[SOLVED] Why am I still getting bad ping?

May 6, 2020
These have been some of the longest months of my life. My internet plan is Charter Spectrum 100d 10u (the best plan for my area) and I have a CAT6a ethernet connection. I have swapped my router, modem, ethernet cable, and some network sockets were removed by charter because they were giving off "bad connections". After all of this my ping skyrockets from 20-30 to 300-600, and my download and upload plummet down to less than one. This happens during gaming sessions and even when my computer is idle. Could this possibly be because of my pc hardware? Am I just doomed to have garbage internet? Is this just 100% my isp? Any leads at all would help! C:

PC SPECS
\\\
ZOTAC 1070ti
R7 2700X
B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC
2X16GB TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4-3200
800W EVGA PSU
NZXT S340 ELITE

Solution
Be nice if it showed hop 2.

Most times this means you are over using your internet connection. Check to be sure nobody is downloading anything.....be sure to check that steam and windows are not doing some auto update.

If not it could be that the ISP has oversold the network and it is traffic from your neighbors. You would generally see it work around this time but better say in 5 or 6 hours. You hope it is not this because the ISP will deny it and will not fix it.
You need to do some more detailed testing.

First run ping to your router ip. If you see issues here it can be your pc or the router and rarely your ethernet cable. If you see issues here try to plug directly into the modem and see what happens when you ping 8.8.8.8

Next run tracert 8.8.8.8 and run a constant ping to hop 2. This is the connection between your house and the ISP. Problems here when you see no issues to your router indicate some issue with the connection. You should also check the logs in the modem to see if you are getting errors. There should also be screens that show the signal levels and you can look those up to see if there are within recommended values.

Reactions: Tumie
That is actually very helpful.

It appears you are having issues with IPv6 but ipv4 works ok. You should be able to disable IPv6 support in your nic settings. Only a very tiny handful of sites are IPv6 only. Even though all the ISP have said IPv6 is the future for the last 20yrs they have worse network connections that ipv4

Reactions: Tumie
Be nice if it showed hop 2.

Most times this means you are over using your internet connection. Check to be sure nobody is downloading anything.....be sure to check that steam and windows are not doing some auto update.

If not it could be that the ISP has oversold the network and it is traffic from your neighbors. You would generally see it work around this time but better say in 5 or 6 hours. You hope it is not this because the ISP will deny it and will not fix it.

Solution
May 6, 2020
I have literally NOTHING open or downloading and it will still do this. I do however live in an apartment but all of my neighbors are fairly old and I wouldn't think they'd be too tech-savvy. This really sucks though because I have the best charter plan and charter is the only isp in my area with decent ping and plans above 10d 10u. I have always hated Minnesota but ping is just another reason to leave this <Mod Edit> hole state.

Last edited by a moderator: