Question Which Motherboard + CPU combo from the following should I go for?

janak2345

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Hi

I have the option to get the following cpu + mobo combos:
  • i5 12400f + Asus Prime H610M-E D4 @ 14657 INR
  • i5 12400f + MSI Pro B760M-E DDR4 @ 14590 INR
I understand that a B series motherboard is generally considered the better option, but is that really the case here?

NOWHERE on the internet can I find ANY information about the vrm or its phases on the MSI board which makes me question the mobo.

Same goes with the Asus, but at least they have "DIGI+ VRM" mentioned on their official website which makes me want to consider it over the MSI one even though I have no idea what DIGI+ VRM is. Just the fact that they are talking about it officially gives me some confidence.

If anyone has any info about the vrm on the MSI or for that matter more info on the Asus could you please share?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
IMHO, you shouldn't pick up a F SKU processor since that iGPU will be very valuable when troubleshooting discrete GPU related issues. From those two options, I'd look at the B series chipset but I wouldn't invest in a motherboard that doesn't have form of heatsink/cooling on the VRM area, then again what sort of features are you looking for in your motherboard?

What sort of a budget have you set aside for your motherboard/processor purchase? Preferred site for purchase? The currency stated in your OP, says you're located in India.

janak2345

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
IMHO, you shouldn't pick up a F SKU processor since that iGPU will be very valuable when troubleshooting discrete GPU related issues. From those two options, I'd look at the B series chipset but I wouldn't invest in a motherboard that doesn't have form of heatsink/cooling on the VRM area, then again what sort of features are you looking for in your motherboard?

What sort of a budget have you set aside for your motherboard/processor purchase? Preferred site for purchase? The currency stated in your OP, says you're located in India.

at the moment the i5 12400F in my country (India) is 30% cheaper than the 12400..

I understand the iGPU is important, but I am on a very tight budget. If I ever run into GPU issues I would not have any problem arranging for a spare GPU for troubleshooting.

I am also not very happy about the motherboards not having any form of heatsink on the vrm, but again I am on a tight budget. Also, I am not looking for any fancy features in the motherboard. All I need is:
  • enough power so that my CPU is able to run at max clocks
  • 4+ usbs (mix of usb 2, 3.2 gen 1 is good enough for me)
  • 1 x m.2 gen 3
P.S. The main purpose of this PC is gaming (1080p), entertainment, and maybe a little bit of programming. No video rendering / editing and all that other good stuff.

Preferred sites:

Budget: 14000 (cpu + mobo)