[SOLVED] Which is better for Video editing, Programming, and Gaming Among these

Jan 23, 2020
1) MSI GE65 Raider - 051 240Hz Gaming Laptop

2) MSI GE75 Raider - 286 144Hz Gaming Laptop

Both these laptops are i7 9th gen RTX 2070, 16GB, 512GB NVMe

3) MSI P75 Creator - 895 17.3" FHD
i7 9th gen, rtx 2060 , 32GB , 1TB NVMe, have Thunderbolt 3 , Windows 10 Pro

4) MSI P65 Creator - 1084 15.6" 4K UHD
i7 9th gen, rtx 2060, 32GB, 1TB Teton Glacier SSD, Windows10 Pro, VR Ready, Thunderbolt 3

Solution
They are all marketed with "IPS-Level" displays, so I'm a little confused, honestly.
I fully expected the 240Hz to be a TN.

It's going to depend on your priorities and prices.

For editing/programing, the 32GB and larger SSD would likely make the most sense - although trading off the stronger GPU and, potentially, the higher refresh rates. Neither of the Creators (as far as I can tell) specific refresh rate, so I have to assume 60Hz...

For gaming, either of the Raider's seem like the better option. Stronger GPU, higher refresh rate. Tradeoff in RAM and SSD size. 512GB and 16GB is still 'fine' for hobby-level editing etc though.

Of course, price will be worth considering here.
I'd be very surprised if options 1 & 2 are priced...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
They are all marketed with "IPS-Level" displays, so I'm a little confused, honestly.
I fully expected the 240Hz to be a TN.

It's going to depend on your priorities and prices.

For editing/programing, the 32GB and larger SSD would likely make the most sense - although trading off the stronger GPU and, potentially, the higher refresh rates. Neither of the Creators (as far as I can tell) specific refresh rate, so I have to assume 60Hz...

For gaming, either of the Raider's seem like the better option. Stronger GPU, higher refresh rate. Tradeoff in RAM and SSD size. 512GB and 16GB is still 'fine' for hobby-level editing etc though.

Of course, price will be worth considering here.
I'd be very surprised if options 1 & 2 are priced identically (given the refresh rate and all else being equal), and similar for 3 & 4 (all else equal, but different resolutions).

Solution
Jan 23, 2020
Thank you, :) speaking of the prices of the laptops as you mentioned is surprisingly almost same , the option 1 being little more than option 2 .

Option 3 being expensive than Option 4

These days, I think majority of the screen panels in laptops are with IPS technology with less response time.

I believe MSI P series as they are new (CPU, GPU) would be robust, lasting 3-5 years.
However, GE series are performance oriented which makes a question on their durability,.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, #1 being a little more expensive than #2 makes sense - you're paying for the higher refresh rate.

As far as IPS, I'm not convinced they all are. Consider the desktop space, there's only a couple of 240Hz IPS 1080p panels on the market.... Chances of it being 'true' IPS and 240Hz in a laptop are pretty slim.

#3 being more expensive that #4 is a little strange, 1080p being more expensive that 4K, although it does have a larger screen size.

Given all you've described.... Personally, I'd lean a little more towards option #2

Jan 23, 2020
Yeah, #1 being a little more expensive than #2 makes sense - you're paying for the higher refresh rate.

As far as IPS, I'm not convinced they all are. Consider the desktop space, there's only a couple of 240Hz IPS 1080p panels on the market.... Chances of it being 'true' IPS and 240Hz in a laptop are pretty slim.

#3 being more expensive that #4 is a little strange, 1080p being more expensive that 4K, although it does have a larger screen size.

Given all you've described.... Personally, I'd lean a little more towards option #2

Looks like Option #2 is better

There are few in market which does have IPS panel which I want to bring into limelight is Lenovo Legion Y740 17" Laptop having 15.6 inch FHD Nvidia Gsync 144 Hz, HDR 400 , brightness of 500 nits.

Processor: 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H (2.60GHz, up to 4.50GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache).
Memory: 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 (2 x 8GB). (MAX 32GB 2666 MHz)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q 8GB GDDR6
Storage: 256GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe and 1TB HDD 7200rpm 2.5-inch.

which makes it very appealing. :D

TRENDING THREADS