[SOLVED] Which mobo to choose for ryzen 3700x?

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
Hey guys so im thinking if i should go for the msi tomahawk max b450 at 124€ or for an x 570 board like gigabyte gaming x at 172€.Is it worth the extra price or should i go with the b450 and save some money?

Solution
Ok thnx so much for the help.I will think about it a bit more also i think this isnt the same board cause the one im looking at is the msi tomahawk max i think its a better version or something.https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

the difference are the Max version does come to support ryzen 3rd gen out of the box you dont need to do a BIOS update.

better ram support and a gigabit lan controler along with more usb 3.2 ports

so id assume the vrm and other components would be exactly identical.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
well if i was in your position id go for the gigabyte gaming x or any equivalent to it (170usd range) although i have heard you would want to update your bios to the latest version for x570 for 3rd gen ryzen to fix some bugs now i cant be certain of what it means or if its a widespread issue but research is key for this part.

but if ever the money you save from buying the b450 board would go somewhere, maybe it can add to your GPU or better ram kit budget for example id go the b450 route.

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
well if i was in your position id go for the gigabyte gaming x or any equivalent to it (170usd range) although i have heard you would want to update your bios to the latest version for x570 for 3rd gen ryzen to fix some bugs now i cant be certain of what it means or if its a widespread issue but research is key for this part.

but if ever the money you save from buying the b450 board would go somewhere, maybe it can add to your GPU or better ram kit budget for example id go the b450 route.
Why would i go for x570 though?Are there any major advantages?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Why would i go for x570 though?Are there any major advantages?

well first of its a higher end chipset than the b450,
it is built for ryzen 3rd gen.
it has pcie 4.0 but nothing really uses pcie 4.0 but it doesnt hurt to have it either
it has better ram support (which ryzen loves).
and it has better power delivery (vrm) which your 3700x needs.

yes the max version is updated with latest bios and can support 3rd gen ryzen but then again if you can afford the x570 which is a chipset build for your cpu why would you get the b450? its a low to mid range option but not bad either its vrms arent really the best and might throttle your cpu in some worst case scenario.

and most importantly if the money you are going to save for buying the b450 doesnt really go anywhere useful then theres really on point in saving that money so just get the best one you can afford. you can google comparisons of both and you would find more answers if you are not convinced.

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
well first of its a higher end chipset than the b450,
it is built for ryzen 3rd gen.
it has pcie 4.0 but nothing really uses pcie 4.0 but it doesnt hurt to have it either
it has better ram support (which ryzen loves).
and it has better power delivery (vrm)

yes the max version is updated with latest bios and can support 3rd gen ryzen but then again if you can afford the x570 which is a chipset build for your cpu why would you get the b450? its a low to mid range option but not bad either its vrms arent really the best and might throttle your cpu in some worst case scenario.

and most importantly if the money you are going to save for buying the b450 doesnt really go anywhere useful then theres really on point in saving that money so just get the best one you can afford. you can google comparisons of both and you would find more answers if you are not convinced.
I see ok thnx for the help.Do you have any suggestions for an x570 of around the price of gigabyte one?
Some other options i saw were asrock asrock phantom gaming 4
msi x570 a pro asrock x570 pro4
asus prime x570-p

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
you can go with any of them really but from what ive read the asus prime has the best vrm out of the sub 200usd x570s but its not leagues ahead of vrms from gigabyte or msi.

i suggest you look for gamersnexus video on best x570 or x470 boards for ryzen 3xxx. i had watched the vid but cant really recall the details but for sub 200usd boards the asus gigabyte and msi offerings are all good with the gigabyte and msi featuring bios flashback i believe in case you screw up some bios flash.

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
you can go with any of them really but from what ive read the asus prime has the best vrm out of the sub 200usd x570s but its not leagues ahead of vrms from gigabyte or msi.

i suggest you look for gamersnexus video on best x570 or x470 boards for ryzen 3xxx. i had watched the vid but cant really recall the details but for sub 200usd boards the asus gigabyte and msi offerings are all good with the gigabyte and msi featuring bios flashback i believe in case you screw up some bios flash.
I checked the video and he mostly suggests gigabyte elite asus prime is a good one too but it doesnt have bios flashback

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
yea, but tbh you cant really go wrong with either of them. if you want to overclock or play around with your cpu its obviously better to get the asus on your budget since it has the better vrms, but if you dont plan on overclocking chose one that you fancy. bios flashback is a good feature to have makes it safer to update the bios. but not entirely necessary.

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
yea, but tbh you cant really go wrong with either of them. if you want to overclock or play around with your cpu its obviously better to get the asus on your budget since it has the better vrms, but if you dont plan on overclocking chose one that you fancy. bios flashback is a good feature to have makes it safer to update the bios. but not entirely necessary.
I suppose the b450 will not be able to overclock right? the msi tomahawk max

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
I suppose the b450 will not be able to overclock right? the msi tomahawk max

you could but its not something you would want to do, im no vrm expert but i know that b450 especially on the cheap dont come with robust vrms to support good overclocking especially on a high end cpu like yours.

there are some b450 mobo that have good overclocking capabilities you can probably find them on gamersnexus channel as well.

Reactions: kostask5

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
you could but its not something you would want to do, im no vrm expert but i know that b450 especially on the cheap dont come with robust vrms to support good overclocking especially on a high end cpu like yours.

there are some b450 mobo that have good overclocking capabilities you can probably find them on gamersnexus channel as well.
Thnx ill check it out do u also know where i can find the vrm that msi tomahawk max has?

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
the msi b450 tomahawk is pretty good it seems.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MvYeCLI5ZbIpnq5fyiWD4NCkkU/edit#gid=229691480

so you might be ok with the msi tomahawk after all if you fancy that option. but personally id just go for either x470 or x570, but its just me.
Ok thnx so much for the help.I will think about it a bit more also i think this isnt the same board cause the one im looking at is the msi tomahawk max i think its a better version or something.https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

the difference are the Max version does come to support ryzen 3rd gen out of the box you dont need to do a BIOS update.

Solution

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014

Ok thnx for all the help.Its a tough choice ill either go with the b450 save some money go over my budget and get the aorus elite which is propably the best choice for 200€

Reactions: j3ster

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Ok thnx for all the help.Its a tough choice ill either go with the b450 save some money go over my budget and get the aorus elite which is propably the best choice for 200€

good choice on saving for a 200usd or better board, i would have pointed it out too but i was just concerned that your max budget is around 170usd at maximum. but saving to get a far better mobo or pc component in general is the best idea you can have, you dont have to rush things plus the aorus elite x570 looks far better than sub 200usd x570 boards along with just better everything. anyways good luck and happy gaming/using your pc. glad to have helped somehow. ^_^

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
good choice on saving for a 200usd or better board, i would have pointed it out too but i was just concerned that your max budget is around 170usd at maximum. but saving to get a far better mobo or pc component in general is the best idea you can have, you dont have to rush things plus the aorus elite x570 looks far better than sub 200usd x570 boards along with just better everything. anyways good luck and happy gaming/using your pc. glad to have helped somehow. ^_^
Yeah you really helped a lot thanks.Also if u have a bit more time is there a custom rtx 2070 super you would suggest?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
well for RTX 2070 super i personally love the Gigabyte Aorus or the MSI gaming X trio.

since they pretty much perform the same might as well go for what looks better or has better cooling or would fit your theme, so if like you get a MSI mobo id probably go msi gaming x trio.

https://videocardz.net/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super

but the asus strix has the highest out of the box clock speed for the 2070 super.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Are the temperatures alright even with a stock cooler?
I never used the stock cooler.
I bought an Arctic 33 eSports Edition, Dual fan cooler when I bought my 2600 and I am using it on my 3700x now.
My 3700x idles between 32 and 34C (my room temp is 22-23c) and maxes out around 60C when gaming for 3 to 4 hours or more.
And I have seen it get as high as 78-79c while running Aida64 stress test.

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
I bought an Arctic 33 eSports Edition, Dual fan cooler when I bought my 2600 and I am using it on my 3700x now.
My 3700x idles between 32 and 34C (my room temp is 22-23c) and maxes out around 60C when gaming for 3 to 4 hours or more.
well for RTX 2070 super i personally love the Gigabyte Aorus or the MSI gaming X trio.

since they pretty much perform the same might as well go for what looks better or has better cooling or would fit your theme, so if like you get a MSI mobo id probably go msi gaming x trio.

https://videocardz.net/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super

but the asus strix has the highest out of the box clock speed for the 2070 super.
I see those two cards are way out of my budget sadly so i was thinking for the gainward phantom gs , zotac twin fan, palit super gs or asus evo

kostask5

Honorable
BANNED
Dec 10, 2014
I saw that the stock cooler is a pretty good one so i was thinking i would be alright without buying an aftermarket one

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
I see those two cards are way out of my budget sadly so i was thinking for the gainward phantom gs , zotac twin fan, palit super gs or asus evo

you can still go with them i dont really see a reason that they would be significantly worse in terms of performance, but in cooling itll be a different story you would suffer from thermal throttling to some extent but i wouldnt worry too much about that and you can go with any of them but id probably go with Asus evo among the cards you listed.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I saw that the stock cooler is a pretty good one so i was thinking i would be alright without buying an aftermarket one
The stock cooler will work fine as long as you aren't overclocking the CPU (leave PBO disabled) and don't mind that it is really loud (from what I've seen posted in these forums).
Just don't be surprised if you see idles temperatures in the mid to high 40's or even low 50's.
But from what AMD is saying those temperatures are fine and won't hurt your CPU.