Question Why cant i see my cpu cooler

Mar 20, 2019
Hello, so i was watching my pc from the inside and i noticed i cant see a cpu cooler because a big green plastic thing is covering it .
Can someone explain me what it is?

PS: (My cpu is a little bit old)

It might be some sort of a cooler cone or fan shroud depending on the model. A lot of Dells have the fan shroud set up to direct airflow to use the case fan as the CPU fan.

Can you take the side panel off and take a photo? You can use IMGUR to upload it so we can see it.

Eximo

Titan
Herald
Those are ducting shrouds.

On a lot of OEM PCs what they would do is use a single exhaust fan or CPU fan and a plastic duct to direct the air to the exact place they wanted it to go.

In a more standard PC there would be a CPU fan and a rear exhaust fan. So they save themselves the cost of one fan by using a cheap piece of plastic.

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
Flipped ATX? You mean BTX? Yes probably. From the looks it's a lga775 BTX and if hazard a guess it's a Pentium D on a 915 chipset. Looks remarkably like an old Dell my kid had, used intake with shroud to cool the cpu and the psu was the exhaust.

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
Lol. C2D was nothing more than a Pentium D on steroids, one generation newer. You could mix-n-match them all day. The issues came if you didn't have a newer or stronger chipset, like a 965 or better and tried to use a C2Q or even a q6600

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS