome!

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Currently playing starcraft 2 campaigns, I had finished the original wings of liberty (terran) campaign when it came out and many times since then on harder difficulties, I've recently reinstalled sc2 after getting the itch to play from watching streams/competition again and I noticed there is now a zerg and protoss campaign?!?! Almost finished with the zerg campaign, loving it so far, looking forward to the protoss

Also playing The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. I've never played anything from the Witcher series, but I'm really enjoying it

Recently finished Batman: Arkham Knight, I loved arkham city and asylum and I like this one just as much. Some say they hate the batmobile aspect of the game but I don't mind it... it has its moments

Before that I played halfway through divinity: original sin 2 and am currently taking a break before finishing the rest, loving it as well

Before these I finished Sekiro and the new resident evil 2 remake, both are great

I had played StarCraft II quite some time ago as well. It was only the Terran campaign as well. I rarely play strategy games but this one I liked. I haven't played Hearts of Swarm or Legacy of the void.

Agreed. I liked all of the Arkham games and now there's a tease of a new one coming out as well. Really excited to hear more about it.

Been playing Gears 5 lately. Kind of have mixed emotions about it. I like a lot of the new jack upgrades, and some of th elevel design is great, and the Skiff is cool, but the game is plagued with GW502 crash errors where it says GPU stopped responding. This has been happening to pretty much everyone who's played it. Some Nvidia GPU users say the new 436.30 Game Ready driver, which is supposed to be optimized for Gears, 5 is the culprit, claiming rolling back to 4360.15 fixes the problem. Not in my experience. On a good note, most notably so far there's an underground level that's more horror oriented where Kait finds her roots and the origin of the Locust Horde is reveled. It also has a pretty decent boss fight.

The game overall at best is getting mixed reviews, and most deservedly for the lack of polish alone. However no one really knows yet what is the cause of the crashing, but since it happens to both Nvidia and AMD users, you have to think the devs are largely to blame, especially since Gears 4 also had crashing problems.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Anyone playing the new PC release of Code Vein? I'm thinking about buying it but I've seen some alarming reviews about stuff like it being too short, a bit of a monotonous grind at times, etc and with a $59.99 price tag I'm just not sure I wanna grab it or not

I don't stay informed on gaming news that much so I'm very far out of the loop, but is red dead 2 seriously coming to PC??????
jiJiymQ.png

Just an update on Gears 5. Since the last cumulative update installed (about 2 weeks ago) for W10 1903, I've not had crashing in Gears 5, or even Wolfenstein Youngblood.

Regarding Gears 5, I'd normally say it's not the devs/pubs fault, but in this case the GoW franchise, as well as the team that now develops it, has been owned by MS since before GoW 4 released.