Question Which motherboard is the best out of these 3 for i5 13600k/14600k?

General_Cool

Distinguished
In order from best to worst (none are bad):
1. Asus
2. Gigabyte
3. MSI

My personal opinion? My 8 year old Gigabyte board is still going strong; been through multiple PSUs, in and out of different cases, overclocks, and has been very happy. Had an Asus board that died after 4 years. I'm sure a lot has changed since the near decade ago that this experience is from, but I am not an Asus fan. For MSI, most of the motherboard related issues on this forum you will find are from MSI boards from both recent and old boards. I do not know what to say about recent Gigabyte board quality but it sounds like they're nothing like what they used to be.

TL;DR: Get the ASUS.

Reactions: iShoTz
Do you plan on overclocking or ever moving to a more powerful processor? If so buy none of those because the VRM on all 3 are one rung above the worst that is sold today (which is still bad). Of the 3 in the post the Asus would be the best choice from a hardware design perspective.

If the reason you're looking at those is budget related I think you'd be better off buying ASRock B760M Steel Legend WiFi even though I'm not a big fan of ASRock's BIOS support.

MSI MAG B760M MORTAR WIFI II Micro is a better choice from MSI than the MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR5.

iShoTz

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Do you plan on overclocking or ever moving to a more powerful processor? If so buy none of those because the VRM on all 3 are one rung above the worst that is sold today (which is still bad). Of the 3 in the post the Asus would be the best choice from a hardware design perspective.

If the reason you're looking at those is budget related I think you'd be better off buying ASRock B760M Steel Legend WiFi even though I'm not a big fan of ASRock's BIOS support.

MSI MAG B760M MORTAR WIFI II Micro is a better choice from MSI than the MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR5.
No I’m not planning on overclocking

JackrumMadthing

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I have a different order altogether. I build PC's sourced from local importers in South Africa:

1. MSI - Never had a single MSI unit fail ever, and its cheaper than the ASUS with nearly the same features (Extra PCI, +5 USB, has a PS/2 port, -1 Fan Headers, 4800Mhz RAM)
  2. ASUS - The best overall PC brand, based purely on amazing reliability and service with the coolest and best tech features overall...but...has a price tag premium (+64GB max Ram (198, but i mean wtf) 5600Mhz RAM
  3. Gigabyte - Used to be the good cheap alternative, recently for me I've had consistent early failures in new components (Extra M2, -1 USB, +2 Fan Headers, 3200mhz RAM)
So while I can't tell you if we are receiving duds from a series of factory nonsense last year alone, I've had overall more Gigabyte failures in 26yrs in the business than anything else(6 Motherboards, 12 GPUS, 7 mice last year, average over 118 units sold). I've also sold and owned Gigabyte items that are still going strong years later, and obviously if they consistently sold lemons they would be out of business!

Based on the Features : Price, personally I stick with my above posted order
(Spam Filter fighting me! I'm trying to put in feature differences)

Last edited: