Question When playing a game, my computer will shut down and tries to automatically restart but can't

Jul 21, 2019
For the past year or so I've been having an intermittent issue of my computer shutting down with no warning mid game. Normally it will happen for just intensive games graphically, but now I am experiencing it in games like CSGO which obviously shouldn't cause issue for my system. The computer will try to restart and I can hear the power flicking and the fans whirring up, I can see the motherboard light come on, and it will get stuck in this loop until I flick off the power supply, flick it back on and turn on the computer. Before I get to windows it will say there's been an unexpected shutdown and to press f2 to continue and what not. Benchmarking with Heaven has allowed me to recreate this issue every time***.

Computer Specs:
  • Windows 10 Home x64
  • MSI z270-A PRO motherboard
  • Intel i7-7700 CPU
  • Gigabyte GTX 1080
  • EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W PSU
-32GB Team T-Force Vulcan DDR4 RAM 2400MHz

Things I've tried:
-Replacing the PSU, I used to have a 750w Gold, but I still get the same issue now with the 1000w from above
-Monitoring temperatures, the GPU is at 73-74 C when the crash occurs in Heaven. I can't recall the CPU temps but they were also fine.

-I brought to a shop to have them diagnose, they ran memtest and stress-tested CPU and said temps were fine for CPU, Ram was fine, and GPU temps were fine. They were unable to reproduce running heaven so they gave the machine back.

- I've reinstalled Windows, I've updated MOBO BIOS, Reinstalled GPU drivers after running DDU

- I've checked event viewer and it says there's a critical error of "unexpected shutdown".

- I've tried the tests with RAM seated differently in different slots. Still will crash

- *** It doesn't crash if the case side panel is open, I'll try again after this post to confirm, but that leads me to believe there's something wrong with cooling? Even though temps are fine?

- I don't have a spare GPU or MOBO to test with.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS update are you on at the moment? DId you recreate the bootable Windows 10 installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Might also want to mention the make and model of the 750W PSU you used and if it's old, it's age.

If the system doesn't reboot when the side panel is left open, then I'm leaning towards a heating issue.

You might want to also see if the system is unstable when only working off the iGPU on your i7-7700.

Jul 21, 2019
Which BIOS update are you on at the moment? DId you recreate the bootable Windows 10 installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Might also want to mention the make and model of the 750W PSU you used and if it's old, it's age.

If the system doesn't reboot when the side panel is left open, then I'm leaning towards a heating issue.

You might want to also see if the system is unstable when only working off the iGPU on your i7-7700.

The BIOS update is 7A71v16 from the MSI website. I did not recreate the bootable windows 10 installer, I believe I restalled through "Reset PC" from windows settings (this was several months ago) The PSU was the eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750 Watt Power Supply

Jul 21, 2019
The BIOS version is E7A71IMS.160

I also updated my windows 10 and underclocked my gpu with MSI Afterburner by a little bit. Running Heaven I was able to pass the test, but immediately after it shutdown but the computer was able to restart on its own.

Jul 21, 2019

I just tried heaven with the case panel off and it crashed right after I closed heaven and returned to desktop after I finished the benchmark. The computer was able to restart on its own.