Question When plugged into my modem I get a higher download speed.

Jan 31, 2019
So lately I've been downloading things very slowly. When I go to speedtest.net my download speed is always somewhere between 800-940 mbs/s. But when I download any games or anything I won't download faster than 2MB/s. When plugged into my modem I download at 70-80MB/s. I've looked through my router and uPnP isn't enabled, neither is dynamic QoS, or the traffic meter. It's been like this for almost 2 years and when I call my ISP they say the issue isn't on their end and leave it at that. When one of their technicians came over they couldn't figure out either, so they left and I still had to pay for their "help". I have tried googling and researching everything I can and can't find a solution, so any suggestions are appreciated, thank you.

kanewolf

Titan
So lately I've been downloading things very slowly. When I go to speedtest.net my download speed is always somewhere between 800-940 mbs/s. But when I download any games or anything I won't download faster than 2MB/s. When plugged into my modem I download at 70-80MB/s. I've looked through my router and uPnP isn't enabled, neither is dynamic QoS, or the traffic meter. It's been like this for almost 2 years and when I call my ISP they say the issue isn't on their end and leave it at that. When one of their technicians came over they couldn't figure out either, so they left and I still had to pay for their "help". I have tried googling and researching everything I can and can't find a solution, so any suggestions are appreciated, thank you.
Please list all the network hardware and note if you use any in-wall cabling to connect to the router.

The Nighthawk X6 R8000 is a beast.
The issue could be related to the computer NIC, a faulty Ethernet cable, issues between modem and router (handshake, configuration, etc) and so on.
Try updating the network device on the computer and using different Ethernet cable between modem and router.

Jan 31, 2019
The Nighthawk X6 R8000 is a beast.
The issue could be related to the computer NIC, a faulty Ethernet cable, issues between modem and router (handshake, configuration, etc) and so on.
Try updating the network device on the computer and using different Ethernet cable between modem and router.
So try getting a PCI network card? And if so, will any cheap one work or should I get a good one?

So try getting a PCI network card? And if so, will any cheap one work or should I get a good one?
Which motherboard or PC model do you have?

Before buying a NIC

-Try resetting TCP / IP Stack.
To reset TCP / IP Stack, open Command Prompt as administrator.
Type netsh int ip reset, and hit Enter.

-Try a new Ethernet cable between the Modem and router.
-Try resetting the router
-Try updating network card drivers first.

Jan 31, 2019

Before buying a NIC

I have an MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon. I'll try those and get back to you.

Jan 31, 2019

Before buying a NIC

Retting the TCP/IP stack didn't work. I repalced the cable between the modem and router and that still didn't work. I updated the network driver and that also didn't work. In the adapter settings there are a lot of different options, does this just stay on "Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing"?

I have an MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon. I'll try those and get back to you.
Since connected to the modem you get very good speed then I don't think is the motherboard NIC.

In the adapter settings there are a lot of different options, does this just stay on "Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing"?
Those setting should be left alone unless you know what you're doing.
"Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing" allows a time gap between packets to help when there is excessive Ethernet packet collisions on the network.

Jan 31, 2019
Since connected to the modem you get very good speed then I don't think is the motherboard NIC.

Those setting should be left alone unless you know what you're doing.
"Adaptive Inter-Frame Spacing" allows a time gap between packets to help when there is excessive Ethernet packet collisions on the network.
Hmm, so if none of that would be causing the issue what else might it be? Sorry I forgot to mention this earlier, but this is only happening for my computer. At first I thought it might be the wires running to my computer but they've been the same since before this issue. And it also started happening after I wiped my computer and reinstalled windows.

To know the version of Windows 10.
Tap the Windows key + R and type winver and hit Enter. The version number will be displayed.

A word of advice, never use drives from a CD or DVD....Always get the latest drivers from the manufacturer website. The included drivers are outdated by the time you get them.

Go to Device Manager, right click the Intel network adapter and select uninstall.
Reboot and allow Windows to install the drivers.
Test your download speed by downloading a file from Microsoft or similar website.

If the issue is still present, then use the LAN drivers from the motherboard website.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-driver&Win10 64

Jan 31, 2019
To know the version of Windows 10.
Tap the Windows key + R and type winver and hit Enter. The version number will be displayed.

A word of advice, never use drives from a CD or DVD....Always get the latest drivers from the manufacturer website. The included drivers are outdated by the time you get them.

Go to Device Manager, right click the Intel network adapter and select uninstall.
Reboot and allow Windows to install the drivers.
Test your download speed by downloading a file from Microsoft or similar website.

If the issue is still present, then use the LAN drivers from the motherboard website.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-driver&Win10 64
Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.864). I tried all that and the issue is still happening. I'm going to be getting a new computer soon anyways, hopefully that fixes the issue.

So how do I change versions? My computer says my Windows is up to date.
You could either start from scratch by creating a Windows 10 installation media (an 8GB or larger USB flash drive is required) by downloading and running the tool on link below. That will erase all your files. If you have more than one disk on the computer disconnect them and just leave the disk where Windows will be installed.

Or you could click the Update now button (link below) and following the steps on the Windows upgrade tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Jan 31, 2019
You could either start from scratch by creating a Windows 10 installation media (an 8GB or larger USB flash drive is required) by downloading and running the tool on link below. That will erase all your files. If you have more than one disk on the computer disconnect them and just leave the disk where Windows will be installed.

Or you could click the Update now button (link below) and following the steps on the Windows upgrade tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Hmm, just updated to 1909 and I'm still having the issue, getting high speeds on speed tests but when actually downloading something it's still stuck at 2MB/s

Yea, everything caps out at 2MB/s unless I'm taking a speed test, like from speedtest.net
What are you using to check your download speed?

Try this.
Open Control Panel.
Click Network and Sharing Center.
On the left pane click on Change adapter settings.
Right click the network device (Local are network) and select Properties from the popup menu.
Click the Configure button.
Select the Advanced tab.

From the Property list, under Speed & Duplex, switch the connection type to either 100Mbps Half Duplex, or 100Mbps Full Duplex or 1.0Gbps Full Duplex.
Test your download speed with each setting.

Last edited: