[SOLVED] Which CPU is better for Streaming/Gaming? Ryzen 3700x or Ryzen 5600x?

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Hello there, I currently stream at (Very Fast Preset, 6700 Bitrate, CBR, High Profile, 720p Output) using the Ryzen 2600 and I struggle to stream games without getting a huge limit in FPS, (ex. In Overwatch I get about 200+ FPS on Medium Settings, but when streaming I drop to 80-120 FPS). Which should be expected as my quality settings are quite high, but I want to balance out smoothness and quality. I know that people usually don't care about stream quality to a certain extent, but I want to make sure my streams are semi-crystal clear and smooth using 1080p Output. With my current settings, I drop down to 40 FPS even in games like ROBLOX and it causes the stream to start stuttering. My current solution to all of this is having performance mode on in Streamlabs but it limits my view of settings, (I can't see preview, Audio Levels, etc.). I know I have the AMD Encoder on my 5700XT but the quality compared to x264 is not great, and it still uses a lot of resources when playing higher end games. I'm planning on streaming Godfall as I have an early access key for the game, but I heard it'll be very demanding. Before then, I want to make sure I can stream the game at a semi-decent quality and smooth for both the viewer and me.

Looking at most of the single PC streamers out there, (ex. xQc), most of them use the i9-9900k/Ryzen 3700x/Ryzen 3800x, 8 Core 16 Thread CPU's. They usually all stream at 1080p completely fine. I was looking at the 3700x since my current board is B450. But with the launch of Zen 3, I'm not sure what to choose. 5600x is about 30% faster than my 2600 in gaming, but the 3700x is faster in encoding. The 5600x will be a HUGE step up from my Ryzen 2600 in gaming performance, and the 3700x will be a HUGE step up for encoding speeds using x264. Both of the CPU's are in my budget, anything above that I can't buy. Someone please help, not sure what to buy.

I would suggest a new GPU, but then GPUs are too costly. You could however sell yours and then get a good Nvidia GPU and use NVENC. But to answer your question, from a YT video I can see the 5600X is at par with the 3700X for HEVC x265, couldn't find x264. In that case I'd say get the 5600X because you get better gaming performance too. Another option is 3700X OC (but then again, 5600X OC?)

TRENDING THREADS