[SOLVED] Why do I get FPS drops in Doom Eternal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2021
Hi people,

It´s my first post so sorry if its not correct, well my problem it´s that when i play Doom Eternal i have fps drops like from 200fps to 30 fps in random moments, like its not triggered by any program, i have checked what can be, like the graphics settings or what but i just keeps happening, i have all the recent drivers and my configuration its this one:

Motherbase: MSI PRO VDI B550M
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 37000X
GPU:MSI VENTUS x3 OC 3060 TI
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
SDD: 120GB sandisk (only for the OS)
HDD: Barracuda green 1TB (the game its here installed and the hdd is plenty and old )
SCREEN: Triple monitor setup Full HD (doom i dont play it on triple screen, i just play it on one screen)

The only thing that im having issues at this moment with is the HDD that is at his 90% but this issue has been when the HDD was at his 30% so i dont think it could be the HDD.
I also checked the temperature of the components and all of them doesnt go up to 70% (the GPU only reachs 58% at 100% of ussage)
I have done a benchmark and this are the results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 118%, Desk 90%, Work 118%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 90.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060-Ti - 130.2%
SSD: Kingston A400 120GB - 28.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 91.2%
RAM: Adata DDR4 3200 2x8GB - 85.6%
MBD: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (MS-7C95)

And the game i play on Bethesda Launcher i dont know if this can be an issue but i say it.

If any one has any solution or has solved this problem it would be really thankfull for the solution! Thanks to all!

Solution
Hopefully they will fix the update on the game if that is the issue.

if budget allows, I would highly suggest upgrading to a 512gB NVME (if MB supports it), you never want an SSD close to capacity for a variety of reasons.

Did I read that right that the game is installed on your GREEN drive? If so upgrade to larger SSD and put games on the SSD/NVME. You don't want any games loading/running from a green drive.
Mar 19, 2021
check the hdd usage during the drop.
Hi, i have checked it and it was low like 20% , but i noticed that the write speed was like 26 KB/s or 1mb/s when the drop happened and before that it went like 40mb/s so do u think it can be this whats making the fpsdrop?

Thanks for answering!

Mar 19, 2021
What are the actual operating temperatures (not percentages) of the CPU and GPU when operating at idle and under load (like when gaming)?

Also, what are you overclocking (CPU, GPU, memory), if anything?

the CPU when its idle its arround 45ºC and GPU 33ºC and when i play the CPU its 65ºC (maximum 70ºC) and GPU 54ºC (max 60ºC)

And, no, im not overclocking anything. thanks for your answer!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Mar 19, 2021
Are you running the most recent BIOS for your motherboard (helps sometimes improve performance of newer GPUs)?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B550M-PRO-VDH-WIFI

Also, are both your AMD chipset and Nvidia GPU drivers up to date?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/171474/en-us

yes are all of them updated, so i dont really know what can be :( the only thing it could be its the hdd and i will change it in a future but i want to really know what it is

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That HDD is rather "slow". Also, your 120GB SSD is small.

What is the location of your Windows virtual memory? The SSD or HDD?

You could reinstall your games to the SSD to see if that helps.

I typically recommend no smaller than a 256GB SSD (512GB or larger is even better). That allows you to install Windows and key apps to the SSD for greater performance.

Mar 19, 2021
That HDD is rather "slow". Also, your 120GB SSD is small.

What is the location of your Windows virtual memory? The SSD or HDD?

You could reinstall your games to the SSD to see if that helps.

I typically recommend no smaller than a 256GB SSD (512GB or larger is even better). That allows you to install Windows and key apps to the SSD for greater performance.

Windows is installed on the SSD and the games are on the HDD , i think i will buy a Nvme of 1TB to use it for gaming and see if that solves the problem (i dont think so)

Mar 19, 2021
Mar 19, 2021
Try installing a game to the SSD first (assuming you have space) to see how it performs there before buying a new SSD. Just to verify whether the HDD is the problem.

Ok so i was seeing if i had any memory on the SDD and i saw that the only game that is on the SDD installed is DOOM Eternal (this info appears on windows settings when i filter the apps that are installed on the hard drive or sdd drive) but when i enter on Bethesda`s installation folder it appears that its installed on the HDD so it might be this the real problem

Mar 19, 2021
Ok so i was seeing if i had any memory on the SDD and i saw that the only game that is on the SDD installed is DOOM Eternal (this info appears on windows settings when i filter the apps that are installed on the hard drive or sdd drive) but when i enter on Bethesda`s installation folder it appears that its installed on the HDD so it might be this the real problem

i cant show u an image of it but its really strange, so doom its installed on the sdd but it works with the sdd?

Mar 19, 2021
Your SSD is underperforming, likely because it is nearing capacity (temp files take a lot of space). The HDD, while showing good, is also an overall performance concern as it is a "slow" HDD.

and how i would solve this? because i cant install doom only on the hdd for some reason?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
120GB is too small and not really recommended for an OS drive - 256GB minimum. 120GB is workable if someone knows what they're doing(not me).

Those Kingston A400s are popular dram-less SSDs, thanks to their price. Performance-wise, they're garbage; you can't write much on them before they start choking up.
That headroom is even smaller thanks to the 120GB space.

Billowleaf

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
I was running out of space too, if you really want to spring for something you could get a 3tb ssd like I did, or get a big hhd, they are only like $50 for a few tb. Also, could you try to take a picture of where doom is, like in the system files?

Mar 19, 2021
I was running out of space too, if you really want to spring for something you could get a 3tb ssd like I did, or get a big hhd, they are only like $50 for a few tb. Also, could you try to take a picture of where doom is, like in the system files?

yes i took it but i cant upload it idk why

Mar 20, 2021
Nothing wrong with your rig mate. Your SSD is not the problem. The game stutters on some machines after the last update [update 5] - Hopefully Id will solve this issue. Take care !

sonofjesse

Distinguished

if budget allows, I would highly suggest upgrading to a 512gB NVME (if MB supports it), you never want an SSD close to capacity for a variety of reasons.

Did I read that right that the game is installed on your GREEN drive? If so upgrade to larger SSD and put games on the SSD/NVME. You don't want any games loading/running from a green drive.

Solution
Mar 19, 2021

This was happening to me before the las update so i think a new nvme will fix it haha

Thanks to all that are helping with this!! I will tell if i solve this

Status
Not open for further replies.