[SOLVED] When CPU power connector is plugged in, Pc doesn’t start

Jun 8, 2021
The computer turns instantly off when the CPU connector is plugged in, but when it isn’t, it runs just fine.
in the video that i will link i doesn’t show but when the cpu is plugged in, the power connector was doing some weird electrical noises, and when it was the other way around, instantly when i plugged the cpu, the pc would turn off.
here’s the link:https://youtube.com/shorts/uxDGbuj3FZo?feature=share

Solution
I’ve built it like 10-11 months ago and it has always worked, except sometimes it shut down randomly even when nothing was running, but that’s a gpu problem perhaps, so i don’t think it’s related
So it's a new problem....remove CPU and try it again. If it still shuts off with the CPU out then start a warranty claim on the motherboard. If it doesn't have the same symptoms then start a warranty claim on the CPU.

Random shut-downs are very common if not set up stable so that's not really significant all alone. It could also not really be shutting down, but windows going to 'sleep' and not waking up again, it looks the same. Windows' sleep and fast startup breaks almost as soon as it's installed.

One other thing though...you...
Did you recently build it? has it ever worked?

There's a defect in the CPU/VRM area...possibly a defective motherboard VRM. The weird electrical noises is probably because+12V is conducting extreme over-current, also causing the PSU to shut down.

If newly built it could also be a bent CPU pin shorting out power in the socket. And a last guess is it could be something touching the bottom of the motherboard, shorting it to ground.

So first things: take out CPU and try turning it on again, both with and with out CPU power connected. Also, examine all the pins carefully for any bent ones.

If it will turn on, then it's probably the CPU.

If it still won't turn on with CPU out then take everything else out of the case and bench test it. If it continues to do the same and not turn on with CPU power connected then 1)return for exchange or 2)contact the mfr.tech support and start a warranty claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexbirdie
Jun 8, 2021
I’ve built it like 10-11 months ago and it has always worked, except sometimes it shut down randomly even when nothing was running, but that’s a gpu problem perhaps, so i don’t think it’s related

So it's a new problem....remove CPU and try it again. If it still shuts off with the CPU out then start a warranty claim on the motherboard. If it doesn't have the same symptoms then start a warranty claim on the CPU.

Random shut-downs are very common if not set up stable so that's not really significant all alone. It could also not really be shutting down, but windows going to 'sleep' and not waking up again, it looks the same. Windows' sleep and fast startup breaks almost as soon as it's installed.

One other thing though...you might go ahead and remove the system from the case since the mobo seems to be toast. But as you do, look for something conductive that may gotten between the mobo and the case bottom. Also check that all the standoffs are in place and you used a screw in each one to hold the board securely.

Last edited:
Solution