logan the huge

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

shubham1401

Distinguished
1000+ watt PSU is needed only if you have multiple power hungry cards.

Mention your systems full specs.
We'll recommend a good PSU.

If I had to choose from those 2 i'll go for ABS Majesty.
But a 3 year warranty for such high priced PSU doesn't boosts my confidence over the unit.
Many manufacturers are offering 5 to 7 year warranty for much cheaper PSU.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

are you kidding? the ABS is awful, i wouldnt want it as a paperweight.

if you are going to spend so much on a PSU id get a corsair. the PSU is the most important part of a system and the last thing to skimp on. a corsair hx850 would b easily capable of running any dual GPU setup, so grab one of those and be sure in the knowledge your PSU wont bust.

+1 what welshmousepk said.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty.

You probably dont even need a PSU that big you only need a 1000 watts if you are running 3 or more GPUs or 2 HD 5970's ot GTX 480's For most setups a 550 watt PSU is all you will ever need now If you plan on running crossfire a Good Quality 650watt to 750 watt PSU will run just about any dual GPU out.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency. On the other hand the top of the line 5970 video card uses more power.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

I agree with this.

My Main rig has a Q66 with 2 4890 GPU,s in CF all OC,ed and 2 water loops with 2 pumps
along with 7 fans and 2 HDD,s powered by older not so great Antec NEO 650watt Blue PSU and now a Seasonic X750 PSU.

Both push my rig just fine. The X750 is better overall quality and more efficient.

Total load power when gaming drawn from the wall is right around 475 to 500watts max. This is according to my Kill-a-watt meter.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Yea, i was going to get the X650, but wanted the little extra head room of the 750.
Since i am running the 4890,s, the 650 would have been plenty.

I also have a Gold rated (beta) 1200watt 98 amp single rail CM PSU
setting in my closet that i have no use for. LOL.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
12 volt rail ratings? well the higher the better, so to speak.
The 80 + rating being bronze, silver or gold basically
means how efficient the power supply is at taking (converting)
AC power from the wall and using it as DC voltage in
your computer.